Cadburys Creme Eggs

taxi4ballet

Another BCoF member posted on FB yesterday that a supermarket chain has an offer that makes 6 single eggs cheaper than a box of 5.

Are you concerned about the recipe change Taxi?

Some people are advocating a boycott.

There is a recipe for homemade creme eggs also doing the rounds on FB.

• Like 2

My aunty Rita worked at Cadbury`s for most of her working life.She started on the production line,where in those days at least,for the first week,you were allowed to eat as much chocolate as you wanted ,free of charge. The philosophy being,that after a whole week of free chocolate you would be so sick of it you would probably never touch the stuff again,or hardly ever. Anyway,she worked her way up to a senior management position. She told me and my mum years ago [she`s been retired for over 20 years now] that they make Creme Eggs all year round and store them in a vast warehouse,in anticipation of selling them. Do you remember when they used to be available all year round? Then they became limited to just around the Easter time which is still the case today? My aunty told me that this is because they make more profit and sell more in that short period than they used to do when they were permanently on sale. Very clever.

They have changed the recipe; the chocolate shell is no longer made of Dairy Milk, but of a cheaper chocolate with reduced cocoa butter and increased palm oil, if I remember rightly. Twitter positively exploded in outrage a couple of days ago. Apparently the new shell tastes more like Hersheys, which I can't stand.

I have a long memory when it comes to chocolate; I haven't yet forgiven Rowntrees? or was it Terry's? for changing Black Magic chocolates and doing away with Toffee & Mallow, and the triple hazlenut cluster. Outrageous.

I will be boycotting the new creme egg until they restore it to its former sickly glory.

• Like 5

first they mess with the shape of the segments in a bar of dairy milk chocolate and replace the nice chunky pieces with those silly dome shaped things, then they start adding all sorts of rubbish like popping candy and cola beans to make 'marvellous creations' (marvellous, I think not) and now they mess with the cream egg.....is there nothing sacred?!!!

• Like 4

first they mess with the shape of the segments in a bar of dairy milk chocolate and replace the nice chunky pieces with those silly dome shaped things, then they start adding all sorts of rubbish like popping candy and cola beans to make 'marvellous creations' (marvellous, I think not) and now they mess with the cream egg.....is there nothing sacred?!!!

Why can't they just leave the British recipes as they are, to cater for British tastes?  I hated the chocolate when I was in the US, just not to my liking at all.

Having said that, I don;t like cream eggs.  Far too sickly for me.

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

I saw all the hoo-ha on FB, so decided I had to do a taste test myself ;) Well, the chocolate is not what it used to be, but they changed the recipe for that a while ago anyway. The creme filling though... ugh. 

Not entirely sure, and I'm just guessing, but I think that they have removed vanilla from the flavouring. I  wouldn't have known vanilla was in it before, but now it's not there I notice it's absence (if you see what I mean).

Oh well, I will just have to go back onto Chocolate Oranges; and if they mess about with those, there really will be trouble!

• Like 4

with you all the way there Florence. As a bit of a choccy-holic, Kraft are probably doing me a favour! I tried one of the new creme eggs, and wasn't best pleased! The gooey bit in the middle still as sweet and gooey (method - bite off the top, scoop out the middle with one's tongue, then pop the remainder of the shell for a burst of dairy milk pizazz). The choc shell just tasted and felt wrong texture wise.

As for bars of dairy milk with all that rubbish in them - sacrilege! And not to forget the huge price hike! Then there are Wispa multi packs - they use 3 of the duo sized ones, but charge the same price as the old 4-packs of full sized ones! Grrr!

• Like 3

Our village shop has had bloomin Easter eggs since before Xmas. This extension of seasons is one of my pet hates ggrrr.....

Not so bothered about creme eggs but agree would be disastrous if Terrys choc oranges were messed around with - my kids got those with popping candy in at Xmas. Didn't improve them - can't beat the plain choc ones for me.

Maybe we should be in room 101?

• Like 3

I tried the popping candy ones a year or two back - it was rather disconcerting, I felt.

Sarahw, do you object to hot cross buns immediately after Christmas, too? I noticed Sainsbury's were selling them (and having to remainder them, too - serve 'em right!)

Gosh, is nothing sacred?

I don't like crème eggs at all, but if they dare mess with the caramel eggs I shall be most unhappy.

Then again, nothing is going to match the unhappiness I felt when Sees Candy discontinued the dark-chocolate-covered crystallised ginger. That was my all-time favourite chocolate.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

Yes I do Alison! I feel it removes the 'treat' value of food products and probably means some people eat more of them.

Christmas cards in August are downright depressing.... These festivals are fun for us all, religious or otherwise, but they are ruined by over exposure - esp for the kids.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

In case anyone's interested/hungry/nostalgic,http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/ has 8 Crème Eggs for £1 today.  And specially for Melody they also have Caramel Eggs at 3 for 99p. Not sure if these are the new or old type eggs...

I've found approvedfood.co.uk to be an amazing site  - It mostly sells food which is close to or past its "best before" date  but not outside any 'use by" dates. (Only the latter is concerned with safety... there's a more detailed explanation of the distinction on the site.) There's a minimum order of £15 and a minimum postage charge of £5.99 but that's for up to 25 kgs of food, which is a huge amount. When I visit England I usually combine orders with someone who lives nearby.

Their stock varies, but as well as junk food they generally have a lot of more healthy stuff, with products for special diets (including vegetarian and gluten free). Much is around 70% off the normal price. You can also get credit for referring friends.

Yaffa (no ties to the above except as a satisifed customer who's registered to their refer-a-friend programme - deliberately not posting my referral code here)

[edited to correct typo]

Edited by Yaffa
  • Like 2