English National Ballet 2014-15 season programme

Principal Casting Autumn 2014 UK Tour and Nutcracker

Principal casting for English National Ballet’s Autumn UK tour and Nutcracker is today announced.

Joining English National Ballet from Boston Ballet, Alejandro Virelles makes his debut as Principal with the Company, performing the role of Prince Siegfried alongside Alina Cojocaru’s Odette/Odile in Derek Deane’s Swan Lake.

Arguably one of the most popular ballets created, Swan Lake tells the story of Prince Siegfried’s love for the Swan Queen, Odette, and their battle against the evil magician, Rothbart. Deane’s traditional production tours to Manchester (8-11 Oct), Milton Keynes (11-15 Nov), Liverpool (18-22 Nov) and the London Coliseum (11 Dec-4 Jan).

Swan Lake also sees lead roles from Ksenia Ovsyanick, who was recently promoted to Soloist and makes her debut as Odette/Odile, and Zdenek Konvalina; Tamara Rojo and the winner of Emerging Dancer 2014 Junor Souza; Fernanda Oliveira and Dmitri Gruzdyev; and Shiori Kase, who was promoted to First Soloist and makes her debut as Odette/Odile, with Yonah Acosta, who was promoted to Principal.

After a critically acclaimed run at the London Coliseum in July this year, Coppélia begins a UK tour to Southampton (15-18 Oct), Oxford (28 Oct-1 Nov) and Bristol (4-8 Nov). Following their debut performance in the lead roles of Franz and Swanilda, Yonah Acosta performs alongside Shiori Kase on tour. Other lead roles in Coppélia include Junor Souza and Lauretta Summerscales; Tamara Rojo and Alejandro Virelles; Erina Takahashi and Fernando Bufalá; and Fernanda Oliveira and Zdenek Konvalina.

Coppélia is the comic tale of an eccentric toymaker and his mechanical doll. Dr Coppélius, the toymaker, creates a lifelike Coppélia doll and wishes to bring her to life. English National Ballet's production is choreographed by Ronald Hynd. Léo Delibes' score is played by English National Ballet's full orchestra.

Nutcracker returns to the London Coliseum this Christmas from Thursday 11 December 2014 - Sunday 4 January 2015. First performed in 2010 to celebrate English National Ballet’s 60th anniversary, Wayne Eagling’s version has since been seen by over 300,000 people.

Making her debut appearance as Clara in this version of Nutcracker is Katja Khaniukova who performs alongside Ken Saruhashi’s debut as the Prince and Daniele Silingardi’s debut as the Nutcracker. Other lead Principals for Nutcracker include Alina Cojocaru, Alejandro Virelles and Junor Souza; Laurretta Summerscales with identical twins Guilherme Menezes and Vitor Menezes, both making their debuts as the Prince and Nutcracker; and Tamara Rojo, Junor Souza and Max Westwell, who makes his debut as the Prince in this production. 

This is English National Ballet’s 11th production of Nutcracker since it performed its first full length Nutcracker in 1950, its founding year. Since then, English National Ballet has established the tradition of performing Nutcracker at Christmas every year.

Casting for Swan Lake at the London Coliseum will be announced shortly.

Principal casting in detail

Casting is subject to change. Please see www.ballet.org.uk for more details.

Swan Lake (in the order of Odette/Odile and Prince Siegfried)

