English National Ballet: Swan Lake, London, Jan 2015

Gorgeous dancing by Isaac Hernandez this afternoon. The Act 1 solo was possibly as good as Vadim's, which is the gold standard for me. He can do all the tricks too but his dancing had a real finesse to it. His partnering was very smooth. He could do with being a bit more expressive; I got the impression that he was concentrating on the partnering - which is hardly surprising as it was his debut in the role (in this production). I hope that Tamara invites him back to London.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of tempo, it was interesting to read in the programme who the current run's O/Os had been inspired by. The largest number said Makarova. The programme also said that the principal ballerina decides on the tempo for her solos and the tempo is adjusted accordingly. Everything else is taken at the same speed.

How right Jane S is in post nr 14 - the Rojo / Lendorf pairing was wonderful on 8th Jan.

Ms Rojo looked completely relaxed and lordy doesn't she have wonderful wrists and hands (amongst other things). Better than I have ever seen her, and obviously enjoying herself tremendously. Mr Lendorf was strong, gentle and fleet of foot. Between them they moved me more than I have been moved by a Swan Lake in many years!

Watching the Dress Rehearsal of ENB`s Swan Lake in manchester on their latest visit there was quite a lot of interaction between the Conductor and Ballerina over tempo when it came to her Solos - in particular the Fouettes in Act 3 . In fact after the rehearsal finished she wanted to rehearse them again so it was quite an interesting sight watching the White Feather Tutued Odette dancing Odile`s Coda !!

• Like 3

I didn't see that .....but I'd anywhere near London .....yes indeed.....will have a look. I'm now a Friend of ENB so am looking forward to other events too!

Aileen.....well I'm down the south of Gran Canaria in Meloneras.

A really great Hotel with a great African World Music band playing right now!! And I'm on my second Alexander Cocktail!!

However although it is warm compared to UK it is very WINDY at the mo so temps are down a bit ......much colder than when we came to this area about four years ago in January. Today not too bad at 21 degrees!

Yesterday however was so cold ......well about 16 degrees.....that we spent nearly the whole day in the room watching the tv about the shocking events taking place in France.......especially as I have a couple of friends who live near the Porte de Vincennes.

Sorry well off topic here but the ENB workshops are really good value for money offering unique opportunities like performing on the stage at the Coliseum! How can you beat that!!

How right Jane S is in post nr 14 - the Rojo / Lendorf pairing was wonderful on 8th Jan.

Lendorf was showing as "injured" on the cast sheet for tonight's RDB performance. I hope that's largely precautionary, and that he'll be okay to dance Siegfried as scheduled with ENB :o 

I couldn't make any of these Swan Lakes this time because of our holiday unfortunately.

I had wanted to see the Elena Glurdjidze performance which I think was scheduled for Sunday Jan 18th

Is she still dancing in this performance does anyone know?

Saw today's matinee with Cojacaru/Vasiliev/Streeter. Fabulous I really enjoyed it. ENBs SL is a lovely version. Vasiliev was good and a very genteel Prince. He treated Odette so tenderly. I must mention James Streeter who was a super Rothbart and also in the 2 shows I saw in Liverpool last November. I am so pleased we are seeing more of James.

The pas de trois was fab and young Corrales is one to watch for sure. His jumps were high and he seemed to be enjoying the part. The corps de ballet were excellent and the swans were brilliant. 10/10 from me.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 4

I too was at yesterdays performance (only got home less than an hour ago and couldn't understand how Don Q Fans post was yesterday but realised it's now past midnight!) and echo everything she said in her posting.  I was very impressed with this version never having seen it before, especially as Swan Lake isn't a favourite ballet and not one I go to see very much. However, I had to see Alina and Ivan dancing together and they didn't disappoint. Alina as sublime as always and Ivan displaying a new (and unexpected) talent for the princely roles. He reigned in his usual exuberant display especially in Act 3, (though he was still brilliant in the solos and pas de deux)  channelling his energy into his passion for Odette, and stayed within character throughout. Obviously his Siegfried is still 'a work in progress' but he has made a great start to hopefully a more classically based career and all credit to Tamara for inviting him when Russian Companies wouldn't give him the chance. Even his prodigious talents can't let him carry on doing Don Q and Flames indefinitely so he does need to get experience of different sorts of classical roles to balance out the more athletic ones in which he excels.

Apart from the 2 major stars all the Company worked together really well to produce a magical performance. the corps de ballet were exceptional as were the character dances. James Streeter was a superb Rothbart and my favourite Fernado Buffalo was brilliant in the Neapolitan Dance. All in all a great weekend (coupled with Danish Ballet) and well worth the trip from Lancashire!

• Like 5

Second viewing of the Cojocaru/Vasiliev cast, and yes, it was as good as I thought it first time around.

