The new ROH website

Let's hope they mean "in the very near future" and will not continue to giving us the same answer...next year! Really, how much effort is needed to put all the dancers's bio on the website? They do have them ready-to-print when needed for the programmes. 

not to mention almost all other ballet companies manage to do it. I suspect when (if) ROH gets around to it, they'll also bury it somewhere on the website where it's least intuitive to find it!

• Like 2

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see bios and headshots for all the company dancers on their websites. Why do these companies drag their heels on this? It's not a lot of work. Admittedly, ENB does have headshots and bios for the senior dancers on their site. I actually find it quite insulting to the more junior dancers that information about them does not appear. To be fair to ENB, they do have headshots and some limited biographical information for all the soloists, as well as headshots for all the artists, in their programmes, but of course not everyone buys them. In ENB's case, artists often dance important, and occasionally leading, roles and it is only fair that they are recognised on the website, rather than being treated as one amorphous mass. Actually, particularly at the RB, it's quite frustrating that many dancers in a performance are not named in the cast list but are just described as "dancers of the company" or something along those lines.

• Like 5

I would like to see bios and headshots for all the company dancers on their websites. Why do these companies drag their heels on this? It's not a lot of work. Admittedly, ENB does have headshots and bios for the senior dancers on their site. I actually find it quite insulting to the more junior dancers that information about them does not appear. To be fair to ENB, they do have headshots and some limited biographical information for all the soloists, as well as headshots for all the artists, in their programmes, but of course not everyone buys them. In ENB's case, artists often dance important, and occasionally leading, roles and it is only fair that they are recognised on the website, rather than being treated as one amorphous mass. Actually, particularly at the RB, it's quite frustrating that many dancers in a performance are not named in the cast list but are just described as "dancers of the company" or something along those lines.

Couldn't agree more Aileen!!! I also feel it is insulting to junior dancers not to be mentioned on a company's website, as if they don't count nor have a place in the company, not worth the mention, as if a company only consists of Principals and Soloists.  I have often felt cross about this oversight of the powers-that-be. Do they still live in the past?

I never forget when a generous fan decided to give all the Swan Lake Corps dancers a flower at the end of the run (Oct/Nov 2012), it brought tears to my eyes as I was so happy they too were recognised. This was the first year ever they each got 1 (well-deserved) flower on stage. 

• Like 2

I've moved some posts discussing the ROH website over from another thread relating to Johan Kobborg's injury (http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/2684-johan-kobborg-was-listed-as-injured-in-nutcracker-120113/page-0)

Edit: and again I can't get at the ROH website - I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" again, except that this time it does have the ROH logo at the left of the tab, so some sort of connection has presumably been made.

Aileen: I'm with you in finding the RB amiss in frequently not naming its Artists in an evening's programme, particularly as all names were regularly included way back in the late 50s to mid-60s.  I don't know when the change of heart on this occurred, but it does strike me as having been a retrograde step.  (And, thinking of future historians and the like, I wonder if the archivists are separately keeping a log of all names dancing at any given performance?)

• Like 3

Couldn't agree more Aileen!!! I also feel it is insulting to junior dancers not to be mentioned on a company's website, as if they don't count nor have a place in the company, not worth the mention, as if a company only consists of Principals and Soloists.  I have often felt cross about this oversight of the powers-that-be. Do they still live in the past?

I never forget when a generous fan decided to give all the Swan Lake Corps dancers a flower at the end of the run (Oct/Nov 2012), it brought tears to my eyes as I was so happy they too were recognised. This was the first year ever they each got 1 (well-deserved) flower on stage. 

In the days when photographs were published on the website for most of the dancers, they were not shown for the very youngest. There seemed to be an age limit of perhaps 18 years, or possibly a bit less. I guess that this was to protect the youngest dancers from inappropriate approaches (for example stalking) and give them a period of time to adapt to adult life working in a ballet company coming straight from school. This may not be the case for other companies, but the Royal Ballet is in a special position being so well-known and operating in the global metropolis of London where anything can happen. One only has to think of the Bolshoi situation to see the sense in this. I don't think it is in any way insulting to the dancers, even though it is frustrating for audience members wishing to identify newcomers.

In the days when photographs were published on the website for most of the dancers, they were not shown for the very youngest. There seemed to be an age limit of perhaps 18 years, or possibly a bit less. I guess that this was to protect the youngest dancers from inappropriate approaches (for example stalking) and give them a period of time to adapt to adult life working in a ballet company coming straight from school. This may not be the case for other companies, but the Royal Ballet is in a special position being so well-known and operating in the global metropolis of London where anything can happen. One only has to think of the Bolshoi situation to see the sense in this. I don't think it is in any way insulting to the dancers, even though it is frustrating for audience members wishing to identify newcomers.

"operating in the global metropolis etc.". As opposed to, say, New York City Ballet, and American Ballet Theatre, both of which publish this info on their websites? Most ballet companies are in large cities where anything can happen.

• Like 1

Are you sure it was a fan? Also, it may be the only time recently that this has happened, but it has certainly happened before.

Are you sure it was a fan? Also, it may be the only time recently that this has happened, but it has certainly happened before.

I am in my late twenties (and going to the ballet for the last decade) so if it has happened before it must be a long time ago.

That's what I was told: "a fan" ( I was really curious to find out from whom they came...so I asked :)