Ballet in the cinema - 2012-13 season

Ann, I booked at the Ritzy in Brixton for Sunday's Bolshoi relay with no difficulty at all ... although this is still listed as a Picturehouse cinema (although I understand from Alison's note that they have been taken over by the Odeon chain) .... I will give you a link which you can directly book your ticket on:

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Ritzy_Picturehouse/Category/Ballet/film/Bolshoi_La_Bayadere_Live/

By my count there are 24 (so plenty) of seats left. To wit, if you wished to save the booking fee you could either call (expensive) or wait until the day and book at the cinema. I'm sure you would have no problem - There never seems to be. That way you would save yourself the expense.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else tried to book online for this Sunday's streamed Bolshoi 'Bayadere' at any of the advertised Odeons? I realise that all cinemas these days are coy about publishing their direct 'phone numbers lest it deprive them of the benefits derived from the enforced use of their premium numbers, but even so... ..I've been frustrated at every turn in making a telephone booking for this event at any of the few advertised London Odeons - their system refuses to bring up the necessary booking form. is anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, Anne, I booked online as soon as the booking opened and it was as easy as usual, so I am sorry to hear you are having trouble. You need to select your cinema from the list but to make the actual booking you click on the time. You then should get a seating plan up and you move however many people you are booking for to the seats you want. I don't know whether this helps.

I know what you mean about the Odeon telephone and their seeming shyness about events such as these. We have taken to printing things out from the website and taking them to our bridge club, and such places where we know people will be interested. Result, our local Odeon is now nearly booked up for Sunday

I hope you manage to book somehow. I see from the above which came in while I was replying, that you have!

I am looking forward to it also

The Odeon have just announced the repeated Bolshoi Don Q on their Culture Plus at 3pm Feb 10th. Blackpool again, hurrah!!! The cinemas listed are Blackpool, Braehead, Chelmsford, Hatfield, Kettering, Taunton, Tunbridge Wells. It's worth keep checking as they usually add more cinemas as time goes on. The thought of seeing Osipova and Vasilev again is keeping me going through this cold, miserable weather. A bit of Spanish warmth and colour to look forward to and the Mikhailovsky still to come!!

• Like 1

The Odeon have just announced the repeated Bolshoi Don Q on their Culture Plus at 3pm Feb 10th. Blackpool again, hurrah!!! The cinemas listed are Blackpool, Braehead, Chelmsford, Hatfield, Kettering, Taunton, Tunbridge Wells. It's worth keep checking as they usually add more cinemas as time goes on. The thought of seeing Osipova and Vasilev again is keeping me going through this cold, miserable weather. A bit of Spanish warmth and colour to look forward to and the Mikhailovsky still to come!!

Thank you! That's really good news. I didn't see it first time around in the cinema but I did see them live at ROH (was it two or three years ago). My local cinema is on the list you gave, so here's hoping. We will try and book when we go to Bayadere this Sunday. That is,if it is has stoppped snowing. It's been falling for nearly five hours now and I live in the town. What it's like on Exmoor or up on the hills, I hate to think. Thanks you for cheering me up

Ann, I booked at the Ritzy in Brixton for Sunday's Bolshoi relay with no difficulty at all ... although this is still listed as a Picturehouse cinema (although I understand from Alison's note that they have been taken over by the Odeon chain) .

I don't think I said that, did I? :unsure:

To wit, if you wished to save the booking fee you could either call (expensive) or wait until the day and book at the cinema. I'm sure you would have no problem - There never seems to be. That way you would save yourself the expense.

I know the feeling. I flatly refuse to use 0870 numbers. To my mind, if someone wants me to buy something from them, they do not charge exorbitant rates and cream off a nice percentage of the cost of the call for themselves, especially given that they're already charging booking fees as well; they do it at a local rate or even provide me with a local number, or they don't get my custom!

