Hidden costs of dance training

Tulip

Jane, I can empathise. DD is going through 1 pair a week on average at the moment and I've just paid for 10 pairs up front! She still hasn't found her perfect shoe (will she ever?) so I don't think my pointe shoe bill will decrease : (

Edited by Lucinda

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with Tulip - give her a stash of money(for pointe shoe purchase) rather than a stash of pointe shoes. DD going through 3 pairs a month at the moment … I just empty my bank account into hers ...

At the start of the year ,the 1st year tutor took all the girls to Bloch for fitting and DD then told me that the original "stash" that I had bought were not the best fit any more :/

• Like 3

In the first two terms of upper school I have purchased 19 pairs of point shoes. Dd gets through 1-2 pairs a week, more when there is something extra going on at school. I expect I will need to buy around another dozen or so pairs this coming term, given that there will be lots of work for the end of year show. She always has a hard shank and they still don't last long.

Just reading these posts about how many pair of point shoes your daughters are going through , and at around £50 a pair I feel ill at the thought of needing to buy that many !

Do you get discount from any wear or discount for bulk buy ?

• Like 1

Just reading these posts about how many pair of point shoes your daughters are going through , and at around £50 a pair I feel ill at the thought of needing to buy that many !

Do you get discount from any wear or discount for bulk buy ?

Jade most of the stores give a student discount - I think 10 - 15 % is the average - every little helps xx  On a saving side, apart from uniform I haven't had to buy any additional dance wear except the odd leotard for birthday/xmas.

Thanks for warnings on pointe shoe wear. What about ordinary flat ballet shoes, I guess most use fabric split sole type things? Do they need to bother with soft blocks at post 16 schools?

How many flat shoes , roughly, do your think dd's get though in a term, and any suggestons for most hard wearing?

Thanks Kat09 , do many of them deshank their dead pointe shoes or do they buy soft block? Soft blocks very expensive for what they are but my dd's deshanked pointeshoes look a bit clown-like...which is fine if everyone in the same boat!

I would agree with Tulip - give her a stash of money(for pointe shoe purchase) rather than a stash of pointe shoes. DD going through 3 pairs a month at the moment … I just empty my bank account into hers ...

Not sure we would be able to do that though, as she has special order shoes (her feet are a bit 'non-standard'), and they can sometimes take a couple of months to come in.

She's been known to destroy an ordinary of Blochs in one class.

• Like 1