Apart from the La Sylphide recently mentioned there has been added to the Coliseum dance calendar the following:

(1) 10th Anniversary programme for the Russian Icons Gala - 8th March 2015

(2) Birmingham Royal Ballet in Carmina Burana and Serenade, March 2015

(3) Irina Kolesnikova and St. Petersburg Ballet Theatre, Swan Lake / La Bayadere, August 2015

Perhaps given that - as we have been told by a BcoF poster - the Hochhausers are not next year to bring over one of the two major Russian ballet companies, the St. Petersburg Ballet Theatre - who regularly tour regionally throughout the UK - felt brave enough to cover the vast expense of the London venue's hire knowing of the local audience's passion for all things balletically Russian when at the ROH during summer sojourns.  I pray their investment proves to be a prudent one and not ruinous.  Odds are I fear not particularly stacked in their favour in terms of a commercial return given the capacities rendered by the Russian Seasons programmes during Summer 2014 and knowing that their presentation of Swan Lake with noted principals from the Mikhailovsky Ballet was ultimately cancelled due to lack of advance sales.  

Sadly the balcony is currently closed from sales for ALL of these presentations.  

Source  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:(

knowing that their presentation of Swan Lake with noted principals from the Mikhailovsky Ballet was ultimately cancelled due to lack of advance sales.  

Do you?  I was specifically told that wasn't the reason.

I was under the impression that the Kirov will be going to the Coliseum immediately before StPBT.

Just wondering what your source was for that, 'MAB'?  I would have thought it somewhat unusual for the Mariinsky to appear in London two years in a row .... they are such a big company .... and with the enormous costs and all .... but still ... 

That said, I'm sure their season at the ROH this summer at least broke even ... Surely it must have ... I only ever saw seats for the first MSND .... and then just a few of the day seats.... (That said I, myself, was never downstairs ... so I only ever saw the spaces in the Amphi). 

Edited by Bruce Wall

Apart from the La Sylphide recently mentioned there has been added to the Coliseum dance calendar the following:

(1) 10th Anniversary programme for the Russian Icons Gala - 8th March 2015

(3) Irina Kolesnikova and St. Petersburg Ballet Theatre, Swan Lake / La Bayadere, August 2015

Sadly the balcony is currently closed from sales for ALL of these presentations.  

Source  

I checked online and saw that tickets are on sale for the Russian Icons Gala - 8th March 2015.
The Balcony is always sold well for these galas. Edited for layout.
Edited by Amelia

I love Serenade and the first time that I saw it it was danced by BRB at the Coliseum.

So do I.  Unfortunately, I loathe Carmina Burana.

OTOH, that's probably a good thing, actually.  Given that if they close the Balcony again I shan't be able to afford to sit anywhere anyway.

Just for reference, I was told that was the reason by one of the Coliseum's in-house staff.  Would love to hear what you heard, Alison.  

As I said, that it wasn't.  Obviously from a different member of staff :)

I checked online and saw that tickets are on sale for the Russian Icons Gala - 8th March 2015.
The Balcony is always sold well for these galas. Edited for layout.

You're right .... I thought the balcony had been grayed out .... I did look first ... Promise.  I was wrong.  Mea culpa :) 

So pleased to have Irina Kolesnikova coming back to the UK.

I agree. Not seen her since 2009!That was a sell out at the Coliseum but also a one night only. As I recall, this time she is doing four shows. I will be interested to see who she 'invites' to dance with her. I would love to see her dance with a truly worthy partner. 

• Like 1

I will be interested to see who she 'invites' to dance with her. I would love to see her dance with a truly worthy partner. 

Of course Irina Kolesnikova was scheduled to dance in Paris with Vadim Muntagirov last February but she was unable to appear then. Maybe, just maybe, that partnership will be realised at the Coli next summer.

• 4 months later...

Of course Irina Kolesnikova was scheduled to dance in Paris with Vadim Muntagirov last February but she was unable to appear then. Maybe, just maybe, that partnership will be realised at the Coli next summer.

Yup. Or scheduled to be, anyway. For the Swan Lakes. No partner is mentioned for La Bayadère. Swan Lake, 20th and 21st August; Bayadère 22nd and 23rd. Only one performance per day: presumably not even Ms Kolesnikova can manage to dance Odette/Odile twice in one day. Tickets £85-£25, it says on the flyer.

Just a nod .... At last night's LBC meeting with Ivan Vasiliev, the dancer himself said he would be appearing in a programme in London for one night only on 17th July.  I assumed this was to be at the Coliseum although that wasn't I think entirely specified.  (The host was rather inexperienced and did not pick up on many of the key points of emphasis which left some in the large audience rather wanting I fear.)  Vasiliev said he would be dancing the Pita piece from Solo for Two ... and also said something else but, sadly, given the unfortunate state of the sound system - which led to much gleeful animation from Mr. Vasiliev himself - I sadly couldn't make it out. 

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 2 months later...