Palace Theatre, Manchester

Wednesday 8 - Saturday 11 October 2014

0844 871 3019 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake

Wednesday 8 October - Alina Cojocaru and Alejandro Virelles

Thursday 9 October (mat) - Fernanda Oliveira and Dmitri Gruzdyev

Thursday 9 October (eve) – Erina Takahashi and Zdenek Konvalina

Friday 10 October – Tamara Rojo and Junor Souza

Saturday 11 October (mat) - Erina Takahashi and Zdenek Konvalina

Saturday 11 October (eve) - Laurretta Summerscales and Alejandro Virelles

Milton Keynes Theatre

Tuesday 11 - Saturday 15 November 2014

0844 871 7652 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake

Tuesday 11 November - Alina Cojocaru and Alejandro Virelles

Wednesday 12 November - Fernanda Oliveira and Dmitri Gruzdyev

Thursday 13 November (mat) – Begoña Cao and Junor Souza

Thursday 13 November (eve) - Erina Takahashi and Zdenek Konvalina

Friday 14 November - Fernanda Oliveira and Dmitri Gruzdyev

Saturday 15 November (mat) - Alina Cojocaru and Alejandro Virelles

Saturday 15 November (eve) – Tamara Rojo and Junor Souza

Liverpool Empire

Tuesday 18 - Saturday 22 November 2014

0844 871 3017 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake

Tuesday 18 November - Alina Cojocaru and Alejandro Virelles

Wednesday 19 November – Tamara Rojo and Junor Souza

Thursday 20 November (mat) – Ksenia Ovsyanick and Zdenek Konvalina

Thursday 20 November (eve) - Elena Glurdjidze and Arionel Vargas

Friday 21 November – Tamara Rojo and Junor Souza

Saturday 22 November (mat) – Shiori Kase and Yonah Acosta

Saturday 22 November (eve) – Laurretta Summerscales and Alejandro Virelles

London Coliseum

Wednesday 7 - Sunday 18 January 2015

020 7845 9300 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake

Principal casting to be announced shortly

Coppélia (in the order of Swanilda and Franz)

The Mayflower Theatre, Southampton

Wednesday 15 – Saturday 18 October 2014

023 8071 1811 or www.ballet.org.uk/coppelia

Wednesday 15 October – Shiori Kase and Yonah Acosta

Thursday 16 October (mat) - Fernanda Oliveira and Dmitri Gruzdyev

Thursday 16 October (eve) – Erina Takahashi and Fernando Bufalá

Friday 17 October – Tamara Rojo and Alejandro Virelles

Saturday 18 October (mat) – Shiori Kase and Yonah Acosta

Saturday 18 October (eve) - Erina Takahashi and Fernando Bufalá

New Oxford Theatre

Tuesday 28 October – Saturday 1 November 2014

0844 871 3020 or www.ballet.org.uk/coppelia

Tuesday 28 October – Tamara Rojo and Yonah Acosta

Wednesday 29 October - Fernanda Oliveira and Dmitri Gruzdyev

Thursday 30 October (mat) – Elena Glurdjidze and Arionel Vargas

Thursday 30 October (eve) - Erina Takahashi and Fernando Bufalá

Friday 31 October – Laurretta Summerscales and Alejandro Virelles

Saturday 1 November (mat) - Fernanda Oliveira and Zdenek Konvalina

Saturday 1 November (eve) – Shiori Kase and Yonah Acosta

Bristol Hippodrome

Tuesday 4 November – Saturday 8 November 2014

0844 871 3012 or www.ballet.org.uk/coppelia

Tuesday 4 November – Shiori Kase and Yonah Acosta

Wednesday 5 November - Erina Takahashi and Fernando Bufalá

Thursday 6 November (mat) – Laurretta Summerscales and Junor Souza

Thursday 6 November (eve) – Shiori Kase and Yonah Acosta

Friday 7 November - Elena Glurdjidze and Arionel Vargas

Saturday 8 November (mat) – Tamara Rojo and Yonah Acosta

Saturday 8 November (eve) – Laurretta Summerscales and Junor Souza

Nutcracker (in the order of Clara, Prince and Nutcracker)

London Coliseum

Thursday 11 December 2014 – Sunday 4 January 2015 

020 7845 9300 or www.ballet.org.uk/nutcracker

Thursday 11 December (press night) – Alina Cojocaru, Alejandro Virelles and Junor Souza