There is something about Vasiliev's (let's call it burly masculinity) physique that really works for the Prince - the swan is initially wary of him, and it makes perfect sense when the prince looks somewhat dangerous and overwhelming compared to the swan, but then he shows a personality tempered with care and tenderness that overcomes the initially threatening appearance. As jmhopton said, it's work in progress, and it's interesting work.

Apart from Odette and her prince, the real highlight of this swan lake is the pd3 with Corrales, Summerscales and McWhinney. Whoever decided to sign up Coralles really hit the jackpot IMHO

• Like 1

I saw this yesterday afternoon. Whilst Vasiliev didn't quite work for me, I admit this may be because I was too far away to catch nuances of his interpretation.

I strongly second what Coated has said above me, Ms Summerscales little section was especially distinguished. I wanted to see her Odile/Odette on strength of just her solo there, but of course not a ticket to be had!

• Like 2

When I watched class recently on a workshop day one of the ones who stood out for his pure style was Fernando Buffalo.

I did not know who this dancer was at the time but after looking through the Company's dancers on their website realised it was him.

I think he may be fairly new to the Company?

When I watched class recently on a workshop day one of the ones who stood out for his pure style was Fernando Buffalo.

I did not know who this dancer was at the time but after looking through the Company's dancers on their website realised it was him.

I think he may be fairly new to the Company?

He is wonderful.  He was a former member of ENB; then left ... and oh, so wisely Ms. Rojo has brought him back.  It is indeed our gain.  His performances in Corsaire and Coppelia were to be cherished. 

• Like 1

I like Fernando Bufala as well. He was the Nephew/Prince to Tamara's Clara/SPF in Nutcracker this year although I didn't see them. He is an ENB 'returner'. He returned to ENB after spending several years with Angel Corella's Barcelona Ballet. I believe that he did some of his training at the RBS.

Bruce and I were posting at the same time!

Edited by aileen
  • Like 1

Interesting to see all the comments about Vasiliev (who I haven't seen): opinions on his dancing appear varied, but it seems that everyone thinks his characterisation is very good. I'm starting to wish I'd seen it now.

Incidentally, I've just been reading this week's Links, and I see that now, according to Jeffery Taylor in the Express, it's Vasiliev who's the "Brad Pitt of ballet", rather than Matthew Golding!

Now there's an idea ... the construct of a balletic ON THE WATERFRONT for Vasiliev .... Right up his proverbial alley I should imagine :)   Perhaps he could have samples of (appropriately associated) verse such as he is known to write published in the programme too! :)

What a lovely production and it was a great evening. The audience in upper circle was very badly behaved - not switching off phones and talking through the performance! The dancing was wonderful, the pas de trois, and Neopolitan were particularly good. I have never seen Alina dance before, although I have seen Ivan but not in such a classical role. The White acts were sublime and the black act terrific.the tragic ending was so fitting. Very pleased that I managed to get a ticket.

• Like 1

My wife was at last night's performance and was very impressed by the Corps throughout.  However, like others earlier, she was significantly less impressed by Ivan Vasiliev's Prince, and she was most decidedly unimpressed by the tempi adopted for parts of Act II that, she felt, did Ms Cojocaru no favours at all.  

Yesterday afternoon's performnce was a de facto schools matinee. Any slight increase in noise was, for me, offset by the excitement of the children. When a performance starts with enthusiastic applause for the orchestra followed by more enthusiastic applause for the first group dance it creates a good mood in the theatre. Laurretta Summerscales danced very well and I thought that she had quite good chemistry with Alejandro Vireilles. I do think that taller dances have an advantage in the role of O/O and Laurretta is fairly tall. I don't know whether any dancer is equally good in both roles. Laurretta is probably a more natural Odile than Odette. Her movement could do with being a bit more 'rippling' as Odette. Tom Seligman was the conductor. He really went for it in the final denouement before the apotheosis, which made the climax of the ballet very exciting. As is often the case, I was left wondering why some very nice dancers don't get more shots at lead roles. Senri Kou has a lovely quality of movement and invariably dances well in soloist roles. Yesterday she impressed in the Pas de Trois. The same thing can be said about Crystal Costa. She has tremendous elevation for such a tiny dancer and those tricky jumps in he Pas de Trois were performed as if her feet had rubber balls on the end of them. Kei Akakoshi shone in her cameo role as the lead villager and another person at the performance specifically singled her out and asked who she was (she also excelled as Lead Flower in Nutcracker a couple of weeks ago). Although some of the group dances included some of the new joiners I noticed that there were plenty of experienced and even senior (up to and including soloist and first soloist level) dancers dancing alongside them which, I'm sure, keeps the standard of the group dances high.