Turnboards

swanprincess

Hi swanprincess.

My daughters have had one for a while now and I would say that they do help to a certain extent. They are great for giving you the confidence to turn and both of my daughters pirouettes have improved since owning one.

I got my DD one for last Christmas as she was desperate for it! She was 12 going on 13 & loves stuff like dance moms!!

It definitely helped her turns/pirouettes and I would say she now has the best of her age in class (and in competitions they are always specially mentioned by the adjudicator) but it's also a short lived thing... Now she's so good without it she hardly uses it, just for fun with her non dancing sister or when friends come over.

Was it worth the money...? For my DD yes, but being older you might not get such benefit from it? Maybe there's someone more your age that has used one & can offer advice...

I asked a couple of questions about turnboards here: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/7632-midas-workshop/

I think it depends what you want help with. If you need help with spotting, arm positioning, or "non-supporting leg" positioning then I expect turnboards can be very helpful.

However I have my suspicions that they were initially designed for ice skaters in that you turn with a flat foot, with your supporting leg in parallel - neither of which you do in Ballet. Hence my questions in the other thread.

I have found my students who have them have got into some bad habits quickly.. Slipping supporting foot on start of turn, not turning on full 3/4 point, poor classical position to name a few. But does help with the spin sensation. I agree depends what it is being used to help.

• Like 1

I haven't seen these turnboards used in classical ballet, a pair of turnout discs (or turndiscs) are more common. I have a pair and I know RBS associates use them too. The discs work singly for pirouettes too.  Ballet teacher has posted a good video on the thread Free resources .....  It is post no 10 at around 9.40 mins.  

• Like 1