Dear Alison, Sorry, I knew it was someone ... (and perhaps it wasn't you who mentioned it .... that's only ever encroaching old age on my part I fear ... nothing else) .... Picturehouse has been taken over by Cineworld (not Odeon). That is the way of things now of course ... and I, for one, am not entirely certain that this will be the most understanding situation for the 'Arts Screenings' in the two 'Art Houses' that is the explicit property of the Pictureshouse portfolio. A sign of the times indeed. Of course they say that things will not change ... the gray pound ONLY getting bigger if not, perhaps, always stronger ... with it - at some point of course - having to die away. Nonetheless, here is a link to a Guardian article on the same ... which says things will be ALL for the good. My fingers (et all) are crossed.

http://www.guardian....ys-picturehouse

Edited by Meunier

I  know the feeling. I flatly refuse to use 0870 numbers. To my mind, if someone wants me to buy something from them, they do not charge exorbitant rates and cream off a nice percentage of the cost of the call for themselves, especially given that they're already charging booking fees as well; they do it at a local rate or even provide me with a local number, or they don't get my custom!

Many 0870 and similar  UK phone numbers have a local number alternative which generally isn't published. The best place to start looking for these numbers is usually:

http://www.saynoto0870.com.

On this page, click on the not-too-prominent link to 'Search for an alternative number.' Then enter the details of the company you want to call (also works well for train enquiries, airlines and much more) or give the expensive published number and you'll get a list of local alternatives. If that doesn't work (Sometimes the local numbers are out of date or take you to a switchboard which refuses to forward your call), I've found that a Google search for 'local phone number for [name of company]' often gives results - though again these are sometimes out of date.

If you do need to call an expensive number, it can be helpful to use moneysavingexpert.com's UK call checker at: http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/ukcallchecker/ .

Enter the type of number you need to call (0870 etc.), your landline provider etc. and it will tell you the cheapest way to call. It only covers calling from landlines, though you might also want to see http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/mobile-phone-cost-cutting  if you're calling from a mobile. 

Also if the number you need to call has an overseas branch (e.g. airlines), it's often much cheaper (or free, depending on your calling plan) to call that number. Best place to start for that is moneysavingexpert.com's international call checker: http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/ Calls from Internet phone providers aren't covered  here - I've found that these are sometimes cheaper.

Yaffa

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this Amelia.  I did see it in the cinema but it was wonderful to revisit it on the internet.  I love the 2nd act .... with the different national dances ... especially the Indian one.  I love how that motif is taken up in the upbeat segment of Nikya's solo so prized by the Russians.  It makes such perfect dramatic sense too being - as it is - immediately prior to the snake's fatal bite .... Indeed, it succeeds in ratcheting up the tension in a truly Shakespearean sense.  I love too how the golden idol and the indian principals return - a la Nutcracker ... immediately prior to Nikya's entrance in that act ... fully illustrating that the celebration of the wedding has come to its heightened conclusion.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the Bolshoi Don Q yesterday and it was even more amazing than what I remembered 2 years ago.

There are the usual minor gripes about sometimes the camera not being where you wanted it but that was more than cancelled out by getting great close ups (something you really miss when you're in the amphitheatre). You pick up all sorts of 'business' you would otherwise miss. I'd forgotten the wonderful Andre Mercuriev was the matador which I think he also was in the recent Kirov Don Q featuring Sarafanov before he left the Kirov.  I hope Andre comes with the Bolshoi this year for Flames. He's great in that too. Osipova and Vasiliev were really something else. I've only ever seen Nina Anashvilli compare with her for fouettes. I don't know which would win that competition. But her backbreaking leaps too and when she soared into Vasiliev's arms; she just took off like a rocket. he too was amazing. His jump where he turns and does the splits mid-air and that amazing turn when his legs and feet seem to be going in opposite directions. his most amazing feat was when he did the one-handed lift. Amazingly he does it on tiptoes and the second time he went into arabesque at the same time!!

All we need now is the dvd. I've emailed BelAir but first they kept saying it was due out last year and recently they've just stopped replying to my emails. Oh well, there always March to look forward too!!    Joan

Saw the Bolshoi Don Q yesterday and it was even more amazing than what I remembered 2 years ago.

