Peter Darrells Nutcracker

I am looking forward to seeing this at Christmas. Christopher Hampson used youngsters in Hansel and Gretel and I really like that.

Darrells Nutcracker differs from practically all of them in one area. Clara is played by a young girl in a non dancing Role or major non dancing role I should say. It also uses children too. In the second half Clara watches the performance from the side of the stage. At the end she is a sleep and her Dad or uncle finds her and takes her off to bed I guess. The Uncle comes in and sprinkles some magic dust to finish it off. All a dream or is it? Magic!

Mum still regards his as one of the best and says it is magical. For me as kid it was boring I did not like ballet at all. Now I am interested in the Entire history of ballet! Big turn around!!!!  When I saw it for final time before all the financial and funding issues at Scottish Ballet there was almost a tear in my eye. This propelled me to get more interested in reading about it.

I read Darrell Loved theatre and I guess entertaining through ballet. Mum thinks as do I from loose memory his Rome and Juliet is still great even compared to new versions I have seen.

• Like 1

Darrells Nutcracker differs from practically all of them in one area. Clara is played by a young girl in a non dancing Role or major non dancing role I should say. It also uses children too. 

Just wanted to mention that Balanchine's famously does so as well.  I think it is grand that Hampson is helping to restore Darrell's heritage to the Scottish Ballet canvas.  It certainly has been somewhat overdue. 

• Like 1