doing enough ballet to start pointe?

DropOfSun

I take a lot of dance per week (i do modern through my high school 4 days a week and i'm in a contemporary company that rehearses twice a week) but i only take one pure ballet class per week (it's 2 hours long if that matters). My ballet teacher wants me to start pointe this year (i'm 15, by the way, so older then most girls are when they start pointe) but i've heard you need at least 3 or 4 hours of ballet a week to do pointe safely and healthily. do you think my many hours per week of other similar types of dance count towards this? if absolutely necessary i could fit another ballet class into my schedule but it would be very tight and hard to do, especially considering i'm not planning on pursuing ballet as a career, i'm an actress.

Edited by DropOfSun

Hi, my dd does approx 4 hrs ballet plus half hour pointe class, however I have known girls do pointe with less ballet classes (some small dance studios only have 1-2 hours per grade).

If you have doubts, and pointe is something you want to do, talk to your ballet teacher. Your teacher knows you and your abilities, and is the best person to advise you.

I'm just wondering why you would want to start pointe now?  It sort of strikes me as being rather unneccessary under the circumstances ( that you do mainly modern and want to be an actress).

I'm not sure, it just looks really fun and it's something i've wanted to do for ages. Plus, i'm already in one of the most advanced ballet classes at my studio so i'd like more challenge.

I would say that if you are going to use pointe for more contemporary dance - then sufficient strength would be the issue and your teacher would be able to check for that.

However, if you are going to use pointe work for ballet - then I think you need  more than one ballet class per week.

You stated that you "only take one pure ballet class per week".  May I ask over what  span of time you have been attending ballet classes?  Have you been taking ballet classes for weeks, months, years?  I think that additional information will be useful for us to base our advice upon.