Friday 12 December (mat) - Begoña Cao, James Forbat and Ken Saruhashi

Friday 12 December (eve) - Erina Takahashi, Zdenek Konvalina and Fabian Reimair

Saturday 13 December (mat) - Fernanda Oliveira, Dmitri Gruzdyev and James Forbat

Saturday 13 December (eve) – Tamara Rojo, Junor Souza and Max Westwell

Sunday 14 December (mat) - Elena Glurdjidze, Arionel Vargas and Nathan Young

Tuesday 16 December (mat) - Fernanda Oliveira, Dmitri Gruzdyev and James Forbat

Tuesday 16 December (eve) - Tamara Rojo, Junor Souza and Max Westwell

Wednesday 17 December (mat) - Elena Glurdjidze, Arionel Vargas and Nathan Young

Wednesday 17 December (eve) - Erina Takahashi, Zdenek Konvalina and Fabian Reimair

Thursday 18 December (mat) - Begoña Cao, James Forbat and Ken Saruhashi

Thursday 18 December (eve) - Alina Cojocaru, Alejandro Virelles and Junor Souza

Friday 19 December (mat) - Fernanda Oliveira, Dmitri Gruzdyev and James Forbat

Friday 19 December (eve) - Alina Cojocaru, Alejandro Virelles and Junor Souza

Saturday 20 December (mat) - Shiori Kase, Yonah Acosta and Fernando Bufalá

Saturday 20 December (eve) - Erina Takahashi, Zdenek Konvalina and Fabian Reimair

Monday 22 December (mat) - Begoña Cao, James Forbat and Ken Saruhashi

Monday 22 December (eve) - Erina Takahashi, Zdenek Konvalina and Fabian Reimair

Tuesday 23 December (mat) – Laurretta Summerscales, Guilherme Menezes, Vitor Menezes

Tuesday 23 December (eve) - Tamara Rojo, Junor Souza and Max Westwell

Wednesday 24 December (mat) - Elena Glurdjidze, Arionel Vargas and Nathan Young

Friday 26 December (mat) - Katja Khaniukova, Ken Saruhashi and Daniele Silingardi

Friday 26 December (eve) – Laurretta Summerscales, James Forbat and Max Westwell

Saturday 27 December (mat) - Shiori Kase, Yonah Acosta and Fernando Bufalá

Saturday 27 December (eve) - Fernanda Oliveira, Dmitri Gruzdyev and James Forbat

Sunday 28 December (mat) - Alina Cojocaru, Alejandro Virelles and Junor Souza

Monday 29 December (mat) - Ksenia Ovsyanick, Max Westwell and Fabian Reimair

Monday 29 December (eve) - Shiori Kase, Yonah Acosta and Fernando Bufalá

Tuesday 30 December (mat) - Katja Khaniukova Ken Saruhashi and Daniele Silingardi

Tuesday 30 December (eve) - Tamara Rojo, Junor Souza and Max Westwell

Friday 2 January – Laurretta Summerscales, James Forbat and Max Westwell

Saturday 3 January (mat) - Elena Glurdjidze, Arionel Vargas and Nathan Young

Saturday 3 January (eve) - Shiori Kase, Yonah Acosta and Fernando Bufalá

Sunday 4 January (mat) - Ksenia Ovsyanick, Max Westwell and Fabian Reimair

Ends

• Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping Ksenia Ovsyanick with her husband will get a second go at O/O in London.  Would love to see that.  Bless Ms. Rojo for making this debut possible.  (Here's hoping his back holds out.)  I'm sadly teaching on the Thursday (20.11.14) that she makes her first outing during the matinee in Liverpool otherwise I would have more than happily traveled up for it.   Bless Megabus for making such things affordable .... when possible.  Will very much look forward to the BcoF reviews from those lucky members who are able to attend this exciting premiere.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Thanks Janet.  Some very interesting casting, and like Bruce I sooo hope Ksenia performs O/O in London;  I don't see why she wouldn't.  Even better would be if she performed it with her new hubby! 

