booking a box

It seems to vary from theatre to theatre. In some you have to book the whole box and in others you can book by the seat. It may be that you have to book in person or over the phone.

If the boxes are at the side of the stage the sightlines could well be awful so you need to check positioning before you book.

• Like 2

Yes, for example at the ROH the boxes have very side-on views, so you can miss a lot of the stage.  I don't think I would ever choose to sit in one, but I guess some people like them.  I've found several times when I've booked a relatively expensive seat with a full view that I've had to be moved into one of them, and it's a real letdown at times.

• Like 2

My husband booked us seats in a box for Les Mis years ago and it was a disaster. We were on the side, so right next to one of the main loudspeakers. In addition, the seats were individual ones, very old and with almost no padding, which meant that my behind suffered dreadfully sitting uncomfortably for the overlong first act. Naturally, I didn't enjoy the performance because of it. We eventually went again in order to take our sons, who wanted to see it, and this time booked regular seats in the middle of the circle and it was a totally different experience. I imagine those chairs have been replaced since then, but boxes are always on the side.

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 2

Boxes at Albert Hall to see ENB in round give a good view. Boxes at ROH give poor view of stage, you can't see some areas at all. Our local theatre has boxes all around the circle so view varies from good to poor, seats however are a risk to life and limb. You have to lift up the seat part to climb in, very heavy and a risk to fingers plus not good if you need to get out in a hurry.

• Like 1

The problem with boxes at the ROH at least is that unless you book the whole box the seats can be individually taken!!

I once queued for a performance on the day and was offered a box seat which I gratefully took at the time.

However this was a HUGE mistake never to be undertaken again!

Because......I was the fourth seat in a box already taken by three friends......with champagne etc....probably someone's birthday treat....And they definitely didn't want me there even though I really tried to be as friendly but unassuming as possible if you know what I mean.......well I realised it was a celebration of sorts ....so tried to keep a friendly but low profile. But I could feel,their resentment and it made me very uncomfortable. If I wasn't such a ballet lover I would have left at the interval!!

They had obviously been told the last seat may be sold to someone else .......but had bargained on that NOT happening!

I was sitting behind them in a not that good a view anyway.

So be Box aware. Some views from some are not that bad but think carefully if you don't really want someone else to be present if you can't book the whole box.

• Like 2

Boxes at Albert Hall to see ENB in round give a good view. Boxes at ROH give poor view of stage, you can't see some areas at all. Our local theatre has boxes all around the circle so view varies from good to poor, seats however are a risk to life and limb. You have to lift up the seat part to climb in, very heavy and a risk to fingers plus not good if you need to get out in a hurry.

Agree about the Royal Albert Hall boxes.  They are good, and you can order your drinks to be delivered there in the interval.  Always an important consideration :)

Yes, for example at the ROH the boxes have very side-on views, so you can miss a lot of the stage.  I don't think I would ever choose to sit in one, but I guess some people like them.  I've found several times when I've booked a relatively expensive seat with a full view that I've had to be moved into one of them, and it's a real letdown at times.

Why would that happen, Alison?  Who made you move?

The only time I've ever been in a box at the ROH was when I was a Friend of the Kirov (as they were then) and we could get into rehearsals for £10! We were supposed to be in the grand tier but people did spread out to the boxes. I tried one just for curiosity but though it was the one next to the grand tier the view itself wasn't nearly as good and I returned to the grand tier the first opportunity I had. The only other time I had to use a box was a performance of Northern Ballet's  Romeo and Juliet at the Grand Theatre, Blackpool. Unfortunately the balcony scene was on that side of the stage and mainly took place underneath the box so I missed it entirely! if I was to spend a lot of money on a ticket at the ROH I would go for the front row of the grand tier. My favourite seat (in the rehearsals) was actually the very end seat as you felt really close to the stage, unlike the centre when you're furthest away.