There are the usual minor gripes about sometimes the camera not being where you wanted it but that was more than cancelled out by getting great close ups (something you really miss when you're in the amphitheatre). You pick up all sorts of 'business' you would otherwise miss. I'd forgotten the wonderful Andre Mercuriev was the matador which I think he also was in the recent Kirov Don Q featuring Sarafanov before he left the Kirov.  I hope Andre comes with the Bolshoi this year for Flames. He's great in that too. Osipova and Vasiliev were really something else. I've only ever seen Nina Anashvilli compare with her for fouettes. I don't know which would win that competition. But her backbreaking leaps too and when she soared into Vasiliev's arms; she just took off like a rocket. he too was amazing. His jump where he turns and does the splits mid-air and that amazing turn when his legs and feet seem to be going in opposite directions. his most amazing feat was when he did the one-handed lift. Amazingly he does it on tiptoes and the second time he went into arabesque at the same time!!

All we need now is the dvd. I've emailed BelAir but first they kept saying it was due out last year and recently they've just stopped replying to my emails. Oh well, there always March to look forward too!!    Joan

I too saw the Bolshoi Don Q yesterday.  It was a recording but none the worse for that.  I saw it and 'them' at ROH two years ago and can still remember the excitement and the joy they seem to take in performing. They lend themselves to Don Q so well.  He is an amazing jumper who seems to hang in the air and she moves across the stage at the speed of light. Yes, the camera was not always on the feet when you wanted it to be or full stage when you would have liked, but very small gripes for what was a wonderful afternoon.  Does anyone by any chance have a full cast list please?  The credits rolled very quickly at our Odeon and of course they had no printed cast lists

My Odeon was advertising Rite of Spring for 31 March although it has been cancelled.  Do you know what they are showing Jopan?  Have I missed something?

Pat 

My Odeon was advertising Rite of Spring for 31 March although it has been cancelled.  Do you know what they are showing Jopan?  Have I missed something?

Pat 

It's supposed to be Esmeralda in the UK, I believe.

Thank you and my apologies for giving Joan a 'p' in the middle of her name. A typo - sorry

Pat

Is any cinema in London showing the live relay of Notre-Dame de Paris on Thursday from La Scala with Osipova and Bolle?  I've looked but I can't find anything ... but then that may not be comprehensive.

Have you tried the website either Joan or I (or was it Pat?) flagged up a few weeks ago, Meunier?

Interesting they may be showing Esmerelda instead of Rite of Spring. Is this a live performance replacing Rite (which is still on the Bolshoi schdule website) or a repeat of the recording shown about 15 months ago?

Incidentally, any news about the filming of the Ashton triple bill at the ROH? is it going to be shown on tv? Despite the cinema screenings very little seems to be reaching the tv or dvd stage, mainly I suppose because they've all been done before.

(Don't bother about spelling my name wrong, Pat. I answer to anything!)   Joan

Interesting they may be showing Esmerelda instead of Rite of Spring. Is this a live performance replacing Rite (which is still on the Bolshoi schdule website) or a repeat of the recording shown about 15 months ago?

Incidentally, any news about the filming of the Ashton triple bill at the ROH? is it going to be shown on tv? Despite the cinema screenings very little seems to be reaching the tv or dvd stage, mainly I suppose because they've all been done before.

(Don't bother about spelling my name wrong, Pat. I answer to anything!)   Joan

Esmeralda is a repeat of the one from 15 months ago.

I've no idea what's happening about the Ashton triple: I had a suspicion that because of the limited filming (they aren't recording a backup) it won't be shown in cinemas, but I'm hoping it might pop up on the Beeb.  Unfortunately, a lot of the RB DVD recordings have ended up on Sky.  The Cuthbertson/Bonelli R&J is however due out on DVD later this month.

The Ashton triple bill will be recorded and is scheduled to be broadcasted in Japan in March 18th. They are, 

La Valse, Thais, Voices of Spring, Monotones 1 & 2, Marguerite and Armand 

Cojocaru and McRae in Voices of Spring, Rojo and Polunin in Marguerite and Armand are expected 

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmation from the cast sheet this weekend that the Bolshoi's original Lost Illusions has been replaced by La Sylphide, so I hope that makes you happy.

