New York City Ballet - Balanchine's Nutcracker

Wanted to share this YouTube link from one of the wonderful recent insight programmes at City Center (where so many of Balanchine's key works were built).  This one focuses on (i) input from Violette Verdy [a past LFB - now ENB - veteran]; (ii) features T. Peck and J. De Luz as noted above and (iii) is introduced by (as referenced earlier/featured in the NYCB Nutcracker film) Damien Woetzel.  Enjoy. 

Is it possible for mere mortals visiting NY to attend such events?  I would love to do something like this!

• Like 1

(In answer to the item immediately above.  Sorry I didn't push the quote button in advance.) 

Yes it is, DonQFan, but you have to get in as soon as they are announced - there are so few places ... and each programme only costs $20 (circa £12.50).   They can sell out within an hour of the announcement .... but you get to be SO close ... (two rows on one side and three in the centre) much as if you were sitting in one of Balanchine's own rehearsals as I was - for two ballets - oh, so privileged to do - but that was in the days before they had these kind of organised programmes.  There are approximately three of these a year at City Center in Balanchine's Studio 5 ... and this year Damien Woetzel is handing the reigns over to Wendy Whelan in terms of heading them up.  It should continue to be exciting I'm sure.  (These, of course, are not to be confused with the Guggenheim Programmes ... which are a separate entity altogether.)  Glad you enjoyed the film.  I thought it myself very special .... It brought back so many memories.  I just wish it didn't cut off at the end .... I would have loved to have seen the complete resolution.  :)  but you can't have everything ... and this was certainly a wonderful 'something' ... or so I thought. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

At least one of the ENB productions I have seen included a Mother Gingerbread/Hubbard/something of that ilk but I can't remember which production and it didn't inspire me.  In fact it was completely erased from my memory banks till the recent discussion!

The Hampson/Scarfe production did, but it was children disguised as presents - I suspect a bit constrained by the designs, as the rest of the production seemed to be. 

(In answer to the item immediately above.  Sorry I didn't push the quote button in advance.) 

Yes it is, DonQFan, but you have to get in as soon as they are announced - there are so few places ... and each programme only costs $20 (circa £12.50).   They can sell out within an hour of the announcement .... but you get to be SO close ... (two rows on one side and three in the centre) much as if you were sitting in one of Balanchine's own rehearsals as I was - for two ballets - oh, so privileged to do - but that was in the days before they had these kind of organised programmes.  There are approximately three of these a year at City Center in Balanchine's Studio 5 ... and this year Damien Woetzel is handing the reigns over to Wendy Whelan in terms of heading them up.  It should continue to be exciting I'm sure.  (These, of course, are not to be confused with the Guggenheim Programmes ... which are a separate entity altogether.)  Glad you enjoyed the film.  I thought it myself very special .... It brought back so many memories.  I just wish it didn't cut off at the end .... I would have loved to have seen the complete resolution.  :)  but you can't have everything ... and this was certainly a wonderful 'something' ... or so I thought. 

Thank you for the info Bruce - I assume one just keeps an eye on the nycballet.org website for info?  How lucky you were to be at some of Mr B's rehearsals - WOW!