I'm also delighted to see that Elena has a few shows;  again, my fingers are crossed for a London swan...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Swan Lake Principal Casting

London Coliseum
7 Jan 2015 – 18 Jan 2015

Wed 7 Jan - Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Vasiliev

Thu 8 Jan (Matinee) – TBA and Junor Souza

Thu 8 Jan – Tamara Rojo and Alban Lendorf

Fri 9 Jan - Fernanda Oliveira and Dmitri Gruzdyev

Sat 10 Jan (Matinee) - Erina Takahashi and
TBA

Sat 10 Jan - Laurretta Sumerscales and Alejandro Virelles

Sun 11 Jan (Matinee) - Alina Cojocaru and
Ivan Vasiliev

Tue 13 Jan - Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Vasiliev

Wed 14 Jan – Tamara Rojo and Alban Lendorf

Thu 15 Jan (Matinee) - Laurretta Sumerscales and Alejandro Virelles

Thu 15 Jan - Erina Takahashi and TBA

Fri 16 Jan - Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Vasiliev

Sat 17 Jan (Matinee) - Fernanda Oliveira and Dmitri Gruzdyev

Sat 17 Jan (eve) – Tamara Rojo and Alban Lendorf

Sun 18 Jan (Matinee) - Elena Glurdjidze and Arionel Vargas

In the release it mentions that ENB will be doing a UK summer tour ... but also a 'world tour' in 2015 .... I looked through the season brochure ... and noticed the week at Sadlers Wells with interest ... but I couldn't find details on the world tour or repertory being danced.  Of course I may have missed it.  I looked over the brochure very quickly.  Does anyone know where they are going internationally or what they will be dancing?? 

Edited by Bruce Wall

Does anyone know where they are going internationally or what they will be dancing?? 

The announcement now on the ENB website mentions Beijing, Singapore, Madrid, Barcelona, Mexico City and Bogota.

But, given that this and other news is on the website, surely there will be another Press Release covering all this?

In the release it mentions that ENB will be doing a UK summer tour...

I've missed that bit - can you point me at where it says they are doing a UK Summer tour? I don't see they are and would love to be proved wrong.

Edited by Bruce

I've missed that bit - can you point me at where it says they are doing a UK Summer tour? I don't see they are and would love to be proved wrong.

Dear Bruce,

I refer to the statement at the bottom of the ENB release which mailing list members received from their good offices by means of an email this morning.  It says:

Alongside its UK tour programme in Summer 2015 English National Ballet embarks on its first large scale international tour, taking world-class British ballet to new audiences around the world and reflecting this country’s rich and diverse cultural identity. 

That is where I got the idea that there was a 'summer tour'.  

I wonder - just on reflection:  In the outcome of the new ACE portfolio funding review for the next three years as announced this year, it stated that ENB had taken on an additional week in London and that the forfeited tour week would either go to BRB or Northern Ballet.  Is it my imagination or is there less ENB performance time in London according to the 2014/15 statement than this past season gone or is it (i) that the 2014/15 season statement is incomplete (which it may well be as 'capybara' suggests) or have I simply misunderstood something (which happens frequently).  

I hope that the 'world class British ballet' suggested for the world tour includes aspects of the 'Lest We Forget' programme.  It was such a wonderful boon for the eye, ear and mind.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

The last two years the season was announced by Tamara Rojo in person at a hotel, wasn't it? I'm delighted by the Forsythe. I've been longing to see it since I saw an excerpt of it on CND's Twitter feed. Petite Mort is a welcome return and I'm intrigued to see the Neumeier. It's a good programme to show at Sadler's Wells. I'm puzzled by the lack of information about the latter part of the season. Is ENB going to tour abroad rather than perform in London next summer?

Here is the official Press Release:

English National Ballet 2014/2015 Season

·         English National Ballet presents Modern Masters: Icons of 20th Century Choreography at Sadler’s Wells in March 2015.

·         Modern Masters includes works by Forsythe, Neumeier and Kylián.

