hi all, i m new at this, i wonder if any of you good knowledgeable people can help me out ..

i have a 9yrs DD who's loves ballet  - i was wondering of any one knows of any GYMNASTIC coach for one to one lessons. to help with flexibility and strength ,  around the london and south east areas 

Edited by slavetoballet
  • Like 1

Hi

I don't live in your area but have a comment. There are some big differences between ballet and gym in posture, types of strengthening used etc. So while she is young now and can do both if ballet is her main thing you need to make sure she doesn't get mixed messages.

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum, slavetoballet. :-)

I agree with sarahw, and I notice that you have tagged your post with "turnout". In my humble opinion, gymnastics lessons will not be able to help with turnout at all, given that gymnasts always work in parallel - i.e. turned in.

As your dd is only 9, she should be able to enjoy both gymnastics and ballet classes - there may come a time where she will have to choose which one to continue with, given the different ways of working and different muscle groups involved. For now, she will be fine as long as you are clear what help it is that you want from a gym coach - strength and flexibility, certainly. Turnout, definitely not.

• Like 2

Before all gymnastics gets tarred with the same brush, Russian-method ballet schools have lessons called gymnastics, which, however, bear no relation to what we might think of as gymnastics! They're specially designed to work on students' turnout, flexibility, strength, and other requirements for ballet. All the big Russian-method schools have them. 

• Like 5

I'd ask your DD's ballet teacher in the first instance for a private lesson and for safe stretching exercises she can practise at home.

To answer your question about gymnastics coaches though, you can look at the British Gymnastics website under Women's Artistic or Rhythmic, enter your postcode and find a list of qualified coaches in your area http://www.british-gymnastics.org/discover

My daughter trains at the Bolshoi where gymnastics is an integral part of the training. Their method for gymnastics training is very thorough and has benefited my daughter's flexibility and core strength no end.  I have previously posted a link to her blog which shows her interpretation of her Bolshoi gymnastics classes into an hour long pre-ballet warm up that she also does at the end of each day as well.  Here's the link again http://talaleeturton.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/my-pre-class-warm-up/

• Like 3

What I would recommend given her age is that any form of stretching is overseen by a qualified teacher or maybe a dance physio. With young growing bodies and different needs this is v important as a one size fits all approach is unlikely to be useful unless students have been assessed and monitored. Better to have own personal goals tailored to needs.

• Like 2

[quote name="slavetoballet" post="114040" timestamp="1420996667

JOJO, when you say the bolshoi - im assuming in russia?

Yes, the Bolshoi Ballet Academy in Moscow - as Rowan pointed out earlier in the thread, gymnastics is common to all Russian training. It is built into the training from an early age. My daughter has been training there for three years and it has made a big difference. She does recommend in her post that the type of stretching she is demonstrating is done with a teacher in the first instance.