RBS JA auditions

passionforballet

My DD auditioned a few years ago now, but my main comments would be- keep it fun. We combined it with something else exciting to do that day, and just thought of it as an opportunity to 'show the nice people her lovely dancing'. Keep the build up to a minimum and try not to let her know if you are getting nervous as results date gets closer. (Postman stalking is an occupational hazard of being a ballet Mum.)

Edited by tutoo2much
  • Like 1

Passionforballet

Hi My two daughters aged 8 (last Tuesday) and 9 (10 in march) are doing RBS Associates auditions and Elmhurst auditions (nearly 10 is doing Northern too). We live in North Sheffield. My youngest did the RBS JA day in London in October and absolutely loved it. The class was relaxed but very focused and the kids all paid attention for the whole 2 hours. We are really looking forward to the 'fun' extra classes they are getting to do. They haven't auditioned before.

We might see you there!!

Edited by eloise_please

Hi passionforballet

My 8 year old DD auditioned for JA's last year and got in, she smiled and really enjoyed the class. They are very good at putting the children at ease and present it as a basic ballet class with some stretches, nothing too hard. Tell your daughters to listen and take notice of what they are asked to do and just to enjoy the experience.

There are some more JA days coming up so it might be worth looking on the website.

Good luck!!

Ax

Ahhh thankyou! We went to the JA for a day in London in oct and are going to the Northern ballet one with my nearly 10 yr old on 29th jan. just got their audition photos taken. They found one of them quite tricky! How come you are auditioning again? At the Open day in London for Royal ballet they said one they got in for JA they were in until they were too old and auditioned again for MA's. Zoe

Lol thats okay!! I understand that to be correct, the JA's dont need to audition again until year 6 for the MA's. We would just be invited back to attend the following year. I would imagine if there were any major issues with a child during JA's it would be addressed while attending.

Ax

Cool. Where in the country do you go? We were going to audition at Leeds for Leeds 1st choice, Manchester 2nd choice as we were advised in London. The class there was lovely, my youngest learnt so much (as did myself and her ballet teacher). I do grade 4 ballet! Lol! And adult tap and streetdance! I have done pointe work when a bit younger!! Lol!

hi just want to intoduce my self as i'm a newbie :) my daughter is 8 and is going to her first audition in may at birmingham . i think i'm more nervous than her !! she is going to the ja for the day in birmingham in march so i hope it will help her and me see what its all about. ive been here a while just reading peoples advice which is very helpful and i hope i get chance to meet some of you

Welcome Grumpybearzuk to this wonderful forum!

Good luck to your dd in her Birmingham audition - my dd is a JA (year 6) there. I'm sure she will enjoy both the JA for a day session and the actual audition. And don't worry - it's quite normal for the moms to be nervous wrecks whilst the children take it all in their stride!! :)

• Like 1

Hi Grumpybearzuk! We are new too! Auditioning my 2 at Leeds this year. We went to London day with my youngest and she loved it. The class is lovely. You get to watch the class and I took her teacher which was lovely too. And yes I am very nervous for them too and my two take all their comps and exams in their stride!!

• Like 1

eloise_please

Cool. Where in the country do you go? We were going to audition at Leeds for Leeds 1st choice, Manchester 2nd choice as we were advised in London. The class there was lovely, my youngest learnt so much (as did myself and her ballet teacher). I do grade 4 ballet! Lol! And adult tap and streetdance! I have done pointe work when a bit younger!! Lol!

Hi Zoe, we go to Newcastle and my DD thoroughly enjoyed her audition due to everyone being so nice, she is still enjoying her JA's, keep going with the ballet etc I am learning ballroom now!!

Ax

thankyou for the welcome as i am new to ballet( i did ballroom and stage when i was younger!) i find all this auditioning and exams alot to take in and there seems so much competition between the mums at my daughters ballet school. my daughter loves ballet and has just gone up to grade 3 which she is really enjoying. she was doing tap and jazz too but has decided she doesnt like it anymore !! i wil definately be visiting here often for advice :)

• Like 1

Hi I think there is only is going for associates from my girls ballet school. I don't think anyone else is mad enough to want to drive to Leeds each week! Lol! The girls are very keen dancers and it was their teacher who recommended we try them. I try not to be pushy as I don't want them to get to the stage where they don't enjoy it anymore, which is what it's all about. Also I know they would have to work very hard if they choose to dance (my brother is on the west end!) and the profession is also very competitive. It's nice to come on here and get some support! X

Ask your teacher for help. They don't need to be professional quality, and I used to take my dd's myself in the studio or school hall. But it is more important that they show the child's physique and technique to the best. Your teacher will hopefully be able to help your dds to get into the right positions and will be able to advise you on which of the photos you take is the best from a technical point of view.

At least that is my understanding.

Thank heaven for digital cameras, it was a nightmare when you had to wait for the pictures to come back from Boots before you knew whether they were good enough!

• Like 1

Any tips for getting the photos for the applications done?

Most dance teachers are happy to do these particularly if you have private lessons. After all they have to sign the form and many children only audition for JAs on the recommendation of their dance teacher. Does depend on the relationship you have with the teacher - we are very lucky in that respect! :)

Thanks guys. Their teacher spent their private lesson a couple of weeks ago doing some with a photography student taking them but we've had some technical issues with her computer and might not be able to get them off. So I was going to have another go myself. I did ballet myself and the teacher was very good at correcting their postures and positioning. I just wondered if it mattered if the quality wasn't so good if I do them myself. The elmhurst and RBS ones are a while off but the Northern ballet one has to be in mid feb. hopefully we can still get the other ones off yet but I might do some as a back up!!

I took my DD's photos in our lounge against a wall in the day time with good light. The poses were shown on the application form, I took about 4 of each pose so that when I downloaded them onto the computer we were able to pick the most suitable. My DD kept getting the giggles so she was smiling on some of hers!!

As long as they havent been touched up or altered and are clear to see the poses they are suitable to send.

Ax