Appeals - school auditions

famcandance2

Has anyone on here ever appealed an audition decision before? I have heard of someone appealing, and would be interested to know how this works. Sounds a difficult thing to do without offending the panel and questioning their judgement. Also who do you appeal to, as surely if you appeal to the same people, the decision would be the same? Hope this makes sense. Anyone?

No, not heard of that before. If schools say they won't even enter into correspondence about auditions, I can't imagine they'd be open to appeals.

What grounds would you think there would be for appeal? Illness on the audition day, or simply appealing against a no?

I am sure this topic has been discussed before but I couldn't find a link to it. I don't think anyone knew of anyone that had been successful in an appeal. Someone said they had appealed on the grounds that the child had been ill on the day of the audition but had simply been told to try the following year.

I am sure the schools have a policy detailing grounds to appeal. Maybe if there was something unfair about their selection procedure or one of the panel had accepted a bribe or had a niece auditioning? Other than that you just have to assume they saw more potential in the children that they offered places to.

Perhaps ring the school and ask if they have a written policy?

This is a link to Elmhurst's policy.

http://www.elmhurstdance.co.uk/policies/AuditionAppealsPolicy.pdf

editted to add link

Edited by tutoo2much
  • Like 1

I haven't kept paperwork, so am relying on memory, but I think the 'no' letter from one school's finals explained the grounds on which appeals could be made- illness on the day and if you felt that the audition had not been carried out within the school's published process and not much else as far as I recall.

The Royal Ballet school states that you have no opportunity to appeal.

http://www.royal-bal...ions_Policy.pdf

http://tringpark.com...ations/policies

So do Tring (Click on Admissions Policy)

On the Hammond web-site it states

PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL HAMMOND SCHOOL POLICIES ARE AVAILABLE TO READ UPON REQUEST

It looks as if you stand the best chance if the school in question is Elmhurst. However if your appeal is upheld then you get the opportunity to audition again rather than get offered a place.

Edited by tutoo2much

This is very interesting. I'm wondering on what grounds the person I heard of is basing their appeal. Personally I don't see the point because surely if you audition again, you will be seen by the same people, and if they said no the first time, what are the chances of them saying yes this time. Oh well, each to their own.