ROH amphitheatre terrace watch

alison

Estimated 70+ people on there this evening - Ashton bill - and that was on a fairly chilly evening, and with no seats in the heated area for people to sit there.

Do feel free to contribute: I don't get to the ROH nearly often enough to do much on this.

Alex Beard has said that he has plans to close part of the terrace so as to incorporate it into the main building.  He has implied that the terrace is wonderful in summer but that, for the rest of the year, it is too exposed to the elements and that the space would be of more value if it were enclosed.  He made these comments during a recent interview at the London Ballet Circle.

I was on the terrace last night. I like to get a bit of fresh air during the RB's long intervals and enjoy the view of the piazza. Are these plans with a view to providing yet more catering options? The terrace is not particularly large and if it was reduced in size could become unpleasantly crowded.

• Like 1

Alex Beard has said that he has plans to close part of the terrace so as to incorporate it into the main building.  He has implied that the terrace is wonderful in summer but that, for the rest of the year, it is too exposed to the elements and that the space would be of more value if it were enclosed.  He made these comments during a recent interview at the London Ballet Circle.

I hate the word value when applied in this context. 

What he means is that there is a bit of space that ticket holders can use without actually having to pay money to buy something extra.  And that would never do. 

• Like 2

I hate the word value when applied in this context. 

What he means is that there is a bit of space that ticket holders can use without actually having to pay money to buy something extra.  And that would never do. 

The word 'value' only came up in my attempt to paraphrase Alex Beard's comments.  I'm pretty sure it's not a word he used. 

The word 'value' only came up in my attempt to paraphrase Alex Beard's comments.  I'm pretty sure it's not a word he used. 

No, but it is probably what he meant!

As someone who buys seats in the stalls sometimes, I hate the new set up in the Floral Hall.  The bar area seems to take up a massive amount of space, and there seems to be hardly anywhere to stand any more if you don't actually want to buy an interval drink.

And even if you do, you don't seem to get served any quicker than you did with the old arrangement. 

Edited by Fonty

As someone who buys seats in the stalls sometimes, I hate the new set up in the Floral Hall.  The new bar area seems to take up a massive amount of space, and there seems to be hardly anywhere to stand any more if you don't actually want to buy an interval drink.

On Wednesday it was all change with the bar pushed to the side and more tables scattered around. Don't know whether this is permanent but it did seem to be easier to move around.

On Wednesday it was all change with the bar pushed to the side and more tables scattered around. Don't know whether this is permanent but it did seem to be easier to move around.

I understand it was set up in that manner for an event in the FH on Thursday.  It was certainly back to "normal" yesterday evening.

Thank you for bumping this, sarahw: I'd completely forgotten that I'd started it! Yes, it was prompted by my hearing reports of what Alex Beard had said about the terrace being underused, which didn't seem to tally with my experiences when I'm out there, so I was curious and thought I might keep a tally. Unfortunately, I don't get to go very often, so if anyone else feels like contributing, please feel free!

• 2 weeks later...