Ballet in the cinema - 2012-13 season

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just noticed that the Bolshoi website has the casting information for the September 30 performance of La Sylphide.

http://www.bolshoi.r...#20120930190000

Are we looking at the same thing? All I can see is what appears to be the list of everyone (including former company members like Osipova) who've ever danced those roles. If you can actually see the cast for the 30th, can you post it, please?

Sylph Ekaterina Krysanova James Vyacheslav Lopatin Madge, witch Irina Zibrova Effie, James' fiancee Anna Rebetskaya Gurn Denis Savin Anna, James' mother Irina Semirechenskaya Two Friends Alexander Vorobiyov

Alexander Voytyuk Pas de six Ivan Alexeyev

Xenia Kern

Maria Prorvich

Anna Proskurnina

Igor Tsvirko

Klim Yefimov Old Musician Andrei Sitnikov The First Sylph Anna Tikhomirova Two Sylphs Olga Kishnyova

Victoria Yakusheva

sorry this didn't come out in nice columns. You can see it in a tidier format here: http://toursenlair.blogspot.ca/2012/09/bolshoi-live-broadcast-la-sylphide_5.html

Edited by toursenlair

sorry this didn't come out in nice columns.

That's why I didn't post the casting earlier! I had tried to copy and paste it from the Bolshoi website but it came out with Krysanova as James, Lopatin as Madge....etc. That's why I only put the link. I am, however, very surprised that the link doesn't work for everybody.

Edited by Bluebird

Sylph Ekaterina Krysanova

James Vyacheslav Lopatin

Madge, Irina Zibrova

Effie, Anna Rebetskaya

Gurn Denis Savin

Anna, Irina Semirechenskaya

Two Friends Alexander Vorobiyov,Alexander Voytyuk

Pas de six Ivan Alexeyev

Xenia Kern

Maria Prorvich

Anna Proskurnina

Igor Tsvirko

Klim Yefimov

Old Musician Andrei Sitnikov

The First Sylph Anna Tikhomirova

Two Sylphs Olga Kishnyova

Victoria Yakusheva

According to an email recently received from Picturehouse Cinemas, they are bumping their prices for the National Theatre Live relays - to £17.50, I think it was, presumably from £15. I wonder if there are any implications for the ballet relays?

That's why I didn't post the casting earlier! I had tried to copy and paste it from the Bolshoi website but it came out with Krysanova as James, Lopatin as Madge....etc. That's why I only put the link. I am, however, very surprised that the link doesn't work for everybody.

It's odd, as I've certainly been able to see casting on the Bolshoi website previously. In any case, thank you, Bluebird, tours and sonik.

According to an email recently received from Picturehouse Cinemas, they are bumping their prices for the National Theatre Live relays - to £17.50, I think it was, presumably from £15. I wonder if there are any implications for the ballet relays?

Their current prices for the ballet shows are £20, £15 for concs, £13 for members.

What?! That's disgraceful. That's a 1/3 increase. Sounds as though I shall be forced to become a member. They've always advised me not to before because the free tickets were only to standard performances, and since none of the Picturehouses could in any way be described as local to me I would never use them. (Meunier, do you have any information to the contrary to impart?)

Alternatively, has anyone found another chain which shows the relays? It seems to me that Picturehouses has a virtual monopoly.

Not as far as I am aware, Alison. I have always been a member ... and yet not yet used one of the 'regular' free tickets ... I have a store of them on my account ... and this year will add more it seems. I don't begrudge it through, because you do get the active discount, can book easily on-line and help support a cinema - in my case the Ritzy in Brixton - which itself does much social good.

What?! That's disgraceful. That's a 1/3 increase. Sounds as though I shall be forced to become a member. They've always advised me not to before because the free tickets were only to standard performances, and since none of the Picturehouses could in any way be described as local to me I would never use them. (Meunier, do you have any information to the contrary to impart?)

Alternatively, has anyone found another chain which shows the relays? It seems to me that Picturehouses has a virtual monopoly.

I don't think the Phoenix, East Finchley is part of the Picturehouse chain. As far as I know it's an independent cinema.........at least I can't find any reference to the Picturehouse chain on its website.

Edited to add the Phoenix prices for La Sylphide: £15 adults £13 concessions

Edited by Bluebird

Thanks, Bluebird. No, it is independent - but always sells out, doesn't it? Since I never know where I shall be at the weekend until shortly before (and what engineering works there are) I haven't made it there for a showing yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Their current prices for the ballet shows are £20, £15 for concs, £13 for members.

During Open House weekend, I ended up at Stratford Picturehouse, so picked up their film brochure. It's showing prices, there at least, as £15 still. Don't know what the rest of the chain is doing.

I'm very pleased if the Royal Ballet decide to screen the Ashton Quintuple (or is it Sextuple?) Bill - I agree completely with patsomerset that the Royal Ballet season is a little too 'predictable'.

