Sergei Polunin - news and discussions

I've booked to see Ferri and Bonelli in M&A. I thought they were a particularly good partnership in Woolf Works. They had that certain something. I had hoped to see Yanowsky in this triple as well but tickets were flying off the shelf and I only just managed to get a decent seat for the 8th in the balcony, despite being in the queue just after 9am.  Unless there are some good returns, I will be more than satisfied just to see her in Mayerling. As will my bank account!:(

Probably heresy to say it but I am quite bored with the Polunin saga now. As I have said before, I wish him well and I am glad to have seen him dance M&A with Rojo. But if he dances this time with Osipova or whether he returns to the RB or whatever, I really don't care anymore. 

I am more interested in who will dance Oberon in The Dream.

• Like 8

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going on the 8th too Jacqueline! 

Im in the stalls Circle where I haven't sat for over three years now but as I had to return my Mayerling ticket and couldn't get an exchange etc then I suppose I don't feel so bad about the expense.

im not sure whether will get to see Mayerling now may just turn up for a return on a Watson Osipova night but can only make one of those and I think it's the night the Amphi is set aside for students so not looking too hopeful.

anyway I'm digressing away from Polunin.

I suppose I would like to see him dance now though after all the hype.

Regarding Polunin playing Soloviev: Soloviev was one of the all time great Soviet male dancers. Certainly -- or, let's say, in the opinion of many -- he was in the  Nureyev/Baryshnikov stratosphere of greatness. He danced with the Kirov and, obviously, never achieved their level of fame. Wikipedia claims he was pressured to join the communist party and did not; from elsewhere in my reading I infer that he sometimes had some difficulties coping within the Soviet system. He committed suicide when he was 36/37 years old.

Unfortunately I know his dancing only from film and video. I would not say he danced like a woman, as someone suggested above, though in the video of the Sylphides performance referred to, he certainly dances with poetry and delicacy appropriate to the Kirov version of the ballet. Fortunately, there are a fair number of youtube videos of Soloviev at various stages of his career in a range of roles from Bournonville to Petipa to Gsovsky and Grigorovich (Stone Flower-a particularly charming video).  A lot of the best of these videos are in black and white. I'm not obsessed with "the old days" but I don't think I could recommend a better evening to any lover of Russian ballet than sitting and watching these videos. I'm prejudiced perhaps, but I think even Russian-ballet skeptics may find something to love and admire in Soloviev.

Full disclosure: the very first ballet I was ever taken to see was the 1965 film of the Kirov in Sleeping Beauty with Alla Sizova and Yuri Soloviev as Aurora and her Prince. I fell in love with ballet at once, and I consider that I owe a huge portion of my life's happiness to those dancers.

Hope Polunin can do Soloviev justice!

Edited by DrewCo
  • Like 8

On 04/04/2017 at 03:35, DrewCo said:

Regarding Polunin playing Soloviev: Soloviev was one of the all time great Soviet male dancers. Certainly -- or, let's say, in the opinion of many -- he was in the  Nureyev/Baryshnikov stratosphere of greatness. He danced with the Kirov and, obviously, never achieved their level of fame. Wikipedia claims he was pressured to join the communist party and did not; from elsewhere in my reading I infer that he sometimes had some difficulties coping within the Soviet system. He committed suicide when he was 36/37 years old.

How tragic. 

On 4/2/2017 at 19:15, Sim said:

I dream The Dream will have Sambe as Oberon to Hayward's Titania!  But I would also be happy with Mr Campbell...

I'd be very happy with Sambe but in the dream I dream The Dream will have Hay as Oberon to Hayward's Titania. I think he has that fey look (those eyes) which would be perfect and he's been dancing brilliantly this season. Not long ago I never thought I'd count myself a fan but strange & unexpected things can happen at the ballet. 

• Like 5

I see that the Bolshoi Cinema  relay of Giselle on 8th April 2018 is to be the performance captured live on 11th Oct 2015 that paired Zakharova with Polunin!

Edited by David
grammar correction!
  • Like 4

On 6 aprile 2017 at 17:49, Amelia said:

I was fortunate enough to have a ticket to the show on Thursday. It was wonderful, I'm happy to say that Polunin responds to criticism with facts: I never see a German audience so enthusiastic. At the end of the show, Polunin was called on stage I think five times, the audience would not stop applauding.

• Like 2

On 7 aprile 2017 at 13:04, David said:

I see that the Bolshoi Cinema  relay of Giselle on 8th April 2018 is to be the performance captured live on 11th Oct 2015 that paired Zakharova with Polunin!

A beautiful performance, I felt very sorry for the little fall of Zakharova, who still doesn't have a negative impact on her excellent performance, thankfully. Polunin remarkable as ever in that role

• Like 2

Gastspiel aus Moskau mit “Mayerling"

http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inhalt.ballettfestwoche-im-nationaltheater-gastspiel-aus-moskau-mit-mayerling.70b2776a-10ce-474d-ac97-5467a86d87d1.html

What a change of the partner for Polunin’s Rudolf! The blonde ‘Maria Vestera’ got injured on stage before she could be killed and was unable to continue dancing. The dark-haired Xenia Shevtsova - who had never rehearsed with Polunin and was watching the performance from the auditorium - rushed backstage, stepped in and, according to the reviewer, gave a passionate performance. Their duet was “technically a miracle”.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Amelia said:

Gastspiel aus Moskau mit “Mayerling"

http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inhalt.ballettfestwoche-im-nationaltheater-gastspiel-aus-moskau-mit-mayerling.70b2776a-10ce-474d-ac97-5467a86d87d1.html

What a change of the partner for Polunin’s Rudolf! The blonde ‘Maria Vestera’ got injured on stage before she could be killed and was unable to continue dancing. The dark-haired Xenia Shevtsova - who had never rehearsed with Polunin and was watching the performance from the auditorium - rushed backstage, stepped in and, according to the reviewer, gave a passionate performance. Their duet was “technically a miracle”.

