Sergei Polunin - news and discussions

Some updates and news about the poor Polunin and his sad life as lost child who wasted his talent.
Polunin's stay in Munich ended with a brilliant performance in La Bayadère, very applauded by the audience and with a crowd of people waiting for him out of the theater. Here some photos and videos.

Here it's possible to see other really nice photos of the performance and the backstage by the ballet photographer Jack Devant:
https://www.jackdevant.com
Meanwhile his documentary, Dancer, had open the Festival dei Popoli in Florence, (here some videos including a piece transmitted by the Italian national news)

Dancer it will be also presented in Kiev on this October 24 during an event that will also include a Q&A with Polunin and the producer Gabriella Tana after the screening of the film.
He is also appeared on photo-shootings for various magazine including one for WMagazine, with this nice interview:
https://www.wmagazine.com/story/sergei-polunin-dancer-actor-murder-on-the-orient-express
and another for "Another Man" issue, with the title "Modern Mythologies". Here the cover:

This is the poster of his character in Murder on the Orient Express and another with the full cast:

I'm also pleased to announce that his performance as Rudolph on the last April in Munich, have gained an honorable mention among the "Outstanding Performances by a Male Dancer" of this year, chosed by the critics for Dance Europe Magazine.

• Like 4

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Project Polunin presented the full program of December performances at the London Coliseum. 

Satori, this is the fascinating title of the work, will include:
"First Solo" by Andrey Kaydanovskiy, "Scriabiniana" by Kasyan Goleizovsky and "Satori", choreographed by Polunin himself. 
The complete cast is still to be announced.

https://londoncoliseum.org/whats-on/project-polunin/

https://www.dancing-times.co.uk/project-polunin/

Polunin was also named by the Evening Standard among the londons most influential people of 2017 in the category "performers: theatre and dance":

"You can’t deny the star power of Ukrainian dancer Sergei Polunin, 27, bringing ballet to places other performers just can’t reach. More than 20 million YouTube views for his Take Me to Church video directed by David LaChapelle, a brilliantly candid documentary, Dancer, roles in Kenneth Branagh’s Murder on the Orient Express film and a new Jennifer Lawrence movie it all adds up to the kind of global recognition that’s rare among dancers."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/the1000/the-progress-1000-londons-most-influential-people-2017-performers-theatre-dance-a3655696.html

Edited by Lilian88
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2017 at 13:15, Fonty said:

Wow, what on earth is that crawling across Kenneth Branagh's face? He looks like a walrus.

I don't know whether I can be bothered to go and see this.  There is only one Hercule Poirot in my opinion, and that is the wonderful Mr Suchet. 

Impossible to take Branagh seriously with that thing on his face!  Anyone remember the beards from Gettysburg which made everyone in the cinema snigger?

The star-struck wannabe...

On 10/2/2017 at 13:15, Fonty said:

Star-studded: It is one of the most highly-anticipated films of the year, starring some of the biggest names in Hollywood - including Sergei Polunin, Olivia Colman, Sir Derek Jacobi, Sir Kenneth , Michelle and Tom Bateman (L-R)

The opening night of ’The Orient Express’ yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzdyFT7ev8k

There is a Russian article here about Polunin but the video clips there are in English:
http://balletristic.com/почему-сергей-полунин-не-новый-барышн/

Edited by Amelia
added the second link
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sim said:

Why remake this film in the first place??  The original was so wonderful, it just doesn't warrant the need for a new one.  

Quite agree, Sim.  I suppose the sad answer is that somebody thought that all you have to do is gather together some starry names, and assume that everybody has forgotten the plot of the original, or is too young to have seen it.  It is the equivalent of a pop star recording yet another version of Unchained Melody.  

Apparently they are doing Death on the Nile next.  :(

• Like 4

I think much more interesting for Polunin fans will be the new film on Nureyev "The White Crow" being filmed next year mentioned on another thread here.

He is not playing Nureyev but a dancing friend of Nureyev in this film.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sim said:

Why remake this film in the first place??  The original was so wonderful, it just doesn't warrant the need for a new one.  

Because everything has to be remade, doesn't it?  I mean, heaven forbid that young(ish) people today watch a film that doesn't have HD and CGI ;)  I wonder what percentage of the remakes surpass the originals?  I think it must be fairly low.

• Like 1

Well I'm just home from seeing Murder on the Orient Express.  Of course everyone familiar with the book will know that virtually every character other than Poirot will be a cameo!

While I didn't find it as taut and claustrophobic as the book or the Finney version I did enjoy it (apart from the moustache that was totally ludicrous).  Polunin's character probably has the least to do but I must say I thought he had tremendous on screen charisma.  

(At the end there was a very oblique reference to Death on the Nile.)

