National youth ballet

Lilac

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum or the website and I have not found it! Thinking about summer schools and as unusually we are not away in August this year, wondered about NYB. I can find information about the audition dates but not the summer. My understanding is the summer involves about 10 days residential at Tring, wondering about the fees and dates as DD will be awaiting GCSE results. Any pointers to this information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

No problem. The NYB 'family' is very friendly and is always on the lookout for new talent. It's a performance-based summer school. After the 10 days in Tring, there are 5 shows usually in the south of England, then a Gala in London a week later. So all those costs have to be factored in. I'm a huge fan.

Thought it would be a change for Dd as we are going on holiday early in the Summer so plenty of time for all this. Also hasn't been in a performance for some time. No idea how competitive it is to get in but going to give it a go. Sounds like some good names have involvement.

It is a lovely experience - my dd did it for 5 year 9 years - 13ish. The Junior Associates are welcome to Board at Tring during the Summer School and it is lovely for them to see what the

older dancers are doing but there is a lot of hanging/waiting around either to go on stage or just to rehearse the choreo. In my opinion it is an amazing experience but expensive and the

stage time they get is very very small unless you are one of the favourites who get cast in main roles every year. My DD did OPES summer school last year which she loved and it was defo

better value for money. She is off to Dar Dance in Morocco Summer School this year - there are a lot of other options to look into x

Will see how it goes and whether DD is good enough to be selected. Will certainly let you know when we have an audition time, initial audition is just meant to take an hour so depending on time we may be able to go on to Tring. How old is your DD Southerndancemum? Mine is 16, year 11. Xx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DD was quite happy with the audition, but don't think we will hear anything until after the other first auditions. People seemed surprised that there were only 8 candidates in class 3, which she felt was about advanced 1/2 level. Ages seemed to be about 16+.

Must be a mixed experience then? The mum I chatted to during the prelim audition had a daughter at Tring who had done NYB for 10 years. She was in the same class 3 audition of 8 with my daughter auditioning for the first time. They told me some frinends, I thought in the same position, we're going to one of the other prelim auditions. Will have to wait and see!

Good news today that DD is through to casting on 15th March in class A. Not sure what her chances are then against regulars and vocational school pupils, but encouraging to see. Has anyone else heard anything about results?

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Was anyone else at final audition today? DD tells me their performing Cinderella. Find it all a bit confusing as asked to take character, tap and pointe shoes but none use apparently! Not sure when to expect to hear. Hope it's not too long as I'll want to book another summer school if she's unsuccessful.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. Is that for the Workshop in April or all results by post? We are still waiting to hear. DD has danced for several years with NYB but this year we're going to decide what to do based on parts (if she gets a yes)