Paris Opera Ballet School Summer School

irishballetmom

My daughter wants to send in a video audition for the summer school. Her ballet teacher sent her home with a POB school documentary last year and now it is a big dream of hers to visit there. They ask for a medical and insurance certificate. For those that live in countries where those dont exist what have you used? We only have a few weeks to organise so not sure it is feasible. I guess I should email the school to get clarification.

For those of you who have done videos do you have links to share how you set them up? She is just 12 since November and just got pointe shoes so not sure how that section will be.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

My DD applied last year. As for medical certificate it is just a declaration of your DDs doctor that she has no phisical problem to practice. As for insurance, I asked them and was told that I had to send a few words on a simple paper where I agreed to subscribe an insurance ONLY in case of my DDs acceptance to the school. Hope it helps! Good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you Zaccharoviti! I know it is a very small chance but it will be zero chance if we don't apply. So I just need a note from doctor and then separate note saying we will pay insurance if she is accepted? How did you do your video, it looks like I need to send DVD rather than a YouTube link?

I see you are going to be at same RBS audition, maybe I will see you there :)

Re medical certificate and insurance it's right. When we applied (january 2013) we made a lot of mistakes, due to our poor experience in the whole process. We knew of the summer school just ten days before the application closing date, so we managed to make an orrible "homemade" dvd video in one afternoon, with no preparation of exercises, music ecc. It was really awful! Today I would never send a dvd like tthat, so no surprise when we received the "no" letter! At that time we had to send the dvd by post (no you tube), I don't know if things have changed now. What I can suggest is to choose carefully the exercises that show better your DDs quality, prepare the video with no rush, even in different sessions, make sure the result is the best you could do and then send it!

Then yes, we'll be in the same rbs audition day, we could meet up. It shouldn't difficult for all of you to find us: I think my DD and me will be the only Italian speaking there! Though we are both blond, blue-eyed, tall and very slim, so not the typical Italian body shape!!

I am American, but my husband and children are Irish! I am small and round lol you sound very elegant compared to me. My daughter is slim, petite and red headed! Ho studiato Italiano (French and German too!) all' università, posso praticare un po!

Our DVD will be last minute as well, but will try anyway to organise it with the teacher.

• Like 1

We did an audition video on Saturday and hope we included everything we need. My daughter is very new on pointe and just turned 12 in November so we had to include it for the video! Do you think this looks ok? She is only getting more than 2 hours a week this year, as we live out in the countryside and have access to just one very good teacher... It is her dream to try for vocational school at 16 and professional dancing, we will find out soon enough if it is a realistic one!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IKTmGRGkvU

Edited by irishballetmom
  • Like 2

Hi irishballetmum I will PM you but at just 12 I do think your daughter has potential and she must have a very good teacher for just a couple of hours a week.

Have a go for POB but they are very body type orientated and seem to like ultra flexible pupils etc

Maybe they are more relaxed for summer schools but I think are tough to get into!!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments. We know she is behind others her age who have access to more hours of classes. She is very flexible, Lin, but her problem is she doesn't have the strength built up to really show it lol. She has her splits and 180 turnout when tested for it ( though not always while dancing, she has to remember to keep it engaged ) her extensions aren't high yet but when lifted by teacher or held with her own arm can go up to her ear lol... Teacher has started her doing floor barre at home to strengthen but only time will tell if she has focus and drive to try for her dream...

It is a competitive and scary world and odds are stacked against her, but we will help where it is feasible and within our means as long as she is passionate about it! I do admit though that I am an unlikely ballet mom, would be content to see her change her path if she decides to later! I do love to watch her dance as she loves it so much though... I knew nothing of the bigger ballet world outside our village before this time last year when her teacher suggested trying for RBS summer school, the more I research and learn about the ballet world, the more daunted I am. On YouTube there are kids so much younger than her so much more advanced...kids dancing 4,5,6 days a week to train lol we just don't have access to that... It is hard sometimes not too be too realistic when talking to her about trying for her dreams, but don't want to discourage her, just not get her hopes too high to come crashing down. How do you other lovely and very knowledgable ladies deal with all of this? It is definitely a roller coaster ride, started at ge 9 when she told me her dream lol! And getting scarier when her teacher didn't say it was completely unrealistic... Maybe I should post this as another thread and get some good advice for moving forward!

