Quick reminder re: changes in Vaccination Schedules (Meningitis C) for 16-18yos

Katymac

From this year Men C has a booster 13-14 & a catch up programme for 18yos going to college

But if your DC is 16 or 17 and going away to college they should probably have it too (at least they should if you do the whole vaccination thing - I know some people chose not to).

Men C is (apparently) rife in halls of residences and unis - so no reason why dance colleges should be any different

I just thought I'd mention it - I have also posted it on NaPM too, as they have a section for college

• Like 2

Seriously, I would advise all parents to make sure all their vocational dcs have their vaccinations are up to date. Measles, mumps and flu were rife at both my daughter's universities because so many parents either chose not to vaccinate at all or had not kept their vaccinations current.

• Like 1

My son has had two episodes of bacterial meningitis. Suffered a stroke as a consequence of his brain swelling and now has several disabilities. Everybody should vaccinate against men C. People still dont believe it can happen to them until its too late.

Primrose - I'm a great believer in herd immunity and vaccinations; for me the risks are to scary.

It is a horrid illness and like measles the outcomes can be devastating. I'm glad they have realised there is a flaw in the urrent system and are brave enough to change it.

Primrose, I'm so sorry. I think that meningitis is one of the top 'parents worst nightmares' ...my elder sister (many years ago and very young) died from complications...And very recently a school friend of my son (16) also lost his life....Tragic...

My non dancing DS is due to start uni in September and last week I was trying to remember which vaccines he was due. He definitely had 'Hib' (men B ?) but need to check about the C....Off to the health centre tommorrow....

Thanks for the info Katymac. 

xx

I just rang my surgery and they said they're not doing a catch up session for any vaccinations for new university students.  I've told my son to go in and get a print out of his vaccinations (he needs it anyway for the course he's doing) so I'll see if he's missing anything!

• Like 2

Apparently it should have been in everyone's UCAS pack so if they have applied for degrees 'normally' they will have been told.

But lots of dancers go away at 16/17 so they will slip through the net as will 18yos that apply for just diplomas

This is so important, and something I've just become aware of since a young local lad (18) died from this at the end of July - taken ill very suddenly at a festival but tragically it was too late to save him. 

Neither our local GP nor the GP practice in London knew about the catch up programme, which advises all students starting university or equivalent to have Men C booster at least 2 weeks before the beginning of term. My 17 year old dd had only had 1 jab at 3 years old and nothing since, so didn't have enough immunity left. This was what they did at the time, though the schedule has changed since then and now kids will be given Men C at school when they're around 14.

Our GP wouldn't give the jab to dd at home as she is registered in London; London GP eventually agreed after a lot of hassle, but we decided in the end to have it done at a local private clinic as it was quicker and easier. It cost £45.

That is interesting Katymac because ds did apply normally for uni this time and of the hundreds of bits of paper he has had from UCAS not one mention of men c booster. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

• Like 2

I have just reminded people I know on Facebook,as a few of my friends children are heading off to Uni next month. I vaguely remember my son having it when he was little. It took a fair bit of persuasion from the GP as there was a scare about the vaccine being linked to Autism at the time,and parents in their droves were opting out of taking it. So he had it,but I remember being frightened to death afterwards.