What do you do for fun?

Fiz

Since we have had such fun moaning about what we don't like, let's talk about what we do like! Watching ballet or dancing are a given, you have to talk about different things! I love to read and have recently re-discovered my love of writing. I love my animals and history - to read or places to visit. I love France and Majorca ( the countryside and its past, not the beaches). I read true crime. Now it's your turn.

• Like 1

I love gardening - I find it really therapeutic and rewarding.

Also reading - at the moment I'm in to Edward St Aubyn,

and favourite place is the Scilly Isles! Not been there for a while as it's incredibly expensive to get there - (helicopters are involved) ;) unless you take the ferry which is the most seasick-inducing vessel known to man!

Reading, gardening, retail therapy - these are a few of my favourite things. When I've read all my favourite books, I just read 'em again (currently reading Austen's 'Emma' for what must be the fifth time, and still discovering new marvels). Shortage of funds permits only limited indulgence in the latter two passions.

• Like 2

Reading again here - I also like reading true crime but have just finished the hunger games trilogy.

I love zumba, but haven't been for ages & must get back into it.

Actually, not enough, I spend most of my life living at & ferrying my kids to their various activities,work & housework - must try harder!!!!

• Like 2

Reading, especially detective stories. I do like gardening, but I am not very good at it, and everything I plant in my windowboxes promptly dies. I am very keen on long distance walking, and it is my ambition when I eventually get enough time to walk every long distance footpath in the UK (!) And travelling....anywhere.

• Like 2

Singing as Tenor in the Cambridge Philharmonic Society, usually these days in 4/5 concerts a year at venues including King's College and Ely Cathedral. That brings the occasional overseas trip, like last year to the Concertgebouw to join a Dutch choir, with Prague and Brussels prior to that. And besides doing Links here, I've become quite involved in some historical work for the website of a former squadron Association. And there's a garden, currently very wet ....... and, just occasionally, chocolate!

• Like 3

Researching and collecting,[when i can afford it] different brands of pointe shoes from all over the world. I always collect new, unused ones, preferably that have never been danced in . Why? So in a few years time, or when i pop my clogs,my son can sell them on and hopefully, get a decent amount of money back for each pair! Am awaiting a pair of Teplov`s in the post from South Africa and am scouring the internet trying to find out about how i can get a pair of Rusbal`s. I contacted, thanks to this forum, someone from London Russian Ballet School,but they couldn`t help. I even contacted the Russian Embassy in London asking if they could help me. I am awaiting a reply. It started out about 4 or 5 years ago,when i found an old pair of Freed`s in a bag of mine from 1984. I`d forgotten how lovely pointe shoes were, and how nice they smell. I bought a pair from an online shop,just to collect, not to wear or dance in. I have a Youtube page if anyone wants to see it [it`s REALLY] bad, and very amateurly filmed on my bed. It has almost fifty thousand views though, so i`m quite chuffed.! It`s called My Collection of Pointe Shoes,and my Youtube page is ilovefacebookandebay. When i made it, i had 28 pairs of pointe shoes. I`ve now got 79 pairs.! Some are decorated, others purpose-bought coloured. I must get around to making a new Youtube film of all my new pairs one of these days,and add some background music, etc, to try and make it seem a little more professional. Last week my Grishko Elites arrived from Back Bay Dancewear,which is an online store in the States,and export pointe shoes to the UK. Just read this whole thing back.You must all think i`m loaded or something. Well i`m not.! The rent to my house is reasonable, i only have one child, i don`t drink, smoke or drive a car. So i suppose i`m lucky that i can afford my rather expensive hobby. Well, within reason,anyway. There are some months when i cannot afford to buy a single pair, especially the imported ones. However, i have to confess to being a bit obsessed with the whole collecting of them thing. One thing which makes me feel not too guilty about the cost is knowing every pair is brand new and unused and will stay so, so might one day sell some of them and recuperate some of the funds.!

• Like 3

Wow! Lots of similarities and several dis-similarities! I have just bought some plants in the hope that I can make some hanging baskets, but I always over-water. I am about to do something I don't like, which is sewing, to mend the bedding our old now dead dog chewed up.

Doing what my body allows, which is not much! So a lot of Facebooking, Tweeting, Modding on here (!) ;) reading (anything and everything from chick lit, through Jane Austen, to my most bizarre love of London Underground History), talking to the dog, talking on the phone, doing our local dance school's website and facebook page, and watching "Inspector Morse" and "Lewis".

When the body is willing I love to go anywhere that isn't my bedroom. When I was able to work I loved travelling, particularly cruising with Royal Caribbean. Skint now though so it's North Wales or Derbyshire if we're lucky! :lol:

• Like 3

What do I like to do for fun? I like to laugh - that's a lot of fun! And in addition I like to......

I like to answer questions such as "when should my daughter go on pointe?"

or

"What's wrong with my pirouettes?"

but when not doing that.....I love to read - history and bio/autobio in the form of history. Did I say I love to read history?

