Ballet in the cinema - 2012-13 season

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I am SUPER excited, Andre dancing Espada - in the words of the song 'nobody does it better'!   Am seeing it at my usual haunt, Clapham Picturehouse.   It'd be super to have the dvd, a must in fact!   Thank you!

DQ was absolutely amazing, I believe I will never see better...   Can't wait for the dvd!

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen the Bolshoi Romeo and Juliet advertised on Odeon Culture Plus website. Live broadcast to be shown on 12th May. About a dozen cinemas listed including Blackpool, Manchester, Covent Garden and Taunton for Pat of Somerset! Been on the Bolshoi website but when you click on casting for that date it brings up casting for April 2012!!

I seem to remember watching my old Bolshoi at the Bolshoi video with possibly Irek and Bessmertnova with Alexander Vetrov as a very powerful Tybalt and there was very little in the way of scenery or sets. I kept waiting for some to appear! Does anyone know if this 2010 revival has proper sets?  Also, is Grigorovich still at the Bolshoi? I know he was taken on again as 'caretaker' to his own ballets when Burlaka started but haven't heard anything of him recently.      Joan

Just seen the Bolshoi Romeo and Juliet advertised on Odeon Culture Plus website. Live broadcast to be shown on 12th May. About a dozen cinemas listed including Blackpool, Manchester, Covent Garden and Taunton for Pat of Somerset! Been on the Bolshoi website but when you click on casting for that date it brings up casting for April 2012!!

I seem to remember watching my old Bolshoi at the Bolshoi video with possibly Irek and Bessmertnova with Alexander Vetrov as a very powerful Tybalt and there was very little in the way of scenery or sets. I kept waiting for some to appear! Does anyone know if this 2010 revival has proper sets?  Also, is Grigorovich still at the Bolshoi? I know he was taken on again as 'caretaker' to his own ballets when Burlaka started but haven't heard anything of him recently.      Joan

Joan, how kind of you to remember me personally!  I have booked for 12 May.  According to my Odeon Plus Culture leaflet Anna Nikulina is Juliet and Alexander Volchkov is Romeo but you never know with Bolshoi casting.  I too had the same experience with the Bolshoi website ie it brings up the casting for April 2012 so maybe this is where the information came from.  Taunton Odeon now seem to take all the RB and Bolshoi transmissions and they have been rewarded with virtually full houses, so long may it last!

Thank you again Joan

According to a post on screen at yesterday's DQ, The Rite of Spring is being replaced (in some cinemas only) by Esmeralda.   Check with your local cinema - Clapham definitely not showing an alternative as I got a refund on RoS yesterday.

There's no indication that Picturehouses are showing it: R&J is showing up as the next transmission.

Caspermil, thanks for the details of next season.  I'll move them into next season's thread.

Again, I see they barely bother to mention the non-French cinemas showing it.  Has anyone worked out *where* it's being shown in the UK?  Picturehouse don't seem to be bothering, and it's not mentioned on the Odeon's Culture leaflet.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has already been spotted and posted elsewhere but just seen on the ROH website that the Ashton mixed bill, including the Polunin/Rojo Marguerite and Armand is being shown at cinemas on Monday 15th July. Other ballets include Voices of Spring, Monotones 1 and II, La Valse and Meditation from Thais. No venue details yet. Slightly disappointed as I hoped it would be shown on tv then I could record it but I suppose it may yet appear on tv or as a dvd. Joan

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen on the Odeon website what looks like a new recording of the Kirov Swan Lake in 3D! it is filmed to celebrate 275 years since Russian ballet began and stars Ekaterina Kondaurova. Doesn't say who the Prince is. The picture looks a bit like Daniil Korsuntsev but it may not be. It is being broadcast on June 6th but only (at the moment at least) in a small selection of cinemas. They are Cardiff, Dumfermeline, Kingston, Liverpool, Sheffield, Silverlink and Trafford Centre. Often more get added as time goes on. Apparently the production 'will include Hollywood, Russian and other international guest stars - and exclusive glamourous presentations, exclusively for the cinema audience'. The mind boggles!!! Joan

I'm hoping the quality will be a lot better than the 3D Giselle.

I'm with you there.  I thought the Giselle was a bit of a disaster.  I took friends new to ballet and felt very uncomfortable all the way through

I felt oft during that screening that I needed to get my eyes examined.  Somehow the 3D struggled with the speed of movement when it came.  So happy to hear others were vexed.  I thought the problem had been ALL mine.  Feel better now. :) Bless you.

I am glad you that 3D has been mentioned as I was unsure whether to book the 2D or 3D version of the Kirov Swan Lake as both are running concurrently at my local Vue and I guess the 2D will be the one for me!  I think the Light is only 3D but need to check.

Must check where Ashton Bill is on - fingers x'd for a local cinema too!

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen on the Odeon website what looks like a new recording of the Kirov Swan Lake in 3D! it is filmed to celebrate 275 years since Russian ballet began and stars Ekaterina Kondaurova. Doesn't say who the Prince is. The picture looks a bit like Daniil Korsuntsev but it may not be. It is being broadcast on June 6th but only (at the moment at least) in a small selection of cinemas. They are Cardiff, Dumfermeline, Kingston, Liverpool, Sheffield, Silverlink and Trafford Centre. Often more get added as time goes on.

Well, I've just gone past the local Odeon on the bus and seen a poster advertising this, so I suspect the number of cinemas will have increased significantly by now, especially as my local isn't one of the most committed ballet-showers.

Is the RB Ashton Bill not being shown widely in July?  Seems such a shame that it seems to be on limited release especially as it was trailered at the start of Alice.

Edited by Don Q Fan

The Swan Lake live from the Mariinsky looks very interesting, the website gives Ekaterina Kondaurova-Odette, Timur Askerov-Siegfried, and Xander Parish in the pas de trois.

I might go and see this, the Brighton Odeon has the 3D version and the prices are quite high, £22.50 top, such a good cast though.