Current dates are:

30th September - La Sylphide

21st October - Swan Lake

25th November - Pharoah's Daughter

16th December - Nutcracker

27th January - La Bayadère

10th February - Don Quixote

31st March - The Rite of Spring (hopefully with something else, to justify the £15 price tag!)

12th May - Romeo & Juliet (whose? I'm losing track)

Swan Lake, Nutcracker and Don Q are all recorded, not live.

Probably not news, but The Rite of Spring has been cancelled because of the Filin incident.   The advice I have is to ask for a refund if you've bought cinema tickets, but conceivably The Bolshoi might be putting something else on to replace RoS.

Probably not news, but The Rite of Spring has been cancelled because of the Filin incident.   The advice I have is to ask for a refund if you've bought cinema tickets, but conceivably The Bolshoi might be putting something else on to replace RoS.

Email just received - CANCELLED: The Bolshoi Ballet's The Rite of Spring

As you may already be aware, Sergei Filin, the artistic director of the Bolshoi Ballet, has been hospitalised and recovery is expected to take several months. Due to this the live transmission of The Rite of Spring on Sunday 31 March has had to be cancelled. All customers with tickets for this event will receive a full refund. Please either visit the Box Office in person or call 0871 902 5747.

I'm very disappointed with the Royal Ballets choice of broadcasts. All have been shown fairly recently either on tv or at the cinema. I don't think I'll be going to any and, living in Lancashire, I rely a lot on the cinema broadcasts. I've said it before but I'll say it again, what is the problem of recording Onegin? Is it Reid Anderson? The fact that 2 performances have been officially recorded; the Marcia Haydee one and Canadian Ballet must have meant either Cranko himself or Reid Anderson gave permission then so why not now? it is such a beautiful ballet (possibly my favourite), it deserves a modern recording.

Bolshoi cinema broadcasts are more interesting though I was disappointed with the music for Lost Illusions. I don't see the point of rejecting what was probably a quite tuneful and traditional score by Asafiev and having a rather spiky modern score created for a ballet set in the 18th (?) century. The Vasiliev/Osipova Don Q is definately worth a second broadcast, though I hope this doesn't mean the dvd is going to be delayed even more. When I contacted BelAir Classique they said they were releasing it sometime this year but I don't know what's taking them so long as it is over a year after the original broadcast and I would have thought it is the dvd everyone is waiting for. Joan

Does anyone know who is dancing Espada in DQ next Sunday?   Is it Merkuriev?   Hope so!

Yes Andre is dancing Espada. Where are you seeing it next Sunday? I saw it 2 weeks ago but would love to see it again. Incidentally I emailed BelAir dvd company again and they got back to me this time and said they are negotiating the video rights so perhaps this Christmas I'll get the Christmas present I wanted 2 years ago.     Joan

• Like 1

Yes Andre is dancing Espada. Where are you seeing it next Sunday? I saw it 2 weeks ago but would love to see it again. Incidentally I emailed BelAir dvd company again and they got back to me this time and said they are negotiating the video rights so perhaps this Christmas I'll get the Christmas present I wanted 2 years ago.     Joan

Now I am SUPER excited, Andre dancing Espada - in the words of the song 'nobody does it better'!   Am seeing it at my usual haunt, Clapham Picturehouse.   It'd be super to have the dvd, a must in fact!   Thank you!

Confirmation from the cast sheet this weekend that the Bolshoi's original Lost Illusions has been replaced by La Sylphide, so I hope that makes you happy.

Current dates are:

30th September - La Sylphide

21st October - Swan Lake

25th November - Pharoah's Daughter

16th December - Nutcracker

27th January - La Bayadère

10th February - Don Quixote

31st March - The Rite of Spring (hopefully with something else, to justify the £15 price tag!)

12th May - Romeo & Juliet (whose? I'm losing track)

Swan Lake, Nutcracker and Don Q are all recorded, not live.

According to a post on screen at yesterday's DQ, The Rite of Spring is being replaced (in some cinemas only) by Esmeralda.   Check with your local cinema - Clapham definitely not showing an alternative as I got a refund on RoS yesterday.