The Royal Ballet: Don Quixote, 2014

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think that to say that the performance given on a particular day was not up to par or to say that the company does not look at its best in a particular ballet denigrates the company. The majority of people who have posted comments about Don Q think that the production is good and have no problem with the performances that they have seen. We are all entitled to  our opinions.I have found the ballet lacking in vigour; prim and proper when it should be bordering on the edge of vulgarity. Don Q is a ballet that needs to be danced and clothed in primary colours. The Bolshoi production works because they perform the ballet 

as showbiz entertainment not as high art. All other versions are pallid in comparison.  

The only reason for staging Don Q,it seems to me,is to provide a feast of full blooded dancing which is what the Bolshoi production does in spades and what the Royal's current Don Q  fails to do.The gypsy scene for example would benefit from pruning. It slows down the action and the choreography is dull.Then there are the designs. Danilova in her memoirs wrote of  the importance of design in establishing place and mood and preparing the audience for the performance of a ballet. I do not find that mauve,beige and the other subdued tones do much to evoke sun drenched Spain..It seems to me that Acosta's choice of designs,orchestration and choreographic text combine to create a burden that the dancers have to surmount every time they perform this work.

• Like 9

Fouettees a l'Italienne

Reposting

•  

Dancers who were allowed to learn  'difficult' steps as students pre adolescence usually have no difficulty with performing them as professional dancers - as is obvious looking at most professional Japanese dancers who were initially trained in Japan.

The approach of  the type 'don't allow two pirouettes until one is done perfectly' breeds careful dancers who usually are scared of these steps or enchainments and then have to spend inordinate amounts of time rehearsing and practicing them before performing them on stage, most often still being scared of managing to get through them.

Fouettees a l'Italienne are not difficult if learned early and done in class from early years, even on demi pointe if not yet always on pointe.

The 'grand battement' a la second is an aberration - this should be only the preparatory step for the meat of the enchainment - the fouettee to attitude.  Making the a la second so high (not to speak of a kick) unbalances the whole step's reason for being

Yes I think I understand that it's largely this Don Q production that you dislike FLOSS and absolutely agree that if you don't like something so be it!

I don't dislike this production myself.....though do agree some of the costumes are a bit dull looking.

I am assuming Carlos Acosta was trying to give it a more real Spanish feel with the gypsy scene and the shouting and commenting on the others dancing etc( certainly what happens in genuine Flamenco performances in Spain with a Spanish audience .....they are certainly not quiet as would be in UK!)

It is different ......and maybe goes on a little too long .....but I quite like this attempt at authenticity.

However I also agree that Don Q should be an excuse for some show stopping dancing .......privileged to see Osipova and Vasiliev in these roles......absolutely had me on the edge of my seat literally.....

I think this production does still have those moments but it's always in the end going to be best with certain dancers.

I'm sure the Bolshoi production is fantastic ......would certainly love to see it.....but in reality how many different Kitris and Mercedes and Basilios does the Company offer in one run.

I'm pretty eclectic myself in my ballet loving. I love the Royal but it's not the ONLY company I'm interested in either.

As far as Don Q is concerned I do think its fine to have a different version such as this occasionally.

the dull looking costumes may in part be due to the lighting. This has a distinct yellow (almost sepia at times) tint, hinting at 'sunshine' in late afternoon. As sunshine is the best source of white light, I'd have lit it more white myself, but then I'm biased...

• Like 1

The mauve costumes for Kitri's friends are a mistake (imo). They jar terribly with the other costumes and look very out of place in a colour palette of beige, orange and red. The costumes for Kitri, Mercedes and the Gypsy Queen are confusingly similar.

For Don Q to be really successful the leads have to both play to the audience *and* stay in character at the same time. Nunez is a natural Kitri (both technically and temperamentally) but, as with her Aurora, is a bit prone to leaving her character behind and directing her attention to the audience rather than the other dancers on the stage. If you watch Osipova and Vasiliev on YouTube they show off but remain committed to telling the story through their characters. It's a difficult balance to maintain in a long and technically demanding ballet. 

Don Q is a ballet that needs to be danced and clothed in primary colours. The Bolshoi production works because they perform the ballet 

as showbiz entertainment not as high art. All other versions are pallid in comparison.  

I particularly like the production performed by the Cuban National Ballet and would not define it as pallid compared to the Bolshoi version.