It was really a little miracle: she has dealt with the situation very well and Polunin has once again proven to be a great professional: If she were a step too far back, he was there, if she wrong time, he resolved the situation. At one point I was afraid that he will hurt, because she was not able to position itself well for a grip and he lift her bodily... Of course, I speak of small things, completely understandable given the situation. I love Mayerling and I know it by heart, but those who have seen the ballet for the first time didn't notice anything, that's the miracle.

2 hours ago, Amelia said:

• Like 2

On 8.4.2017 at 15:25, Lilian88 said:

I never see a German audience so enthusiastic.

You've rarely been to ballet performances in Germany then... ;) We can do much better than five curtains!

• Like 3

What fabulous news!  So pleased I have tickets.....when I bought them months ago for Osipova's performances, I did so in the hope that it might be with Sergei!  My other dream for The Dream has also come true....Hayward and Sambe together again in another Ashton....what a great way to end the season!!  :)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, capybara said:

It is very much in the tradition of Mayerling that the dancer playing Rudolf takes solo curtain calls. But lovely to read that the Munich audience was so appreciative.

Yes, but I think I can say it's not in the tradition of Polunin :) He rarely come out alone, he takes always many curtains with the ballerina who play Maria Vetsera. We had to applaude really much for call him outside, but yes, the audience was very appreciative and warm! 

5 hours ago, Angela said:

You've rarely been to ballet performances in Germany then... ;) We can do much better than five curtains!

I am referring to the five curtain call for him alone at the end, before this there were many more, of course. 

Personally I prefer the theaters with a more intimate atmosphere, especially during the show and in Germany I find me very well from this point of view, so please, take it as a positive consideration on my part :) 

Edited by Lilian88
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Fonty said:

:)

I am just smiling to myself, wondering how they could fit in some dancing!  Maybe a quick twirl around the dining car, while he waits for his cocktail?

Sorry, I was obviously being dum!  Perhaps he could dance the length of the corridor, feather duster in hand.

i guess Sergei is settling for being a personality now rather than a dancer.  Sigh.  How long before we see him on Love Island or I'm a Celebrity?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

i guess Sergei is settling for being a personality now rather than a dancer.  Sigh.  How long before we see him on Love Island or I'm a Celebrity?

Oh dear. I hope he doesn't read this forum or it might give him ideas. :o

Actually whenever I see there's been a new post on this thread, I now hold my breath in fearful anticipation as to what his next move is. Which is very sad really. However I'm very much looking forward to the film, not just because he's in it!

• Like 2

Am I alone in feeling a tad bored with this personality who progressively has less and less to do with ballet which is, after all, I believe the mandate of a site called 'BalletcoForum'.   Of course, I may be wrong.

Even now I wish him naught but well and wish that he and much of the current conversation which surrounds him would just move on.  Somehow I suspect he does too.  (Of course I may be VERY wrong. ... (Oh, my ... May ... 'MAY' ...  that word again! ... How easily - and dare I say it - quickly - things can become tarnished nowadays. .... What is it they say:  'Memories' are golden? ... Well, for a while ... at least.  Coco Chanel I remember once said:  'Memories lose calories ... and now I'm undernourished!'  Too right girl!!!

Edited by Bruce Wall

5 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Sorry, I was obviously being dum!  Perhaps he could dance the length of the corridor, feather duster in hand.

He always was a personality. I believe he has interests different from "being a personality" thus I am not worried about seeing him on "Love Island" et caetera.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

Actually whenever I see there's been a new post on this thread, I now hold my breath in fearful anticipation as to what his next move is. Which is very sad really. However I'm very much looking forward to the film, not just because he's in it!

Whenever I see there's been a new post, I anticipate primarily heaps of fresh scorn poured upon him...

• Like 2

In many ways Polunin's story reminds me of Christopher Gable..  One of the finest dancers of his generation, he left the Royal Ballet and ballet completely as a result of their poor treatment of him.  He then forged a successful career in acting, eventually returning to ballet many years later.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

In many ways Polunin's story reminds me of Christopher Gable..  One of the finest dancers of his generation, he left the Royal Ballet and ballet completely as a result of their poor treatment of him.  He then forged a successful career in acting, eventually returning to ballet many years later.

When I was a youth in the West End (and this is over half a century ago) I would sometimes walk back home (yes, times were very different then - children did a full week's work being paid an adult's salary - and even though bombings were much MORE frequent then - given all the 'Irish troubles') after a performance with Christopher Gable since we lived - at that time - in the same area ... but were in different shows.  We would just cross paths on the way as t'were.  Such a lovely man he was.  I, myself, don't think this comparison is entirely apt - apart from the fact that both were associated with the Royal Ballet.  Certainly Gable NEVER left them in the lurch ... and he was - I promise you - a very different character.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I believe Mr Gable also had problems with arthritis in his feet and that was a contributory factor to his retiring from ballet.  It is mentioned in several of his obituaries - here is a link to one:  http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/obituary-christopher-gable-1180734.html

• Like 3