Irina Baronova book launch

The actress Victoria Tennant has written a biography of her mother, Irina Baronova, and there's going to be a book launch at the RAD headquarters on 10 December.

http://www.rad.org.uk/events/irina-baronova-and-the-ballets-russes-de-monte-carlo

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/the-stellar-career-of-victoria-tennants-mother-irina-baronova-20141107-119az1.html

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

Many thanks for the information and the link. I am going along to this.

I already have the book. I recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about Irina Baronova and the Ballets Russes de Monte Carlo - so many notable dancers and choreographers, and interesting personalities, were associated with the Ballets Russes companies. The book gives insight into the remarkable part the Ballets Russes played in keeping ballet going as a living art form in the period between the two world wars, and in transmitting ballet and ballet appreciation to large parts of the world, e.g. USA and Australia, where interest had previously been minimal. An insight is also given into the extremely strenuous schedules which the dancers had to keep. Remarkable that at the start of the Ballets Russes de Monte Carlo, two of their leading ballerinas were only 13 (one being Baronova), and another was 15.

The book is very well-produced and has many evocative photos. I shall probably buy another copy at the book launch to give as a present to a young relative.

Edited by FrankH
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

When I received an email with further information on the event, it mentioned that there are still limited places available.

"Booking in advance is advisable however tickets will also be available to purchase on the door."

There is no station particularly close to the Academy, but bus no. 170 [Victoria - Roehampton] has a stop nearby. Clapham Junction is probably the closest station.

• 4 weeks later...