I received the Period 2 booking brochure the other day: it certainly shows that the bill is being filmed, but doesn't give an indication of any cinema broadcasts, so it may just be for DVD.

During Open House weekend, I ended up at Stratford Picturehouse, so picked up their film brochure. It's showing prices, there at least, as £15 still. Don't know what the rest of the chain is doing.

It may have been showing £15, but it turned out they were charging £20 like everywhere else - naughty. I assumed that, as with the Odeon, prices might vary according to location depending on how successful the broadcasts had been, but obviously not. Perhaps I'll try the Phoenix next time.

Edit: having looked a little further on the site, I'm amazed to see they have the gall to charge £20 for the repeat of the Bolshoi Swan Lake recorded a couple of years back: previously, repeats and/or non-live transmissions have always been at a cheaper rate as they don't require the use of satellite equipment.

showcase cinemas charge £12.50 for ballet shows, at least for the royal ballet they do.

Bye the way whilst booking some tickets today I noticed they are doing some encore performances of the RB live shows at the weekends I think, can`t remember the dates , this is certainly more family friendly than the mid week shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I missed it, but who will be dancing the recorded Swan Lake of the Bolshoi in cinemas around October 21rst ?

I haven't seen the details listed anywhere but I've just googled to try to find the cast and one of the cinemas is showing the featured dancers as Alexandrova, Skvortsov and Tsiskaridze. I obviously have no confirmation that this cinema has the correct cast listed.

Edited by Bluebird

Didn't anyone report on it when it was originally shown? I didn't go at the time, and I certainly shan't be going this time, since I see Picturehouses have the unmitigated gall to be charging their new, already-increased-by-one-third, "live-broadcast" rates for a recording made two years ago. Last time I went to a pre-recorded ballet there (2 months ago) it was £12 or thereabouts.

thanks, Bluebird - at first I thought great, but it is realy already 2 years old ? I would have expected a more recent performance. However, we're going anyhow.

Just back from Munich where Zakharova performed as a guest with Bavarian Staatsballett in La Bayadere - at least a glimpse of the Bolshoi :)

Hi Farfallina, welcome to the forum. I envy your trip to Munich, I fell in love with the theatre when I was there in April. I would like to go again, this time to see the home company, when the opportunity arises.

We'd love to hear what you thought about the performance you saw.

Hi Janet, thank you very mch for the kind welcoming. I used to be a little more active in the old forum, but fell into some kind of state of shock over Sergei Filin's retirement as a dancer. Gradually I'm overcoming that and him being the new Artistic Director is helping me to come to terms with it ;)

I'm not such an expert that I could write a sophisticated review that would do Zakharova justice - all I can say she was marvellous and it was sheer joy to watch. It was amazing how she would fit in and stand out at the same time dancing with a company which is not quiet her league.

April 2013 Munich will have the Mikhailovsky over for two nights of Sleeping Beauty - I hope to see Osipova / Vassiliev / Sarafanov there.

Next stop will be Amsterdam though for the premiere of Wheel don's Cinderella.

• Like 1

Thank you, Farfallina. Interesting to note that my local Odeon's "culture" leaflet now includes that performance, plus a few NDT ones (and other arts events). Perhaps Odeon are starting to break Picturehouses' virtual stranglehold on the "foreign" broadcasts.

Cinemas seem to start noticing that their is a "market" for these transmissions. In our cinema the Bolshoi is always almost sold out. I love their live transmissions - I think Katerina Novikova presents it in such a charming way - I just wish they would finally interview Filin during the break :rolleyes:

I wonder how they decide who will dance the live transmissions - must be at least the third time in a row that Skvortsov is on...

Interesting that you say Pharoah's daughter is in the Odeon's 'Culture' leaflet Alison. I have Culture Plus saved as a favourite and there is no mention of it there yet. However, I noticed last year they broadcast Esmerelda at very short notice and also this year they advertised la Sylphide also at short notice and at a very few cinemas (none that close to Preston where I live). I have raised the issue of Bolshoi broadcasts several times with Preston Odeon as we get quite good ballet audiences considering they only started broadcasting them this year. I pointed out the discrepancy between opera shown at the Odeon (many by Glydebourne and the Met) and even the ROH film twice as many operas as ballets. I was told the decision is taken by the distributor not by them. So I will keep checking Culture Plus and hope this time they will show Pharoah's Daughter somewhere local. Joan

• 2 weeks later...

I see the Odeon has announced its cinemas showing Pharoah's daughter. They are Blackpool, Braehead, Colchester, Covent Garden, Guilford, Hatfield, Kensington, Milton Keynes, Salisbury and Wimbledon. Rather an odd selection but great for me that Blackpool is the only Odeon cinema in the north of England showing it. I know other cinemas show the Bolshoi but it means travelling to Liverpool or Lancaster so I hope they continue showing them, especially Don Q. I'm dying to see that again. Joan