·         Guest Artists Ivan Vasiliev and Alban Lendorf perform in Swan Lake at the London Coliseum in January 2015.

·         Ivan Vasiliev’s debut as Prince Siegfried in Swan Lake

·         New members make their Company debuts including Principal Alejandro Virelles.

·         Two new regional hubs for English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s programme.  

·         My First Ballet series continues with a brand new version of Swan Lake that embarks on a six week UK tour.

·         Large scale international tour to take place in Summer 2015

From the 10 - 15 March 2015 English National Ballet presents Modern Masters: Icons of 20th Century Choreography, a new triple bill at Sadler’s Wells. The evening’s programme includes works from two choreographers new to the Company’s repertoire, William Forsythe’s In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated and Spring and Fall by John Neumeier. The triple bill also includes Jiří Kylián’s Petite Mort, first performed by the Company in Ecstasy and Death in 2013.

Of Modern Masters Artistic Director of English National Ballet, Tamara Rojo says:  “After the success of last year’s productions Le Corsaire and Lest We Forget, I am delighted to present Modern Masters, a new triple bill, at Sadler’s Wells, which offers the perfect home for this programme. English National Ballet is committed to presenting the very best of both traditional and contemporary ballet to audiences across the UK, bringing these works to Sadler’s Wells continues this commitment and offers us the opportunity to reach new audiences.

I am excited to see the Company perform these works by some of the most influential choreographers. As Artistic Director I am always looking at our dancer’s development and this programme offers them both the challenge and opportunity to develop artistically.”

Continuing to bring the very best talent from around the world to a UK audience, this season sees English National Ballet welcomeGuest Artists Ivan Vasiliev and Alban Lendorf, performing with the Company in Derek Deane’s Swan Lake at the London Coliseum from the 7 - 18 January 2015.

Vasiliev and Lendorf perform in the role of Prince Siegfried alongside Alina Cojocaru and Tamara Rojo respectively, in the role of Odette/Odile (Full Principal casting details for Swan Lake at the London Coliseum below). This is the first time that Vasiliev has performed the role of Prince Siegfried.

Of Vasiliev and Lendorf, Tamara Rojo says“It is a reflection of English National Ballet’s reputation that we are able to attract outstanding talent from around the world to perform with the Company. I can’t wait to see Ivan partner with Alina and I look forward to performing alongside Alban again in Swan Lake.”

One of the most celebrated ballet dancers at the moment, Vasiliev has performed with numerous prestigious companies around the world including American Ballet Theatre (Principal), Bolshoi Ballet and Mariinsky Ballet. Vasiliev took London audiences by storm when he last performed with English National Ballet in Roland Petit’s Le Jeune Homme et la Mort in 2011.

Principal with The Royal Danish Ballet, Alban Lendorf has won numerous awards for his performances including the Benois de la Danse Award for his role of Armand Duval in Lady of the Camellias with The Royal Danish Ballet. ’One of the world’s most exceptional dancers’’ (The New York Times), Lendorf first performed as a Guest Artist with English National Ballet in Etudes in 2013 and recently as Franz in Ronald Hynd’s Coppélia in July 2014.

This season also sees new Principal Alejandro Virelles join English National Ballet from Boston Ballet. He will perform the lead roles inSwan Lake and Nutcracker on tour and at the London Coliseum.

Of joining the Company, Virelles says; “I grew up admiring Tamara Rojo as an artist and I am very excited to work with her at English National Ballet. Being a Principal with the Company has come at the perfect time in my career and I believe Tamara will have many great things to offer me as she is such an incredible talent.”

Also joining the Company this season is Precious Adams, who recently finished her training at the Bolshoi Ballet Academy and was a double prize winner at the Prix de Lausanne 2014; Yoko Callegari from Boston Ballet; Adriana Lizardi from Ballet National de l’Opera de Bordeaux; Sarah Kundi from Ballet Black and Isabelle Brouwers and Jinhao Zhang who join from English National Ballet School.