I also enjoy writing (have written and published a range of articles and one book).

Breaking out my paints and painting (in oils) anything which captures my fancy - some of which are on display as a long term loan, others have been entered in juried shows - but that's not why I do it.

Going to the mall and sketching people - I have several pen and ink sketches of people at Starbucks.

I am very active in my Temple - and set up and maintain the library - which gives me more of an excuse to read.

I love going to lunch with friends.

After many years of interesting travel, we no longer feel the desire to travel.

I love my garden and the creatures which inhabit it.

There is a lake near my house which holds many memories for me and I love to go there though the gov't has decided it is now illegal to feed the huge population of waterfowl - migratory and permanant. So, when these feathered friends come up to me - we chat sans crumbs.

And while doing much of this I am usually listening to classical music.

And, now, for my daily walk - which is a poor replacement for the 6-8 hrs I spent daily dancing and teaching.

• Like 3

Sewing I get so much satisfaction from turning a bit of fabric into something someone else loves or a bit of cross stitch. Love looking for fabric and patterns and dragging ds and mother to Southall. Seeing my great nephew who is 1 tomorrow especially when he chooses DS rather than my sister . I used to read but 25 years of working in a library changed that I have 4 books waiting to be read . Dare I say angry birds I will get 3 stars in each level. Helping backstage at local dance school. Beavers though is that fun, yes when you send home 24 very excited and wet boys. Chocolate I can leave but wine a must have. I do sound a bit old but this year I am.

• Like 2

Fun? What's that?
:)
Don't suppose clearing out the house and Freecycling counts, does it? Didn't think so.

Okay, prompted by Trog I've just got the juggling balls out and learned a new lesson: after a port-de-bras-heavy ballet class, several hours' typing and leaning on the standing rail at the ROH for hours, juggling just makes your arms ache.

Still, I have plenty of part-completed things which I intend to finish as soon as this current phase of my life finishes, whenever that may be: patchwork, knitting, writing, learning the clarinet ... Oh, and if stuck on a train with nothing to do for 10 minutes or more, I'm happy to do any type of Japanese logic problem apart from Sudoku (except possibly the Killer ones).
  • Like 2

Walking, especially on the wonderful moorland near where I live.

Reading (thank heaven for my daily train commute)

Excercise classes - Yoga, Pilates, Body Jam, Zumba (I don't have time for all of these every week!)

Spending time with family and friends

I love this thread :)

• Like 2

Photography!

plus SF (books, telly, movies), watching the racing and the rugby. Seeing live bands (in the small venues, up close and personal). And through it all, music (which I don't think I could ever live without)

• Like 1

Well, when I'm not playing polo, clipping the topiary, mowing the croquet lawn or polishing my tiaras... ;) !

Dick Francis novels, QI, watching old dvd's of DD's dance school shows, and a few years ago I started researching my family tree. I've managed to go back quite a long way, and found Irish, German and Scottish roots hidden among all the Londoners.

• Like 1

Reading (thank heaven for my daily train commute)

I miss that. The amount I read has dropped tremendously now I no longer commute. After all, there's a limit to what you can do when you're walking!

I'm another reader - I read as much as I can (but not as much as I would like) because I hate the thought that I'll never get to read all of the books that I want to - there are just too many! I also write. I'm a children's author and my first series of fiction books has just been published! The books are about gymnastics, and that's another one of my interests.

I also couldn't live without music (mainly of the indie rock/folk variety, and classical music when I'm working). I enjoy films, though hardly ever have the time/money to go to the cinema these days. And I like doing cryptic crosswords, but I'm not very good at them!

• Like 3

OK, mine is learning languages. I just get a huge amount of satisfaction out of it and I find languages fascinating. I have been known to sit on a beach on holiday studying a book on Polish grammar...

• Like 3

Sounds perfectly sensible to me :). I'd happily learn some more, if I could find somewhere which taught them properly, which isn't easy these days!

I also write. I'm a children's author and my first series of fiction books has just been published! The books are about gymnastics, and that's another one of my interests.

Yes, I meant to send you a PM and say "well done" about that :)

I'm another reader - I read as much as I can (but not as much as I would like) because I hate the thought that I'll never get to read all of the books that I want to - there are just too many! I also write. I'm a children's author and my first series of fiction books has just been published! The books are about gymnastics, and that's another one of my interests.

I also couldn't live without music (mainly of the indie rock/folk variety, and classical music when I'm working). I enjoy films, though hardly ever have the time/money to go to the cinema these days. And I like doing cryptic crosswords, but I'm not very good at them!

Congralations on getting published. That is quite an achievement. And I forgot to add that cryptic crosswords are one of my favourites, as well. I am only a beginner in the latter - I do not know how Inspector Morse does the Times Crossword in under 10 minutes. Takes me that long to get one answer!

• Like 1