Housework hates!

Fiz

Dance mums, I know many of us work, or don't work and function as taxis for our dear DDs/DS's. What is your pet housework hate? Mine is ironing. It takes ages and it rarely looks as well ironed as I would like to, not to speak of having to put it all away afterwards! If you vacuum, or clean the sinks, as least there's a visible result! I decided I would listen to CDs of musicals in future while I did it. I listened to the "Chicago" soundtrack today and danced like a demented fury while it was on. I hope I've lost some weight during the one and half hours it took!

• Like 2

All of it - but particularly ironing - only because I leave it and then there's too much!! And it's not like I iron things that some people do - I stick to shirts, crumpled t-shirts etc. And it's so frustrating that the house just can't stay looking nice for more than a couple of hours.....

• Like 2

I have just spent several very hot minutes scrubbing out the utility room where the dogs sleep as our poor black labrador Amy is is being neutered on Tuesday. I've disinfected it and will re-do it on Tuesday before she comes home :(

Eww, Gingerbread! I was doing yet more ironing (world without end!) and listening to "A Chorus Line". If you don't know the story, it is about all the "gypsies" who audition for dance parts in musicals. They tell their stories and this composes most of the musical. I was thinking, we send our children to dance classes either for fun or exercise, and maybe hope that they will be a future star. My daughters were both in the national tour (although only in one part) or Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. On the Saturday night, I saw all the very good dancers packing up and calling, "See you on Monday in Norwich". It was pandemonium, and they were running hell for leather for the train. Would we still do it if we knew our beloved DK's would end up in cold and damp rooms , with sporadic meals and crummy dressing rooms? The musical really brought this home to me.

Fiz, I know what you mean. But my DD would do what you describe - she would love to be a ballerina of course, but if it was a choice between a "normal" job and a "see you in Norwich" damp dressing room, sporadic meals job, she would take the latter every time. (Unfortunately)!

• Like 1

I was staying in a guesthouse in Norwich once (the Earlham Road, I guess) and met a member of Kentish Opera (or Kent Opera, whichever one it was) who was using it as digs for the week. Not too bad for those days, but less than ideal. I seem to remember that the landlady at least left some bread, cheese and cold meats out for the performers post-show (although I may be confusing 2 different guesthouses now). Unfortunately, I didn't manage to be there when London Festival Ballet were on tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this comes under the housework umbrella, but one thing I find really tiresome is getting DD to do her homework.

We never really have enough time to spend on it, and the school seems to take a perverse delight in giving her the most homework on the days she has the least amount of room in her schedule....grrr!

• Like 1

I have cleaned the house from top to bottom over the last few weeks. The only thing I haven't done is the loft hatch lid, because I can't reach and my husband can jolly well sweep and wash the kitchen floors as I do everything else!

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a new iron last week and wow! It did the ironing in half the usual time! I am in love with it! It is a Russell Hobbs from Tesco and cost me £21.95. I did see an iron on Amazon going for well over £200 - I'd expect it to iron for me and put it away after at that price!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

:::warbles, "Victory, victory!" After about 6 attempts by my husband and mainly me, our Aga is finally clean! I couldn't do it last year as it never went off and it was in an appalling state. At last , at 15.35 we finished and it is now ready to be relit, probably next week given how cold it was this morning! Victory, victory :::fades into the distance::;

I am happy to announce that, due to the weather not being quite so good in my last week off work, I have finally got to the bottom of my ironing pile while watching various TV programmes. I now want to buy a house to do up and sell thanks to 'Homes Under the Hammer' and am annoyed that I have no long lost family members to leave me money thanks to 'Heir Hunters'.

• Like 2

I am happy to announce that, due to the weather not being quite so good in my last week off work, I have finally got to the bottom of my ironing pile while watching various TV programmes. I now want to buy a house to do up and sell thanks to 'Homes Under the Hammer' and am annoyed that I have no long lost family members to leave me money thanks to 'Heir Hunters'.

You should have been watching Cash in the Attic - mind you, clearing out the attic is yet another chore!