soft ballet shoe with high back advice please?

anneeliz

Hi,

Does anyone have experience of needing a soft ballet shoe which comes higher up the back of the heel than average? My DD needs them so she can fit heel lifts inside without them slipping of her heel. She has Sanshas at the moment which are ok except that the width of them is still not narrow enough, even though she's got the N width ones! Blochs are narrow enough for her but we haven't yet found any that come high enough up the back of the heel. Can anyone help please?

In my experience it is very difficult to fit heel lifts or orthotics into ballet shoes. When my dd was prescribed orthotics, I remember the Consultant Podiatrist saying that it was better to try to retrain and strengthen the feet not to roll in whilst dancing, therefore there would be no need to wear orthotics in ballet shoes, only in street shoes.

If your dd has to wear heel lifts even while dancing, I wonder if she'd be allowed to wear teaching shoes instead? If you haven't seen these, they are soft ballet shoes but with a very low heel. I am guessing she wouldn't need to try to fit heel lifts inside those and therefore they would fit better and not slip off?

Might be worth a look, anyway. :-)

I had trouble getting orthotics to stay in place until i discovered the Ballet Shoe orthotics on the Dr Foot website. They support my heels and stay put fine in both my Sansha Pro split sole soft and also Sansha Pointe shoes.

I have used them for a couple of months now and find them to be comfortable in wear and effective in aligning my naturally pronated feet . Here is the URL   http://www.drfoot.co.uk/ballet_dance_insoles_orthotics.htm

DD is just making do with Sanshas at the mo. They come high enough up the back (just; if I sew the elastics in exactly the right place so they don't slip off!) but are a bit baggy on the toe area and don't show off her point to best advantage.