The balcony appears to have been opened for the first night of BRB's Serenade/Carmina Burana.  Just a shame about the prices, which work out at about £1 a minute for Serenade, I reckon.

Oddly enough, though, there is a "children go free" offer for the first couple of nights.  Er, this is CARMINA BURANA.  Hardly child-friendly fare, surely?

I have long been a supporter of the company that is now BRB ... and I would love to see them in Serenade a couple of times but, I'm sorry, £22.50 for a restricted seat in the balcony of the Coliseum - that being the cheapest fare -  I fear has just restricted my attendance to nulla.   Those same seats cost £14 for ENB and ENB has less subsidy - and this past season those were raised from £10.  I don't entirely know who BRB think they are appealing to here .... certainly on this occason ... but it certainly isn't going to be me at that rate.  It breaks my heart.  I'll have to settle for my Swan Lake standing at £6.  That I can handle.  I pray BRB have a better deal for the good people of Birminham - or perhaps they are just a very wealthy set there..  I, myself, will very much look forward to the return of ENB to that address and to seeing NYCB at the Chatelet where you can sit in an equivalent (or better) seat for eight Euros.   Even the relatively over-priced Russian Icons gala had a lowest ceiling at £13.  The pricing I think in this instance can speak for itself.  

As I have just been booking Autumn season tickets for BRB and NB I can say that I have been truly shocked at the increased ticket prices in all theatres!!! Birmingham prices are less than those at the Coli and even more rasonae if you buy a subscription.

Well, if the Coli prices have shot up above Hippodrome prices (at the bottom end) that's truly shocking.  I shall just have to hope Sadler's Wells doesn't follow suit - the £2 increase for ENB was painful enough.

I have long been a supporter of the company that is now BRB ... and I would love to see them in Serenade a couple of times but, I'm sorry, £22.50 for a restricted seat in the balcony of the Coliseum - that being the cheapest fare -  I fear has just restricted my attendance to nulla.   Those same seats cost £14 for ENB and ENB has less subsidy - and this past season those were raised from £10.  I don't entirely know who BRB think they are appealing to here .... certainly on this occason ... but it certainly isn't going to be me at that rate.  It breaks my heart.

Mine too :( I love Serenade.

I read somewhere recently (I think that it was Graham Watts' interview with David Bintley - which makes interesting reading) that there is some doubt about whether the Coliseum will be available to BRB in the future, presumably because of all the uncertainty about the future of ENO and, by extension, the Coliseum. I sometimes wonder whether visiting companies think that all Londoners are loaded. There are obviously many wealthy people in London but a lot of them will rarely, if ever, go and see a ballet and, if they do, they are rather more likely to want an evening out at the ROH than the Coliseum or Sadler's Wells, neither of which can match the ROH for glamour and a sense of occasion. Conversely, many people who are keen to watch ballet, opera, plays etc are on a tight budget. I wonder why the lowest prices for this performance are so high. Has ENO put its rates up or is BRB hoping that its London performances will subsidise its performances elsewhere?

They were selling some side stall seats for £17.50 for BRB, which is what I ended up going for with the closed balcony. Probably restricted by some scenery, since the seats are normally sold at full price.

Could only afford one Sylphide with QBs astronomical prices, and might have to pass on the rest of the Coli offerings unless they open the [self-censored] balcony.

But even if they do, I'm feeling somewhat put off by being penalised for booking early. Companies visiting London should probably remember that there are millions of other things to do, so releasing tickets a few days before the show just means a chunk of their potential non-premium seat audience is already booked up on affordable performances elsewhere. Or maybe that's just me...

• Like 2

They were selling some side stall seats for £17.50 for BRB, which is what I ended up going for with the closed balcony. Probably restricted by some scenery, since the seats are normally sold at full price.

Damn. I wish I'd known that. I probably didn't even bother looking at the stalls, given how pricey they usually are. But I didn't think there was much in the way of scenery for Carmina? There certainly isn't for Serenade.

Damn. I wish I'd known that. I probably didn't even bother looking at the stalls, given how pricey they usually are. But I didn't think there was much in the way of scenery for Carmina? There certainly isn't for Serenade.

There is one substantial piece of scenery at the back for Carmina in the final moments (the big flashing thing) otherwise IIRC not too much.

Regarding SPBT, I knew Vadim Muntagirov was dancing Swan Lake, but really pleased to hear Denis Rodkin will dance in La Bayadere. The first night of Swan Lake is being filmed. I expect now that I have booked the Upper Circle they will open up the Balcony!

They used to visit Brighton Dome at Christmas and were very popular, their style is similar to the Mariinsky, many of the dancers were trained at the Vaganova School. I have seen Swan Lake which is very traditional and I believe has the Ivanov 4th act, Brighton was promised La Bayadere but never got it as they said the stage was too small, probably true, I imagine the production will also be traditional and based on the Mariinsky's, sure to have their own orchestra, especially at the Coliseum. Definitely one of the better touring Russian companies, at least they were a few years ago.

• Like 2