? footless tights/thicker convertibles

sarahw

Hi

Dd is currently using pink capezio convertibles and getting through them....

I know we've discussed different brands before. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a thicker convertible or maybe footless tights? Not as thick as leggings but more opaque than the standard tights?

Thanks

I bought danskin for my dd recently in search for more robust tights but they didnt last any longer than capezio or bloch and in fact not really long enough for my dd. We used to buy debut which are very thick and I think a cheaper range, but dd doesnt like them now for some reason so not tried them for a long time but may be worth looking at.

Not sure if the Gaynor Minden sweater tights are too thick (maybe?) but I love them for warming up, they're very soft (but also not pink.)

Not sure where you are located but I use move dancewear (a UK brand) you can get tights in bumper packs of five and they're OK. I find they go less grey than other brands.

I keep going back to Bloch myself because they have that extra leg length and last better than other makes I have bought.

Though personally I hate the convertibles..... though I can see their value in a busy schedule having to switch from ballet to contemporary!!

However they look a bit naff to me when worn as footless so I prefer to have full feet tights or footless with socks.....the latter I wear the most.

• Like 1

Old Danskins were brilliant, all types of tights lasted forever. Capezio definitely not as good as they used to be, Bloch seem to be better & thicker (& softer & better waistband). Dance Direct Plume tights seem to be about the same quality as Capezio & much cheaper, so worth bearing in mind.

• Like 1

Old Danskins were brilliant, all types of tights lasted forever. Capezio definitely not as good as they used to be, Bloch seem to be better & thicker (& softer & better waistband). Dance Direct Plume tights seem to be about the same quality as Capezio & much cheaper, so worth bearing in mind.

Danskin 'stretch and hold' tights were such a revelation after the rather baggy, seamed tights we had been used to. We nicknamed them 'stretch and clamp' x

• Like 1

Danskin seemed to disappear for a few years and since they came back to the UK market dd not convinced by them anymore. She had old Danskin tights that lasted 3 or 4 years of school laundry eventually going in bin because of lack of colour.

Lin isn't the idea with convertible rights that the dancer can get to her toes easily to tape etc when swapping to pointe shoes? My dd puts black leggings on top of tights for contemporary classes.

Yeah "hold you in tights!" Always have tan ones for non ballet shows, Danskin (old ones) were the best & Capezio next best but then they changed & made their matt tights all shiny & thin :( Bloch are more like original Danskins. Convertible tights were always good for classes where pointe was after normal class...really quick to put tape & gel bits on toes, & just rolled up the feet for jazz etc.

My Dd loves Silky's as she has darker skin so needs something that is "pinker" so she don't look grey, they are thinker and have the soft waist band, she wears the ladies large convertibles as even though she is a size 6 clothing she has long legs and this stops the gusset showing when she lifts her legs and less stretch and the foot hole is small and strong. I've also looked at the justballet pack of 5 as on the internet they look just like the silky, has anyone bought these as they work out more economical?

x

• Like 1

Hi all

I've taken the advice to go one size up. Dd is in the middle of the range for large child which I usually get. I've gone for small adult and I'm amazed how they really aren't too big! She does have long legs which I'd never thought about before as very skinny......

I will try some other brands as well now. Thanks all for the tips.

We always go for much larger tights than required regarding body size because DD's legs are very long. If she wore small ladies' tights, which fit her perfectly body-wise, the gusset would be at her knees! I would advise buying a larger size than needed so that there is less strain on the tights especially in terms of high extensions - they won't look baggy because of the elasticity and 'clinginess'.