Continuing to develop its work with Dance for Parkinson’s, English National Ballet expands its regional class programmes to include DanceEast in Ipswich and National Dance Company Wales in Cardiff. They join existing partners Oxford, in partnership with Oxford City Council and Liverpool, in partnership with Merseyside Dance Initiative.

Remaining vital to the development of English National Ballet’s younger dancers, the 2015 Emerging Dancer competition will be held at the Southbank Centre’s Queen Elizabeth Hall on the 23 March 2015. Last year’s winner of the Emerging Dancer Award, Junor Souza, has since been promoted to First Soloist and will perform Principal roles in Swan Lake and Nutcracker this season. 

From the 18 - 20 June 2015 English National Ballet’s platform for emerging dance makers, Choreographics  will take place at the Lilian Baylis Studio at Sadler’s Wells. Choreographics offers dancers in the Company the opportunity to create their own work and develop as choreographers as well as performers, collaborating with award-winning choreographer Russell Maliphant, an Associate Artist of the theatre.

Continuing its commitment to UK touring and presenting world-class ballet to the widest possible audience, English National Ballet takes its critically acclaimed production of Coppélia to Southampton, Oxford and Bristol; and ahead of its run at the London Coliseum in January 2015 Derek Deane’s Swan Lake tours to Manchester, Milton Keynes and Liverpool.

Making ballet accessible to audiences as young as three years old, this season sees the continuation of the popular My First Ballet… series with My First Ballet: Swan Lake. The production runs at the Peacock Theatre, London from the 2 - 12 Aprilfollowed by a six week UK tour including two new venues the Lighthouse, Poole and Curve Theatre, Leicester.

Alongside its UK tour programme in Summer 2015 English National Ballet embarks on a large scale international tour, taking world-class British ballet to new audiences around the world and reflecting this country’s rich and diverse cultural identity. The Company tours to Beijing, Singapore, Madrid, Barcelona, Mexico City and Bogota.

On Sale Dates: 

My First Ballet: Swan Lake 

Members: Friday 19 September 2014

General Public: Wednesday 24 September 2014

My First Ballet: Swan Lake at Curve Theatre, Leicester
Members: Monday 29 September 2014

General Public: Thursday 1 October 2014

Emerging Dancer
October 2014

My First Ballet: Swan Lake at the Peacock Theatre, London
Monday 10 November 2014

Modern Masters: Icons of 20th Century Choreography 
Monday 10 November 2014

Choreographics 
Monday 10 November 2014

Full season details below:

Dance for Parkinson’s Programmes

From October 2014 English National Ballet adds two new regional hubs to its Dance for Parkinson’s programme; DanceEast in Ipswich and National Dance Company Wales in Cardiff. They join existing regional programmes in Oxford, in partnership with Oxford City Council and Liverpool, in partnership with Merseyside Dance Initiative. 

English National Ballet started working with people with Parkinson’s in 2010, the first major dance company in the UK to do so, since then it has become a leader for Dance for Parkinson’s. Its national Dance for Parkinson’s programme offers people with Parkinson’s, their carers, friends and family members the opportunity to engage in high quality artistic dance activity, inspired by the Company’s repertoire, within a professional dance studio.

Extending its outreach programme to these new hubs is integral to English National Ballet’s commitment to raising the public profile of Dance for Parkinson’s, giving access to, and advocating the benefits of dance and cultural activities for people with Parkinson’s.

Music@Malling

HK Gruber - Frankenstein!!
Tuesday 23 - Thursday 25 September 2015

Revelation St. Mary’s, Ashford, Kent

Chamber Domaine, English National Ballet and Matthew Sharp collaborate to perform schools concerts including performances of HK Gruber's iconic Frankenstein!!

Narrated by Matthew Sharp, who was recently praised in The Daily Telegraph for his "astonishingly comprehensive virtuosity", the concerts are a culmination of workshops across Kent that engage hundreds of children with music and ballet, providing access to leading international performers. The collaborating schools for these two performances are from Ashford.

