What does the Concert Master do?

The concert master is the head violinist or leader of the strings section and also acts as a substitute for the conductor. He supervises the tuning of the instruments and sometimes he is also the spokesperson of the orchestra.

• Like 1

I don't think it's that new, John - I certainly remember seeing the Concert Master or whatever they were calling him at the time credited on cast sheets years ago, and I don't think it was always in cases where he'd had a major solo or anything.

Thanks for the info folks.  Speaking for myself I'd rather see more credits for dancers.  Yesterday, for instance, Bennet Gartside was not mentioned in the cast list but turned in a scene-stealing performance as one of the Red Queen's reluctant partners in Act 3.

Linda

The Concertmaster is the conductors right hand man/woman. I think that they deserve to be credited, but not in lieu of the dancers of course. Could it be that dancers are more likely to be injured/replaced at the last moment and as such are not always included on the cast list ? Just a thought.