• Like 5

I appreciate people may be enthusiastic fans of Polunin but perhaps not quite SO many piccies/videos on ONE page as I find this page very difficult to access as it constantly has to keep reloading because of all the photo content here etc.!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LinMM said:

I think much more interesting for Polunin fans will be the new film on Nureyev "The White Crow" being filmed next year mentioned on another thread here.

He is not playing Nureyev but a dancing friend of Nureyev in this film.

Yes, as discussed upthread also, he is playing Yuri Soloviev—who was himself one of the great male dancers of the 20th century. Soloviev may be reduced to “dancing friend” in the film of course, but he was a very special dancer.

• Like 3

But a somewhat patronising one  - the assumption that people in the movie business don't "understand something about the art of ballet". My experience is that artists in one branch of the performing arts tend to have a considerable knowledge of other branches and in fact  enjoy them whenever they can. Thus one often sees dancers among the audiences at the theatre and vice versa. I guess that at the least the proportion of movie "stars" who are interested in the ballet is probably representative of the population at large.

• Like 1

DrewCo thanks for the name Soloviev ....when I was posting I couldn't think of his name for the life of me!!

Apparently Nureyev admired Soloviev a lot and certainly from YouTube clips he looks like another extraordinary dancer for his time especially. Apparently they were room mates in Paris on the trip when Nureyev defected to the West.

Im sure Polunin will do him justice and hope he has a proper dancing role in the film.

It is very sad that he ended up committing suicide later on and he was fed up with living under the soviet Regime though to,his credit in my view he never joined the communist party though after Nureyev's defection there was a lot of pressure for him to do so though I don't think it affected his dance career in Russia.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LinMM said:

I appreciate people may be enthusiastic fans of Polunin but perhaps not quite SO many piccies/videos on ONE page as I find this page very difficult to access as it constantly has to keep reloading because of all the photo content here etc.!!

I suppose you refer to my post. I'm sorry that you find difficult to consult it, but considering that this topic it's about Sergei Polunin, I think it's normal to post photos and videos about him, regardless of being or not his fans. Also "one page" is the forum structure, if I did several posts, I suppose the problem would remain ...But if you have some suggestions  in this regard, please let me know, so I can correct my post!

This is a communication of the Bayerische Staatsballet a few days ago:

"SERGEI POLUNIN AT THE BAYERISCHES STAATSBALLETT
10/26/2017
Dear fans of the Bayerisches Staatsballett and of Sergei Polunin, 
the talks about the next performances of Sergei Polunin in Munich are still in process. Once dates have been confirmed, we will announce them immediately on all channels, including our homepage, the schedule, our social media channels and our newsletter."

Apparently, the amount of requests for Polunin's presence are making them crazy. It's so nice to see so much enthusiasm for the ballet!

You think?

A lifetime of sacrifices?  Mr. Polunin was 23 when he gave up the rigours and daily grind of ballet by leaving the Royal Ballet.  Maybe I am old, but 23 does not seem like a lifetime to me. 

Renunciation of what, exactly? And for what?  The opportunity to play tail-end Charlie in an ill-judged remake which is nothing more than a star-studded vehicle in which Sergei has a walk-on.  Can one really compare posing in a cloak outside a West End cinema to taking curtain calls at ROH?

Mr. Polunin has made his choice and good luck to him.  But don't lets have any nonsense about sacrifice and renunciation.  The real heroes, for me, are those like Edward Watson who, largely unsung, continue to perfect their art year after year.  They do not seek fame for its own sake and prefer the barre in the rehearsal room to being 'papped' in the street.

• Like 5

Don't get me wrong Lilian88 I'm enjoying your posts!

unfortunately I'm not exactly a whizz with technology but I wonder if posting the links to your piccies and videos if you are going to fo several etc might make the page easier to handle!

just got a bit frustrating when the page kept closing and reloading ...closing and reloading etc etc

Maybe our local wifi exchange  is not as fast as could be!! 

I shall look forward to seeing Polunin as Soloviev in the new film anyway 

3 hours ago, Lilian88 said:
This is a communication of the Bayerische Staatsballet a few days ago:

"SERGEI POLUNIN AT THE BAYERISCHES STAATSBALLETT
10/26/2017
Dear fans of the Bayerisches Staatsballett and of Sergei Polunin, 
the talks about the next performances of Sergei Polunin in Munich are still in process. Once dates have been confirmed, we will announce them immediately on all channels, including our homepage, the schedule, our social media channels and our newsletter."

Apparently, the amount of requests for Polunin's presence are making them crazy. It's so nice to see so much enthusiasm for the ballet!

I do hope you get paid for the amount of work you do, seemingly running this guy's fan club!  I like seeing the pictures, if only to remind myself, as if I needed reminding, how easy it is to be seduced by fame.  However,  I would gently suggest that you don't do Sergei any favours when you bombard a forum dedicated to ballet with pictures of your bloke doing advertising for Japanese department stores and such-like.  Sometimes it is perhaps wiser to be a little more subtle about some of Mr. Polunin's attempts at stardom.