HK Gruber is one of the world's leading contemporary composers and these performances feature new choreography by English National Ballet First Soloist, Fabian Reimar for dancer, Daniele Silingardi and local school children.

Swan Lake

Wednesday 8 October 2014 - Sunday 18 January 2015

UK Tour

English National Ballet takes its full production of Derek Deane’s critically acclaimed Swan Lake on a UK tour to Manchester (8-11 Oct), Milton Keynes (11-15 Nov), Liverpool (18- 22 Nov) and the London Coliseum (7-18 Jan).

Arguably one of the most popular ballets created, Swan Lake tells the story of Prince Siegfried’s love for the Swan Queen, Odette, and their battle against the evil magician, Rothbart. This popular production brings the romance and high drama of the Russian ballet tradition alive, and features Tchaikovsky’s score played by the Orchestra of English National Ballet. Deane’s version of Swan Lake premiered at the London Coliseum in 2000 and has since been seen by over 550,000 people across the UK.

Coppélia

Wednesday 15 October 2014 - Saturday 8 November 2014

UK Tour

“The effervescent Delibes score is an unalloyed pleasure, the story is light-hearted, family friendly, and the choreography is filled with joy.”The Times

After a critically acclaimed run at the London Coliseum in July this year, Coppélia begins a UK tour to Southampton (15-18 Oct), Oxford (28 Oct-1 Nov) and Bristol (4-8 Nov).

Coppélia is the comic tale of an eccentric toymaker and his mechanical doll. Dr Coppélius, the toymaker, creates a lifelike Coppélia doll and wishes to bring her to life. English National Ballet's production is choreographed by Ronald Hynd. Léo Delibes' score is played by the Orchestra of English National Ballet.

Nutcracker

Thursday 11 December 2014 - Sunday 4 January 2015

London Coliseum

“The sheer beauty of the production, the dazzling artistry of the performers and the glorious music of Tchaikovsky make this the perfect start to the festive season” The Observer

Nutcracker returns to the London Coliseum this Christmas. First performed in 2010 to celebrate English National Ballet’s 60thanniversary, Wayne Eagling’s version has since been seen by over 300,000 people.

Set in a world of Edwardian elegance Nutcracker takes audiences on a journey with Clara, her Nutcracker doll and the magician Drosselmeyer, set to Tchaikovsky’s soaring score performed by the Orchestra of English National Ballet. This is English National Ballet’s 11th production of Nutcracker since it performed its first full length production in 1950, its founding year. Since then, English National Ballet has established the tradition of performing Nutcracker at Christmas every year.

Tuesday 10 - Sunday 15 March 2015

Sadler’s Wells

English National Ballet presents Modern Masters, a new triple bill, at Sadler’s Wells. The evening’s programme includes works from two choreographers new to the Company’s repotoire, William Forsythe’s In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated and Spring and Fall by John Neumeier. The triple bill also includes Jiří Kylián’s Petite Mort, first performed in Ecstasy and Death in 2013.

Jiří Kylián’s Petit Mort features six men, six women and six fencing foils, symbolising energy, silence and sexuality. Created for the Salzburg Festival in 1991, it is performed to the movements of two Mozart Piano Concerti, the A Major and the C Major.

Originally created for the Hamburg Ballet, Neumeier’s Spring and Fall is not in the repertoire of any other UK company. Set to Dvořák's Serenade for Strings in E Major, it features two couples and corps de ballet. A regular Guest Artist with Hamburg Ballet, Lead Principal Alina Cojocaru said of performing the work in Hamburg this Summer; “to dance to Dvořák's music in such a wonderful creation by Neumeier, gives me such a sense of meaning and hidden challenges. Spring and Fall is a dream come true.’’

