Melvyn Bragg on Baryshnikov

Apologies as usual if this info has already been posted, but I've just spotted in the TV listings for this week that on Thursday 16th  at 9.30 pm on Sky Arts 1 (yes, it WOULD be Sky, wouldn't it?) in the South Bank Show Originals, Melvyn Bragg  will be reflecting on two meetings with Baryshiknov., the first in 1983 and the second in 2012 'when making a film about male dancers.'  The programme description mentions interviews with admirers and refers to the dancer's 'sensitivity and technical brilliance' etc.

Sounds interesting.  Does anyone know any more about the film on male dancers mentioned, or has it been and gone?.

I think the film about male dancers referred to in the programme description could possibly be be the Norwegian documentary 'Ballet Boys' which was released in the UK without trace in mid-September, having premiered at the Edinburgh Festival.  I checked on IMDB and it looks as if it must have been shown somewhere because it had rather nice reviews in both  the Telegraph and the Guardian, and two IMDB forum posters (both non-ballet fans) really liked it.  I'd  like to see it myself so I'll try chasing it up.

I think the film about male dancers referred to in the programme description could possibly be be the Norwegian documentary 'Ballet Boys'  

I'm not so sure about that: I've seen or heard some reference to it, and I don't remember it in any way being Norwegian.  I'm also not sure whether it's actually been on, but then if it was on Sky it would have passed me by completely anyway.

I'm not so sure about that: I've seen or heard some reference to it, and I don't remember it in any way being Norwegian.  I'm also not sure whether it's actually been on, but then if it was on Sky it would have passed me by completely anyway.

There was a South Bank Show (2012) on the role of the male dancer on Sky Arts 1 which had interviews with Baryshnikov, Carlos Acosta, Edward Watson and Tamara Rojo. More info here

Edited by ambros1a

Oh, that must be it then.  Thanks Ambrosia.  I'm a bit disappointed - it did sound from the wording in the Telegraph TV listings as if it was a new documentary film rather than an existing TV programme.  However, Thursday's programme on Baryshnikov is definitely a new one and may contain interesting interviews with dance professionals and the like - would be worth watching had one weakened and succumbed to the Murdoch lure! The Ballet Boys documentary film definitely sounds worth chasing though.

Edited by Ann Williams

• 2 weeks later...