Exam practice

Lilac

My DD is another one doing this last sitting of the old advanced 1. I'm not certain she is absolutely ready, but there's nothing to lose by giving it a go as the alternative is starting again from scratch. With A levels on the horizon I suspect that would mean she would never get there, so I'm just encouraging her to give it her best shot. She got a distinction for advanced foundation last year and I believe some bits are very similar so hopefully that will help a little at least.

• Like 5

I foresee a huge entry for Advanced 1 old syllabus this month and then probably nothing for at least two years!!!!!!  Anyway, hope the exams go well for those taking it now.  Keep calm and look on it as a performance rather than a test.  The examiner does want you to pass and often helps out in the unseen work at IF and Inter level, although at this Advanced level their expectations from the students will be higher too...........

Edited by Dance*is*life

At least 2 years! I doubt it Dancer*is*life.  whilst I agree there will probably be a drop in numbers for a while, don't forget that the new syllabus for the advanced grades was introduced in September 2013 so some schools will have been teaching it for a while now.  At DD2s school they began in Jan 2014 after taking intermediate in the December so they are nearly a year in.  They do not do the advanced foundation at the school.  This particular group took old syllabus inter foundation then new intermediate and the teachers comment was that they found that switch trickier than the move from intermediate to adv 1.  They only do 2 x 45 mins + a pointe class each week but from what DDs friend in that class has said they are expecting to take the exam within the next year.

DD's teachers are also entering Advanced 1 candidates next year, having decided that as most are young for the grade anyway they would prefer to enter them for the new syllabus exam rather than have the take the old syllabus exam this year. The girls have certainly risen to the challenge of the new work and prefer it to the old syllabus.

I did old syllabus IF new syllabus inter. I took my advanced foundation old syllabus in the summer and am aiming to take advanced one new in the summer. I started learning the new syllabus in September and have found that doing the advanced foundation even though it was the old syllabus has bridged the gap tremendously! I love all the new work it is so lovely to dance and gives a real challenge. I haven't found it hard to pick up so far but that may just be me:/

Yes, I am sure there is a cohort of students who are champing at the bit ready to sit the new advanced grades next year. DD's teacher gave her the option of which syllabus to do and she decided to go for the old.one on the grounds that there was more similarities with the advanced foundation that she had just done well with, and that her teacher was used to the old syllabus. She was a bit anxious about being the first in her school to do the new work. The downside is that she would probably have preferred a bit longer before the exam. Whether that decision proves to be a success remains to be seen but she made a considered choice and has worked hard so I am just keeping my fingers crossed. It's all part of life's rich tapestry anyway!

• Like 2

Good luck to all doing old Adv 1!

I'm very sad not to be taking but, as I think it was my last chance of passing this level, but my class attendance has slipped to fortnightly or even monthly due to work commitments, so although I know the syllabus my technique has gone :(

Having decided a few months ago it was not feasible we started learning the Adv F instead - very pretty, lovely music and a happy compromise :)

• Like 5

DD is gearing up to sit the new Advanced 1 exam at the start of March having sat the new Advanced foundation syllabus at the same time last year. Have heard nothing but positives from her about the syllabus. Interestingly though the school have taken the decision not to teach the classical variation. Good luck to everyone sitting exams in the old syllabus before the end of the year! 

• Like 1

Doh ......yes of course!!

I sort of imagined there was some sort of new Advanced type of exam!! Amazing what the imagination can do when one hasn't quite got a grip on the info!!

Mind you had a double stressful day yesterday as had to be in London by 1pm to pick up a passport being delivered between 1 and 5 which we had paid extra to arrange. Normally no problem but yesterday someone jumped in front of a train at Balcombe(the second one there in as many months) which meant no trains for two hours ......initially announced. Then suddenly a London Bridge train was announced so hundreds of people who had been stranded since 10am all converged on the train.....luckily got a seat there. Then it got to Haywards Heath and just stayed there for an hour. I felt even more sorry for the two women opposite me who missed their Euro star train.

Anyway eventually got to Highbury Corner at 2pm hoping the delivery hadn't happened yet but lo and behold there was the card to say had already called(another day it would have been nearer 5 you can bet)

So after two phone calls the delivery firm said they would try to get hold of the bloke but didn't hold out much hope of him returning but then I got a call to say he would be back around 5 and he came at 4.30.......so alls well that ends well as they say!!

The thought of having to rearrange this again and pay the fee again was not particular welcome or even that practical!

After a good LAB rehearsal eventually got home at 11.15pm with no further dreaded disruptions.

Anyway that's my excuse for being so dumb about what Adv F meant!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is exam day for DD tomorrow! The teacher did finally do some extra sessions with her which was good. Just wished these could have started sooner as DD is just starting to feel an improvement. Not expecting great things with this, the Achilles problem and exams, but hopefully will be enough at least to pass. Will be a relief to have over with now!

• Like 5

I had forgotten that some schools could have been teaching the new Advanced work for some time now - I suppose I presumed that teachers would prefer to continue with the old syllabi as long as they could.  It is encouraging that there are students who have found the new syllabi quite accessible.  We had a course some time ago and I haven't yet taught it and quite honestly I was afraid that it would be too difficult compared to the old one.  Very glad to hear that your daughter is enjoying it, yetanotherdancemum! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally heard today that she passed with merit, although don't yet know mark. She is just relieved to have passed. I feel that just a year after Intermediate and with the lack of coaching she should feel proud of herself. Can take her time over Advanced 2. Thanks for all the good wishes.

• Like 9