I actually like the costumes in this current RB version.

Well Basilio is supposed to,be a poor barber......whereas Kitri is the daughter of the local Innkeeper......obviously a cut above a barber in Old Spain!!

Whether this is why he is in brown and beige?

But he could be poor in black and white maybe.........stronger dramatic colours than the browny beige look!!

An outstanding performance from Vadim and Akane this evening. They received huge applause at the end. Still on the subject of the costumes and Basilio's costume in particular, I feel that it is important that the costumes clearly identify who the characters are and the brown colour makes Basilio blend into the crowd - which you don't want as he is one of the leads. The orchestra was lively this evening but the ballet does lose momentum on many occasions. I'm wondering whether a more responsive audience would make a difference: the action would be linked better and the dancers would feed off the enthusiasm of the theatre-goers. British audiences are generally fairly reserved and, although tonight's was very appreciative at the end, there was not much applause throughout - even the spectacular one-handed lifts received only limited applause.

• Like 1

I don't think that the audience can be blamed. The production simply is not the 'rabble rouser' it should be.

Even the wedding scene is dampened by dull costumes. At times Kitri and Basilio do not stand out against the beige palette behind them and Kitri's Friends aren't even given a change into their 'best frocks' for the occasion.

Despite this, Vadim Muntagirov (especially) and Akane Takada were terrific yesterday.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

The evening performance was very good. Vadim Muntagirov and Akane Takada were really good together, lovely. I feel this performance was far higher quality than the earlier matinee with Nunez/Soares that was lacklustre apart from Nunez. I feel maybe the dancers held back ahead of a second performance in the evening. Soares only just managed the one handed lifts whereas Muntagirov put Takada up like she was a feather. I have seen 4 performances now and I think it is the younger men who are better as Basilio I feel Campbell and Muntagirov have brought the necessary joie de vivre of youth to the role far better/more realistically than their more senior colleagues.

I agree the music had a bit more oomph and joy to it but I think it needs the Bolshoi's Pavel Sorokin to really set it on fire...did he not conduct it last year? It'll never been that Friday night 2009(?) Bolshoi Osipova/Vasiliev experience which brought the house down but I did enjoy it.

Edited by Don Q Fan

The 'colour coding' is all wrong. In Act 1 Espada wears the colours (cream and gold) that Basilio wears in the wedding scene in Act 3 and Mercedes' dress in Act 3 (orange) is confusingly similar to Kitri's in Act 2. And why do Kitri's friends not get a change of costume in Act 3?

• Like 2

Seligman was the conductor yesterday evening and on Tuesday. He has conducted the ENB Philharmonia at many of the ENB performances that I've been to and his biography appears in the programmes. Are conductors freelance or do they 'guest' with other orchestras?

• Like 1

Back to Vadim Muntagirov I did like how he put some extra special jumps into his dancing. I overheard a question at the stage door and he said he did have some artistic licence to do this. He did some particularly spectacular mid air splits in Act1 and his fouettes in Act3 all landed perfectly, as did Akane Takada's.

I agree all the comments about costumes. The Russians often have B&K in red and black for Act3 which I prefer and as Aileen says lends distinction for the audience. A change of costume for Kitri's friends would be nice as would one for Kitri in the opening scene of Act3. I do like the Dream Scene and just wish for a little more light at times so we can see those delightful tutus.

Tom Seligman is shown on the main programme as conducting 7 of the 16 performances of Don Q.  He has a much livelier style than Martin Yates and appears to take some passages a shade faster.

He is also scheduled to conduct some performances of ENB's Swan Lake over the next two weeks.

And, yes, he has conducted for the RB before.

I believe that conductors like Seligman and Dominic Grier (who is listed for Onegin) are freelance. These, and others nurtured by Barry Wordsworth, appear to be part of a growing band of younger ballet maestros.

In addition to his commitments with the RB, Barry Wordsworth has a heavy schedule of concert (and broadcasting) appearances and, as he prepares to bow out from being Musical Director of the RB, he may be now concentrating on those other aspects of his career.

• Like 1

There was huge applause for the orchestra yesterday evening. At one of the recent ENB Nutcracker performances there was unusually loud applause for the orchestra *before* the performance started. I don't know why and I really noticed it because it happens so rarely.