Personally, I prefer watching videos of him on YouTube when he was still an outstanding dancer - back in the time when he went to practice regularly and had the discipline that is an essential component of being on top of the game.

• Like 1

I suspect Lilian88 may be referring back to his childhood. 

I know he is only 23 but I think he has  already made some sacrifices in leaving home country etc to study abroad ( mainly Uk) 

it can't be easy to do this having to learn a whole new language and leave family behind etc.

He is not the only one by any means of course  many dancers have to do this. 

Ed Watson is entirely admirable of course and a great artist in my view but he is from UK so has probably had it marginally easier than dancers like Polunin.

Well, if we are talking about childhood sacrifices, then surely all the more reason to pursue his talent to the highest degree possible?  I only use Ed as an example because he has probably been at RB the longest.  Also, because it is so easy to fall for all the sob stories, and god knows we've had those in spades from Polunin.  I give my respect to those who simply endure the daily grind that is presumably the life of a top ballet Principal.

• Like 1

1.  If people are not interested in Sergei Polunin there is no need to read this thread.

2.  There is no need to quote a post but then not comment on it (I have just hidden one).  

3.  There is no need to quote long posts wholesale - quotes can be edited ... or do not quote unless absolutely necessary.

4.  Please be respectful of other members.

5.  This thread will be closed down if people cannot be civil to each other.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

I do hope you get paid for the amount of work you do, seemingly running this guy's fan club!  I like seeing the pictures, if only to remind myself, as if I needed reminding, how easy it is to be seduced by fame.  However,  I would gently suggest that you don't do Sergei any favours when you bombard a forum dedicated to ballet with pictures of your bloke doing advertising for Japanese department stores and such-like.  Sometimes it is perhaps wiser to be a little more subtle about some of Mr. Polunin's attempts at stardom.

Personally, I prefer watching videos of him on YouTube when he was still an outstanding dancer - back in the time when he went to practice regularly and had the discipline that is an essential component of being on top of the game.

After seeing him since long time ago, I can say now Polunin is a more mature artist . At the time of RB he was oustanding, but now is a very complete ad mature artist. A mention above all  His last Mayerling. Undoubtely the best interpreter of this Mc Millan masterpiece.  About discipline, is clear the he has a lot of it, but differently from other amazing colleagues, he prefers shine for his project and creativity commitment than for a advertised daily routine on social media. He is not a testimonial of any Dance Maison, or a sudent! Discipline is assumed by every dancer, differently they couldn't go on stage! 

Edited by Jacopo De Marinis
spelling mistake

Oh dear, I hope this is not another thread that gets closed down because some of the comments are a little feisty.   Polunin's choices mean he is always going to be a marmite character, with some regretting that he didn't commit to becoming one of the greatest male dancers of his generation, and others adoring him whatever he does.  

1 hour ago, Jacopo De Marinis said:

After seeing him since long time ago, I can say now Polunin is a more mature artist . At the time of RB he was oustanding, but now is a very complete ad mature artist. A mention above all  His last Mayerling. Undoubtely the best interpreter of this Mc Millan masterpiece.  

Wow!  Now there is praise indeed.  Having seen Mayerling many times, I would have loved to have had the chance to see this one, in order to compare with the likes of Cope, Watson and so on.  As a matter of interest, who else have you seen in the role, Jacopo?

Not sure where the lifetime of sacrifices comes into it.  Dancing is a vocation, the budding dancer LOVES what they do.  What people describe as sacrifices, such as not being able to play certain sports, or go out with your mates several evenings every week, they probably think is irrelevant.  People say, "Oh, they lost the chance for a normal life."  But what is a normal life?  

True, he did leave home at an early age, but so do thousands of youngsters, not only in the world of dance, but also music, sport and so on.  They have to, in order to receive the best training.  Having to learn a foreign language is daunting, but countless others have done so.  Viviana Durante and Laura Morera spring to mind.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, LinMM said:

Don't get me wrong Lilian88 I'm enjoying your posts!

unfortunately I'm not exactly a whizz with technology but I wonder if posting the links to your piccies and videos if you are going to fo several etc might make the page easier to handle!

just got a bit frustrating when the page kept closing and reloading ...closing and reloading etc etc

Maybe our local wifi exchange  is not as fast as could be!! 

I shall look forward to seeing Polunin as Soloviev in the new film anyway 

Lin I'm really sorry if I created problems loading the page, actually I basically posted only links because I thought they were lighter than photos, but maybe I do something wrong...
Anyway, I'm very curious about Soloviev's role. A friend sent me a translation of a Russian interview that unfortunately I cannot find anymore where Polunin explained that he was very interested in the figure of Soloviev and in his tragic story and that he considers it his best role.
  • Like 2