Oh no...why now?!

Pups_mum

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well her verdict today is "could have been worse, could have been better but there is nothing I can do about it now anyway".

It really did prove to be The Exam of Doom though. Aside from the injury and the flu bug in the run up, the journey down was a nightmare with the train being cancelled, she woke up at 3am in the hotel with a migraine. Fortunately that had passed by mid morning but then we discovered that we each thought the other had packed the leotard, tights etc. A dash into Covent Garden resolved that and we had a pleasant stroll round the shops, setting off for the RAD with a good hour in hand, confident that we now had everything under control. But we didn't calculate for the bus journey that normally takes 20 mins or so taking 1 hour 10 mins - in fact at one point the driver was talking about aborting the journey and going elsewhere. DD and I were both virtually hyperventilating at this point! But we made it in the end, though with no time for DD to warm up really. I'm jolly proud of her for getting through it at all. I know she's disappointed, as she got a distinction for Advanced Foundation and she knows she won't achieve that this time. But I'll just be pleased if she passes.

To finally put the tin hat on things there was a signal failure on the way home and we didn't get back til nearly midnight in the end. But hey it's over now!

• Like 2

Oh dear, everything really did conspire against the poor girl.

We know how you feel. We are currently dreading dds annual assessment results as events on the two days meant she did not perform to her best. (Pointe shoe breaking right beforehand, leadingvto a bit if a meltdown before her ballet assessment & motorway closure meaning she was late for if her modern assessment & missed the pre assessment class. Plus girls issues.

Fingers crossed for her.

That's what I thought sarahw .....there are just some days like that where Life is stranger/madder than Fiction!!

Pups mum your daughter has done extremely well to have held it all together in the end .....I'm sure I wouldn't have done at her age.

Travelling by bus is a bit of a nightmare in London at the moment as there seem to be roadworks in various places which throw all the traffic along one route. As I have a senior bus pass I usually try to go by bus but more recently have been using my Oyster card more on the tube to,make sure get to places on time!!

Willing a good result for your DD! When do you get to hear?

Oh my goodness what an epic. And sorry to hear of your dd's troubles as well Pictures.

Did you actually have the pointe shoes Pups_mum? You didn't have to buy new ones in Covent Garden as well did you? So sorry to hear of all those problems. Just as well you did go down the day before.

Fingers crossed for the results.

Yes it is a relief that the exam is over. Really felt for Pups_mum and DD when they hadn't arrived when the girls were called from the changing room. Put our worries about lack of teaching sessions into perspective. DD came out reasonably positive, which after weeks of her getting mad at everyone who told her she wouldn't fail was wonderful. Seemed to be quite a few stressed students around which was sad.No need to do more ballet exams for a couple of years. Phew!

Pictures - hope you have a good outcome.

• Like 2

Oh my goodness what an epic. And sorry to hear of your dd's troubles as well Pictures.

Did you actually have the pointe shoes Pups_mum? You didn't have to buy new ones in Covent Garden as well did you? So sorry to hear of all those problems. Just as well you did go down the day before.

Fingers crossed for the results.

No, we'd got all her shoes thankfully Cathy! Now that would have been a deal breaker I think.

I've been reading the rules on the RAD website and I do think she may be eligible for some Special Consideration marks. I was going to ask her teacher to send the form off as it says it can be submitted up to 5 working days after the exam, but DD doesn't want me to. She says she would rather be judged on what she actually did, as a higher mark than she actually gained would feel undeserved. She pointed out that "audiences expect real dancers to perform even if they have had a bad couple of weeks." I can see what she means, but I will be gutted if she ends up one or two marks off a grade boundary. But she is old enough to make her own mind up so I shall respect her decision.

• Like 3

Your dd is a real trooper, Pups_Mum. My ex dd has auditioned for drama schools with migraine and a really bad sore throat. I asked if she had said anything about it before her audition and she said no, telling me that if she went for a drama audition, all she would be judged on was what she did, not the excuses she made. She had been told this by a couple of professional actors at a drama workshop she went to. I really hope your dd does much better than she fears she might have done. x

I took my RAD Advanced (now Ad 2) when I was a student in the senior school of the RBS.  There were 3 of us there for the exam.  One of the candidates heard who the examiner was that day (Noreen Bush) and went home.  She said she'll fail me anyway, so why bother - or words to that effect.  The other girl with me was on her 6th or 7th try and gamely carried on, so we were two.  It was a terrifying exam to say the least.  Anyway, the other girl failed yet again and I got a Pass.  When I was asked in school what mark I got, they were all astounded that I'd only got a Pass, but I was just so relieved to have passed that it didn't bother me in the least.............. 

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that when I auditioned for companies, no-one ever asked me what mark I got, they just wanted to know up to what level I'd reached, so at the end of the day the mark is not that important - unless you want to do the Adeline Genee I suppose.

• Like 4

Goodness, what a saga. Public transport sounds as though it's on its last legs, from that tale of woe. Heads should be rolling somewhere in the higher echelons of government and the companies responsible for this sort of debacle basically being business as usual, except of course they won't be.

This may not have been an ideal exam experience (bit of an understatement, I know!), but it's going to be very valuable life experience. As long as she survived all that without a major meltdown and then went out there and did the exam, she's got a lot to be proud of even if the results aren't the greatest.

I hope you finally managed to see the Christmas lights.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 2

Oh my heavens, Pups_Mum - I feel for you and your poor dd as we had similar transport problems a couple of weeks ago for dd's Adv 1.

Dd had felt really poorly on the bus and I'd just managed to get her feeling a little better when the bus was diverted due to an accident, and went sailing off towards Roehampton. I didn't have a clue where we'd end up and all the driver could suggest was dropping us off and for us to get the next bus back the other way - and you know how infrequent the 170 bus is! Poor dd was in tears and we eventually arrived at HQ 5 mins before the start of the exam. Dd was as white as a sheet and visibly shaking but had to go up alone to find the studio. She's had such bad luck with exams that I longed for everything to go smoothly with this one - I should have known better, shouldn't I!

Really sorry to hear that S and P.....honestly Ive had a problem with every journey for a variety of reasons both travelling up to London and getting to places within it in the last few weeks! The traffic has been so heavy that the 38 bus for example has been stopped at Piccadilly often for several busses running .....very frustrating ....but to happen to someone before an important exam a nerve wracking experience. It can take a while for the emotions to settle down in such situations but hopefully after a couple of exercises at the barre and on hearing the familiar music your DD was okay again.

Very best wishes to her anyway........did she feel the exam went at least reasonably well?

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

Just had an email from Sydney to say my friends DD has just passed her RAD Advanced one with distinction!!

Apparently her teacher phoned with the news a couple of days ago but she hasn't got her actual marks yet!

Ive been told it's harder to get a distinction at Advanced level because you have to get the required Distinction marks in all sections .......it's not just a total of the marks! Assuming this is a worldwide thing for RAD. So she has done well but wants to get the marks so she can analyse it all!!

I'd be so grateful for just a pass at this level ......so all credit to these youngsters who already want to see how they can improve!!

Mum says she's already started on the new syllabus for Advanced 2.

Hoping for good news for all others who have just taken this exam recently. Most people start to drop out of ballet by Advanced level so anyone who is still taking exams at this level is doing extremely well anyway.