Hi, I've been "lurking" on this forum for a few weeks, but haven't posted anything before!

I was at last night's performance and really enjoyed it. I didn't find it dull or overlong (but then again I don't have the opportunity to see many ballet performances, and I haven't seen any other versions to compare this one with, so perhaps I'm easily pleased!). I loved the costumes, although I agree that Basilio's was a little drab in comparison to Kitri's; and yes, her friends could have dressed up a bit more for the wedding!

I really enjoyed Akane Takada as Kitri - her dancing was beautiful and she has a lovely expressive face which enhanced her performance. I also thought David Whitehead's Gamache was spot on and very amusingly performed.

However, it was Vadim who really made the performance for me. I adore his dancing; he is always so graceful and elegant right to his fingertips, and the beautiful use of his arms, hands and head make him stand out from other dancers in my opinion. To say nothing of those amazing (apparently effortless) lifts and leaps!

There may not have been any audience acknowledgement at the time of those incredibly held one-handed lifts, but there were certainly some sharp intakes of breath from people around me, and I overheard comments during the intervals and afterwards that showed that a large number of audience members did fully appreciate the feat.

Vadim's stage presence, for such a young man, is amazing - he "owned" the stage - and, importantly, he has charm in spades, which will always make an audience warm to him.

I met him briefly afterwards and asked how on earth he managed to hold those lifts for so long - he just laughed!

• Like 8

I adore Vadim's dancing too and I also love the way in which he partners his ballerinas; he's always so attentive and courteous. I think that his stage presence has really grown, particularly since he has been at the RB. He is a real asset to the company. I'm pleased that he's been so well received at the RB; many people did not see him dance with ENB. I think that his dancing last night would have made even more of an impact if he had been wearing colours which didn't fade into the background; in Act 1 he looked as if he'd escaped from Giselle.

• Like 5

^Courteous in his dance as is the man in person.  Vadim is just a delightful young man.  I have liked him in everything I have seen be it Le Corsaire, Romeo and Juliet, Nutcracker, DonQ, Symphonic Variations (was it recently) I think he would be fab in Diamonds and I am sure he will be wonderful in Onegin.  

• Like 5

And welcome from me too, Balletfanp!

Soares only just managed the one handed lifts whereas Muntagirov put Takada up like she was a feather.

Yes, but do bear in mind the relative sizes of the dancers :). I don't actually think Soares is quite tall enough to be partnering his wife in the Classical rep, although I suppose that may be less important for Don Q than in other ballets.

Soares is tall, isn't he? He must be 6 foot. I would guess that Nunez is about 5ft 5 or 5ft 6. I think that it's a question of strength as well as relative heights. Vasiliev is not tall but had no trouble with the one-handed lifts with Osipova who is quite a tall partner for him.

Well, Soares ended up dancing with Nunez last year when Kaneko was injured during her first performance. I found him curiously under-powered then but made allowances because it was an unscheduled partnership. Until he dances with his actual scheduled partner who has been chosen to complement him physically we won't know how 'good' he is at those one-handed lifts. He wouldn't be my preferred choice as Basilio and so I'll probably never find out what he is like in the role. I only have a limited appetite for this Don Q and I want to see a powerful and virtuoso dancer as Basilio.

Edited by aileen
  • Like 2

Reading through this thread, and the points being made about the suitability of certain dancers being cast in the various roles, it is obvious that injuries have taken their toll on the numbers available and appropriate for the lead roles.  I wondered how the RB compared with other similar companies,   So I did a quick summary of the female dancers in the higher ranks of the Royal, the POB and the Bolshoi.  I left out Corps members, who may very well be capable of performing those roles, but are less likely to get the opportunity. 

The Royal currently has 9 Principals - 7 full time and 2 guest dancers, 6 first soloists, and 10 soloists - a total of 25

The Paris Opera Ballet has 10 Principals, 6 Premier and 19 Sujets (which I assume equals soloist)  - .a total of  35..

.The Bolshoi has 10 principals, 6 lead soloists, 5 first soloists, and 15 soloists - 36 in total.

So, does the RB have enough dancers to cover the varied rep they are expected to perform?  I freely admit I know very little about POB and the Bolshoi in terms of the number of performances and types of choreography they undertake, but they certainly have more dancers in the higher ranks to carry the load. 

• Like 1