• Like 2

My dd was offered a place on the POB summer programme a couple of years ago. It was the first time they were doing it. I did not send a Dvd just photos. They were happy with those alone. Sadly my dd did not take up her place that year so again places do become available.

My mum was like you irishballetmum!! She didn't discourage me at all but I knew deep down she wanted me to go into more academic education.......which I eventually did......but didn't give up ballet till I was 15.

One of the reasons I gave up was as there were more and more requirements from the ballet world and more and more requirements from the school world for me something had to give.

Perhaps if I'd been a really bright pupil I might have been able to carry on for longer but did take ages to do all my homework and was trying to start taking on decisions about the future such as going to university etc.

Everybody is different but by 15 I felt for myself that I probably didn't have the level of talent required to do what I wanted to do......be a dancer in a classical ballet company.......I wasn't interested in musical theatre etc.

If your daughter carries on who knows what may happen!!

She started at nine so I think that's an early enough start to possibly achieve success in the Dance World.

Good luck with the audition anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Irishballetmom, do you mind me asking where in the West of Ireland you are based? If you are anywhere within driving distance of Galway, there is a fantastic new teacher based here who takes a pre-professional approach to teaching, and uses mainly Vaganova method. She also does privates and started a youth company - Ballet Áthas -  in late 2013. We used to drive to Dublin every week for DD14, but are really happy with the level of teaching here - dd was recently awarded a full scholarship to Houston International Ballet Summer School by Richard d'Alton (aka Richard Babil Gandara), so she's doing something right.

We are in Killaloe, in East Clare, so Galway is about two hours away, not feasible for weekday classes. Her teacher wants her to audition for the Irish National Youth Ballet this year, but I'd be interested to hear more about this teacher and company. Houston Ballet on scholarship is very impressive your daughter mist be very talented!

There are Saturday classes irishballetmom, and company is on Sundays (from 11-2 at the moment, as some of the dancers have rehearsals for their regular school show from 3-5.30, but they were doing 11-5.30)  There are beginners and intermediate/advanced pointe classes on Saturdays, as well as Year 4-6 Russian syllabus classes. The website is alovelyclass.com, you'll find everything you need to know there, including the teacher's phone number. One girl comes from Castlebar every week, and another from Clifden, so similar travel times. It's in Terryland, so if the traffic's not too bad, it should only take about 1.5hrs via Scarriff and Gort.

It's not the Houston Ballet, it's a smaller school, International Ballet of Houston, but we're thrilled nonetheless  :D They focus on getting dancers into the top schools. At the moment, DD14 is interested in London Russian Ballet, Princess Grace, Central and Barcelona Dance Center (which has ties to IBH).

I can't see your video, but rest assured, if your dd has potential, this teacher will give her the encouragement, support, and more importantly, the training required. She has lots of experience in South Africa and New Zealand, Hannah O'Neill who is with POB was a student of hers in NZ before winning her scholarship to train in Australia.

Love your signature, it pretty much sums it up  :)

Meant to add - there is also a great summer intensive. Last year it was 6 days a week, 6 hours of  pure classical technique and repertoire. She would learn a huge amount. Regina Rogers School of Ballet (check out FB page) will also have a Bolshoi trained Vaganova coach give a week-long course in August.

• 2 weeks later...

Got that email too, so frustrating! Being realistic, my DD just doesn't have the level of skill they probably want at 12, so I am fully expecting a no, but my DD would love it so much that I keep a little bit of hope for her! Was looking forward to moving on tomorrow to figure out other summer schools! Though we still have the waiting list for White Lodge, we are keeping that week open but planning a non auditioned summer course, possibly Ballet West!

Thanks Pastel. We have to remind ourselves, Priority Wait List for Royal Ballet SS isn't half bad for a kid that had two hours a week dancing up till this year!

For those still waiting, I am looking at it like this: they sent the NO letters first, so fingers crossed everyone waiting gets a wonderful YES!!!!!!

• Like 1