Standards?!

BadBallerina

Badballerina- RBS SS is statitically very difficult to get into, especially for girls. Some of those that make it into RBS also attend other SS that dont clash so I would say the standard is like the top end of each age group at other summer schools. Each year lots of very good dancers apply to RBS SS and dont get places, as its so popular in UK and for overseas dancers.

• Like 1

Yes, I know that there is pretty much no chance of getting into the course because I will be one month too old (how frustrating!) But I still might apply, I don't really know.

Badballerina you must apply, my GDD attended two RBS ss's although she got turned down last year, and she is one day too old, yes one day would you believe.

My dance teacher has told me that the best ones are RBS, enbs (recommended by her sister), central, elmhurst and YBSS but will also apply to any others that have been suggested on here!

Any comments on flexibility of girls at these summer school??? I am just beginning to be able to do more flexible things (oversplkt on left, just splits on right and about 1/2 a foot off box)

It comes as no surprise to hear which dance summer schools your teacher has suggested - but I would point out that those are well established programmes that have been running for years that most dance teachers would name - especially if they are not so in touch with ballet as a whole across the country.  There are so many excellent summer schools and some have not been running that many years so look at them all and make your choices on what suits you - both for ballet, timing and cost.  Prices also vary considerably.

Ballet Cymru is another that might suit you.  Its run by and taught by the company in Newport Wales.  They divide on age into 2 groups and 15 would squeeze you into the top group.  It is non residential though so one where you would need a parent to accompany.  Application date is usually later on this one than others - May/June - not sure if their website is running at the moment but searching the forum for previous threads would give you more information.

Don't worry about flexibility.

• Like 1

Flexibility at summer schools will vary enormously. There will also be girls who stretch fully, including splits, before class. My dd is an Associate at two different, highly respected schemes, and in those classes the girls do not do splits until after a full barre session, when they are fully warm. They never do over splits in class at all.

My advice would be to do your own pre-class warmup as prescribed by your teacher - don't worry about what anyone else is doing, or indeed how flexible they are. :-)

• Like 4

Thank you spannerandpony, I am in a flexibility class and we sort of have a set warmup which I do 3-5 times a week to stretch. Just hoping that I get onto a summer course in the first place as I don't know wether to book ones (without audition photos) and then cancel if I get a better offer although I know I shouldn't do that as its unprofessional?!

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, its interesting to see the comments about class sizes. I only created the Ballet Boost courses this easter and the USP is precisely that - capped class sizes AND no performance!! Its all about the opportunity to further their training and parents can choose a couple of classes to watch. But it exists for training purposes. I will not allow some to have attention and others not - everyone is corrected and feels valued wether they are vocational or not. 

Don't worry too much about exams - we often use this to group students but the first day will often result in changes. The grade invariably does NOT reflect the standard of the dancer unfortunately!! Some very talented children are in lower grades etc.

Goodluck with everything

• Like 2