Looking for a dance school in North London/Watford/Herts

Ilma

• 2 months later...

Hi- Can we help? I noticed that what you are looking for we may have to offer. I am working at Watford Dance Company (a new school that has opened in the past couple of weeks) the guy who has opened it (Andrew Wragg) is a professional dancer who grew up in the North of England where Dance competitions are very popular with a high level of ballet skills and acrobatic elements.

These competitions run all over the North and South of England but are far more recognised in the North.

These competitions are not anything like disco championships and high levels of technique are needed, and that is where a competitive school is different because the focus is on technique, style and performance.

This is massively helpful for children training in this way as they are at a huge advantage going off to stage schools to start their careers with a lot of performance technique under their belts and they are confident to boot.
If you look at some of the West End's finest performers and dance companies like Rombert and Matthew Bourne , and also ballet companies like the Royal and ENB you will find that a high level of them will have participated in these very same dance competitions.
Before training professionally in London, Andrew won countless competitions in Ballet, Tap, Modern, Acrobatics, Song and Dance, National and Lyrical. He holds the title of Dance Master UK 2007, 4 counties Modern and Tap Champion and also all England Tap Champion.

To sum up, we are a new dance school opened in Watford and will be entering our students into dance competitions like the kind you are looking for.

it does take up a lot of the child's free time but will set them on the right path to becoming a professional.
if you are interested please get in touch!
Kind Regards
Watford Dance Company
admin@watforddancecompany.com
Edited by watforddancecompany

• 4 months later...

thank you will do !

Hello Louise and welcome to the Forum.  I am sure some of our other members will be able to chip in with advice.

Please let us know how you get on.

Welcome Louise.

I don't think your title of just "Doing dance" will help you with getting responses so I'm just about to change it.   :)

Hi Louise, I can't help with your query as I don't live in that area, but it might help other forum members to suggest different schools if you let us know your dd's age and the level/number of classes she does at the moment.

Edited for typo

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 1

Hi Louise, I can't help with your query as I don't live in that area, but it might help other forum members to suggest different schools if you let us know your dd's age and the level/number of classes she does at the moment.

Edited for typo

Well she is a tween and used to dance and want to start again, she has never done acro but has done gymnastics and was grade 4 ballet,tap and modern xxx

Hi all,

I was wondering if any one could help me find a dance school in the watford area that does acro. My DD wants to improve a large amount and go to a dance school that is just more than a 45 minute lesson a week (more than one lesson a week) as she has been doing that since she was 3. If any one could lease help that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks xxx :)

Hi Louise,

Welcome to Balletcoforum - it's lovely here :)

But you will find that people reply over several days, rather than immediately (like some other forums).  I think mums are often out ferrying their children about to class or shows and at this time of year they might be on holiday.

I imagine you will get lots of replies, but it might take a few days or so - good luck!

Have fun reading some of the threads - I started being a dancing mum a couple of years ago & I have learnt so much on here. :)

• Like 2

Hi Louise,

Welcome to Balletcoforum - it's lovely here :)

But you will find that people reply over several days, rather than immediately (like some other forums).  I think mums are often out ferrying their children about to class or shows and at this time of year they might be on holiday.

I imagine you will get lots of replies, but it might take a few days or so - good luck!

Have fun reading some of the threads - I started being a dancing mum a couple of years ago & I have learnt so much on here. :)

I'm sure I will learn a lot too ! Thanks  :) xxx

Hi , my dd trained in Rhythmic gymnastics from the age of 6-13 and competed at a high level, was british champion and a member of team GB aged 11! She trained for 20 hours a week this included ballet, as RG ( routines using ribbon, clubs, ropes etc) is closer to ballet than artitistic gymnastics ( beam, asymmetric bars etc) so the transition from this style of gymnastics should be easier as they both complement each other.

Dd stopped RG at 13 to focus on dance and although she found some habits from RG needed to be corrected the strength,flexibility and discipline the sport teaches has only enhanced her dance career. Dd is now a professional dancer!

I don't think freestyle/disco is the style you are looking for. The dancers mentioned above will be trained in ballet, jazz, contemporary and acro. There are UK schools that are teaching these styles to a high level. Iima I will pm you with some suggestions. My dance school isn't based in London otherwise you would be more than welcome to bring your DD's to me! :).

Hi,

Sorry I know this wasn't directed at me but I was wondering if you could tell me what your dance school is as it sounds like something my dd is looking for! Sorry again.

Many thanks xxxx

Hello Louise,

I have merged your latest post into the existing thread.  Swan Princess' suggestion is excellent.

I just had a look at Yell.com and came up with this page full of schools in North London:

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?keywords=dance+school&location=north+london&scrambleSeed=1800628148&autocomplete=lo

You could try cross-referencing them with any teachers you find as SP suggested.

It may well be that our members are not familiar with the area you are looking for and can only give general advice on looking for a school.  Additionally it is holiday time so some of our members may be away or ferrying children to summer schools until the start of next month.

• Like 1

Yes, don't forget our members come from all over the UK (and in fact all over the world in some cases!). Summer is a reasonably quiet time here on the forum too so it's best to start doing your own research in the meantime. :-)

Here is a link to the RAD "Find a teacher" function. In some cases only the teacher's home address is given so you may have to do some cross-referencing on Google to find out if they teach near you or live nearby but teach elsewhere: http://www.rad.org.uk/learn-to-dance/find-an-rad-teacher

• Like 1

Yes

Yes, don't forget our members come from all over the UK (and in fact all over the world in some cases!). Summer is a reasonably quiet time here on the forum too so it's best to start doing your own research in the meantime. :-)

Here is a link to the RAD "Find a teacher" function. In some cases only the teacher's home address is given so you may have to do some cross-referencing on Google to find out if they teach near you or live nearby but teach elsewhere: http://www.rad.org.uk/learn-to-dance/find-an-rad-teacher

Hello Louise,

I have merged your latest post into the existing thread.  Swan Princess' suggestion is excellent.

I just had a look at Yell.com and came up with this page full of schools in North London: yes thanks !

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?keywords=dance+school&location=north+london&scrambleSeed=1800628148&autocomplete=lo

You could try cross-referencing them with any teachers you find as SP suggested.

It may well be that our members are not familiar with the area you are looking for and can only give general advice on looking for a school.  Additionally it is holiday time so some of our members may be away or ferrying children to summer schools until the start of next month.

• 2 months later...