Getting to the Northern Ballet School

lilacfairy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fullcontretemps  - my DDs have always been told in person by the teacher , both at local ballet school and now elder DD is at vocational school by the teacher who entered her for the exam - that is their policy so don't assume it is bad news.   Manchester results are definitely out and I think it is nice for the teachers to be able to share in the excitement of results by doing it in person. Others at DDs school found out their results yesterday - DD got told today by her own teacher that she passed her Adv2.

• Like 6

Fantastic news 2dancersmum - well done to your DD :D

(I was right haha! I am an old fogey so didn't expect a great mark but thought I should have passed. Did get plenty of marks for a pass but they just marked me down on pointework which was definitely not the thing I did worst in! Hey ho at least I know I was generally good enough and I don't need the qualification for anything. Out of interest, am I allowed to ask what other people thought of the examiner - obviously not naming her, and very general opinions - or is that against the rules?)

Thanks everyone. How frustrating Fullcontretemps! DD got a fairly high merit and I was not sure how she would feel about her mark as a girl who always wants a distinction. As it was, it was the teacher who was upset as she felt DD had been marked very harshly and any other examiner would have given her another 10 marks (and distinction). I'm not going into details on a public forum but apparently there is history here. Anyway DD took the teacher's comments as a compliment/faith in her ability and is just happy to have passed.

Edited by 2dancersmum
  • Like 7

A bit disappointed and slightly baffled but that's the way the cookie crumbles! At least we (my friend in the same exam as me is in the same predicament) get to celebrate with the two from our class who took London session and got merits! And now we can distract ourselves preparing for our show in 3 weeks...

Enjoy celebrating everyone - you've all done fantastically :D  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

DD has an audition next Monday. Just deciding whether it's still worth the time and money to go as feel she 's totally unlikely to be good enough to get a place, and that we would struggle to afford it anyway. Was going largely for the experience, but have already been to one at Elmhurst. Interested for any opinions particularly about the NBS audition experience. Just don't want to mess people around either as May want to audition at 18. Thanks.

Northern has a completely different feel to it than Elmhurst and may be a useful experience for your DD, even if she does not get offered a place.  It would not affect her chances of reapplying at 18 in any case - but may help her either make it a definite one to apply to at 18 or rule it out altogether,  It is a few years ago for us but the day started with a tour of the facilities with both parents and children together, ending with a Q & A session in their theatre.  We were given quite useful information on DADAs, accommodation etc.  The students then went into the audition and parents left the building.  I cannot tell you about the content of the audition - except to say that my DD enjoyed it but it finished with an interview and a physio check.  They all finished at different times but it was a good 3-4 hours altogether.  My DD thoroughly enjoyed her afternoon here - despite having a virus and being at far from her best - they did offer to let her audition a different day instead but DD was determined to go ahead.  It certainly offers a different audition experience to Elmhurst and after you have already spent the money on applying, personally I would be tempted to see how she got on