Irek Mukhamedov

I just stumbled upon this Austrian article about a new "Tristan" ballet at Slovenian National Opera and Ballet Theatre at Ljubljana - Irek Mukhamedov was the ballet director there, but it seems he was replaced in June by Sanja Neskovic Persin, former ballerina at Ljubljana. The article says that he was "artistically bland" and that his "rude management style" had caused trouble in the ensemble.

Wasn't he in Greece before that?  I believe he did well there.  He was teaching senior boys at Elmhurst some years ago very successfully.  A former student of mine, who was studying there at that time, used to watch them and M was really nice to him, occasionally allowing him to join in.  He is so charismatic and exciting - I would certainly not describe him or his works as bland!   Very strange............. Wonder what really happened?????

• Like 1

Didn't realise this hadn't posted this morning!

I'd assumed from that interview, wherever it was, that he was working permanently for ENB?

The article says that he was "artistically bland" and that his "rude management style" had caused trouble in the ensemble.

Angela, you're the native speaker of course, but are you sure that "rude" is actually the best translation of "rüde"?  I'd have thought something like "abrasive" might have been nearer the mark.

Dear all, I'm posting this as an information from a foreign newspaper, not to harm Mukhamedov's reputation. I don't know what happened at Ljubljana, I'm sure the information received by the author of the article was supplied by someone from the new directorship and so not necessarily impartial. The fact is, Mukhamedov is no longer ballet director at the Slovenian Theatre, and I wanted to let you know that. 

Alison, as I'm translating into a foreign language, I'm not sure what the perfect word for "rüde" is - in German it is quite strong, much more than "unfriendly" or "not so nice", almost offensive.