Royal Conservatoire Scotland Personal Statement

Pointytoes22

I'm applying for the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland's Modern Ballet course for Sept. 2015 entry. As the application is done through CUKAS, you have to write a 4000 word personal statement :o   

Could those who have applied to RCS/have experience of writing personal statements for dance give any advice on what is important to include?

And is the personal statement really that important for this kind of course where so much is based on talent, physicality etc. at audition? 

Thanks x

Pointytoes22 you may want to speak to the teachers at school that usually advise students applying to uni to give you some pointers. I am of course presuming you are still at school. There may also be advice on the ucas website. I am a teacher and have advised students myself so Please pm me if you need help though I have only advised on academic courses in the past but I am pretty sure its pretty much the same sort of thing.

Dramascientist

The 'count' is 4000 characters including spaces rather than words -that would be a book full!!!! PS are relevant but for music and dance at this level it is the audition that is the most important aspect followed by the PS. Get lots of advice from school and your teacher but make sure it is 'your' voice and passion that is heard through your writing.

Heather

Aka Taxi Mom

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah it was sorry! Yeah it's really nice! So modern and the studios are amazing. We got to sit in on some classes with was really helpful, quite intimidating but really good to see the progression throughout the different years. Yeah I really enjoyed it and will definetly be applying! Have you send away your application yet?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Could other users advise me, I am finding the application a little confusing, you submit the actual application and pay online, but do you post the references and photos directly and where do you find dates of auditions? Someone mentioned that there is an audition taking place in London but I cannot find this online.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hello the way forward,

we have also sent the form off with the application fee,

I spoke to someone from the RC admissions for dance and I was told there will be an audition in London on The 31st January. They took our details but did not yet know where the audition would be held.

There is also a couple of dates for auditions at the RC in Glasgow, I think one date was the 17th January.

We have not yet submitted the photos, my DD did the application, I think that is done separately on line. This is the same for references. All on line by email  but I guess that can be done at a later date as we have not submitted the references yet.

We wanted to go the Glasgow but don't think we can fit it in so hoping to do the preliminary audition in London.

Hope this helps.

The process for being informed is different for RCS as it is a conservatoire and part of the CUKAS.  When you apply it is through an online system that you log in to and all of your information such as qualifications (academic and vocational), personal statement, referee info (actual references can be sent by email or posted from your chosen referees) is entered online.  When you are offered an audition you receive an email from the school but all information relating to the audition is on your online account and you need to log in to get that information.  This also applies to how you are informed about the results of your preliminary audition, ie if you are not offered finals, you will get an email advising you that your CUKAS account has been updated and you have to log in to your account and check to see what the status is of your application.  You will then see the 'result' next to your DD's name, ie Unsuccessful, Conditional Offer, Successful etc.  Our experience is that do not get an email from the school.  Our result came through on CUKAS 4 days after the audition.  I hope this is helpful to those who are considering applying or waiting for replies.

• Like 3

I was also wondering if anyone has heard from rcs as they did say they would try get results out before Christmas, although tbh we knew we wouldn't hear till after. we're all anxious to find out x

Hi Twiggy, did your DC audition on 13th? Have you logged into your CUKAS online application to see the result? We got ours 4 days after the audition.
  • Like 1

Hi Twiggy, did your DC audition on 13th? Have you logged into your CUKAS online application to see the result? We got ours 4 days after the audition.

She did, she has been on cukas track regularly but there is no change, her friend has not hear anything either

Hi interested parent, we're in the same boat as Twiggy, DD auditioned on the 13th, we've heard nothing and the status on CUKAS hasn't changed from the awaiting audition status. As this was a preliminary audition we were expecting contact directly from the school if successful as there isn't an option on CUKAS for final auditions, the options are more relevant for post final audition except if it's a no that is. We've emailed several times and they're not back until Tuesday 6th so we'll have to wait like everyone else, fingers crossed for all.

• Like 1

I have my fingers crossed for all of us! I don't understand how my DD is so calm and patient i just want to know hahah! If I have not heard by the first few weeks in January I may phone them.

May I ask interestedparent was your daughter offered a recall.

We have also just put in RCS application for my dd and would be great to hear any observations about the audition anyone willing to share...was there an interview as well?

All good luck to those anxiously waiting for outcomes! I am also waiting on university offers for my older dd as well as doing the ballet round for younger dd so appreciate how nail biting it is.

hi,

my daughter loved the audition, she had been there in the summer and was completely besotted so felt very comfortable going in. there were two girls from the school there ( a first year and a 3rd year) to help with the class. She had met one of them before so they had the chance catch up. These girls helped throughout the audition. the class was simple and of an easy level according to my daughter as the wanted to see clean technique but everyone came out exhausted! there was barre and stretch at barre, adage, flexibility and grand allegro also pointe. there were fifteen at the audition on boy, 14 girls. everyone was very friendly. afterward there was a talk from ms livingstone and a sort of Q&A. we were told the results would be out before xmas if possible but have not yet heard. overall my dd said that even if she didn't get in she would not be as disappointed as she may be as she loved her time there and really tried as hard as she could.

the finals were described to us and sound much much harder! it is all day with contemporary and possibly some sort of choreo aspect. there will also be a interview and physio. no interview for the prelim. a good mix of vocational students, associates and local dancers.

• Like 1

Thanks twiggy that is really helpful, not least as I had not taken in that it is a two stage audition process. All sounds very friendly and accomodating as well as relatively small group. I hope there is a london audition though which would help keep the costs down for us.

Hope you hear soon.