Getting to RAD from Kings Cross (avoiding Victoria)

TheMightyTwiglet

You can get a bus from South Kensington or Sloane Square and so avoid Victoria.  From southh Kensington its a short walk once you get off the bus.  The bus from Sloane Square drops you just outside RAD HQ in Battersea I think.  Look on the RAD website under Find US and it gives you the bus numbers and routes. 

• Like 1

I'm sure these responses have now got you sorted, but do look at the tfl.gov.uk website as you can put in the addresses of where you're travelling to and from and on which days/times etc - and preferences for type of transport/walking time etc etc.

There is a bus stop literally outside the door, and as far as I can remember, parking in nearby streets is ok on a Sunday, but haven't tried it in the week.

DD did a week's course at HQ in the summer, and made her way by herself from Kings Cross to Victoria on the Underground and then the bus absolutely fine. The bus stop at Victoria is outside the main entrance, turn left and a short way down the road, bus stop R, bus no 170, and they are fairly frequent. No trouble at all, and much easier than driving.

Can I just ask the OP why the need to avoid Victoria? We have always got the tube to Victoria and then the 170 bus direct to the RAD and it's been very straightforward. Is there something happening around Victoria at the moment that is causing a problem? We will be going down for DD to do her Advanced 1 exam shortly, so if I need to think about going another way, please let me know!

I was in Victoria this week. The whole rail station area is being redeveloped and the area was confined so was busy even at lunch time. It was one of those situations were you could see where you needed to be but couldn't easily cross the road to get there.

Have to say didn't head out of station towards the 170 bus stop so no idea what that way is like.

Good luck for the exam.

Thanks.Sounds like we should allow some extra time or have a plan B. Not that we have any plans yet actually as we still don't have the date or time for the exam, which is starting to stress me unbelievably given that the exam session starts in 2 weeks. I am supposed to give 6 weeks notice for leave at work so i am going to have some serious grovelling to do unless we get a date right at the end of the session.Plus I am worrying about booking trains and accommodation at short notice. With it being the last chance to do this syllabus I will have to get her there somehow!

No, she is the only one unfortunately. There are a couple doing intermediate, but I daren't imagine we would be so lucky as to get their exams on the same day. She's 16, but we live in a rural area so she has never even been on a local bus on her own (we don't have any!) never mind travelled to London alone. Plus it's too far to go there and back in one day really so she would be on her own overnight, which I wouldn't be comfortable with.

Don't forget, tube & bus isn't the only option. Clapham Junction main railway station is also only about a 10-15 min walk from RAD, so provides many other possible options. All the trains going into Victoria & Waterloo stop there, plus London overground. Clapham Junction is therefore the easiest option for anyone traveling from the south. But if Waterloo is easy to get to, then you could get train from there down to Clapham Junction. Only takes about 5 mins. Or the London overground (west London line) which comes down from Shepherds Bush way goes to Clapham Junction. Alternatively, Southern Railway run a direct service from Milton Keynes, via Watford, Wembley etc down to Clapham Junction which could be best for anyone living in that vicinity.

• Like 1