William Forsythe created In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated at the invitation of Rudolf Nureyev when he was Director of the Paris Opera Ballet. Set against a bare stage it is performed by nine dancers to an electronic score by Dutch composer Thom Willems, culminating in a display of technical brilliance.

On sale Monday 10 November 2014

Emerging Dancer

Monday 23 March 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hall, Southbank Centre

Now in its sixth year, English National Ballet’s annual event for up-and-coming dancers, Emerging Dancer will be held at the Southbank Centre’s Queen Elizabeth Hall. The six emerging dancers perform in front of a panel of eminent judges. The Emerging Dancer Award winner is announced at the end of the evening together with the recipient of the People’s Choice Award, which is voted for by members of the public.

Emerging Dancer is generously supported by Talbot Hughes McKillop, the restructuring experts.

Thursday 2 - Sunday 12 April 2015
The Peacock Theatre, London

Saturday 18 April - Saturday 23 May 2015

UK Tour

2015 sees the My First Ballet series enter its fourth year with My First Ballet: Swan Lake. A joint venture between English National Ballet and English National Ballet School, the series aims to make ballet accessible to an audience as young as three.

My First Ballet: Swan Lake opens at the Peacock Theatre in London’s West End on Thursday 2 April, followed by a 6 week UK tour, including two new venues Lighthouse, Poole and Curve Theatre, Leicester.

Choreographed by George Williamson, English National Ballet’s Associate Artist, My First Ballet: Swan Lake uses choreography based on the original concept by Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov currently being performed in the Company’s repertoire. Williamson will reduce the ballet to an hour and adapt the story for children.

Choreographics

Thursday 18 - Sunday 20 June 2015

Lilian Baylis Studio at Sadler’s Wells

English National Ballet’s platform for emerging dance makers, Choreographics, will take place in the Lilian Baylis Studio at Sadler’s Wells this season. Offering dancers the chance to discover a choreographic language and develop their skills as dance makers as well as performers, they will collaborate with English National Ballet’s Music Director, Gavin Sutherland, to create a new score and receive mentoring from award-winning choreographer Russell Maliphant and dancer, choreographer and teacher, Kelly Nicholls.

Last year saw five works premiere including James Streeter’s In Living Memory, which went on to be performed at Latitude Festival and Stina Quagebeur’s Vera which was selected by The Breaking Glass Project and performed in New York in August.

On sale Monday 10 November 2014

For further information, interview requests and images please contact Robert James, PR Manager at robert.james@ballet.org.uk or call 020 7590 2933.

For further information about English National Ballet and to book tickets visit www.ballet.org.uk. Please note performance details are subject to change.

Notes to Editors

Swan Lake at the London Coliseum 
Principal Casting in detail 
(in the order of Odette/Odile and Prince Siegfried)

Casting is subject to change. Please see www.ballet.org.uk for more details.

London Coliseum

Wednesday 7 - Sunday 18 January 2015

020 7845 9300 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake 

Wednesday 7 January (press night) - Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Vasiliev

Thursday 8 January (mat) – TBA and Junor Souza

Thursday 8 January (eve) – Tamara Rojo and Alban Lendorf

Friday 9 January - Fernanda Oliveira and Dmitri Gruzdyev

Saturday 10 January (mat) - Erina Takahashi and TBA

Saturday 10 January (eve) - Laurretta Sumerscales & Alejandro Virelles

Sunday 11 January (mat) - Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Vasiliev

Tuesday 13 January - Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Vasiliev

Wednesday 14 January – Tamara Rojo and Alban Lendorf

Thursday 15 January (mat) - Laurretta Sumerscales & Alejandro Virelles

Thursday 15 January (eve) - Erina Takahashi and TBA

Friday 16 January - Alina Cojocaru and Ivan Vasiliev

Saturday 17 January (mat) - Fernanda Oliveira and Dmitri Gruzdyev

Saturday 17 January (eve) – Tamara Rojo and Alban Lendorf

Sunday 18 January (mat) - Elena Glurdjidze and Arionel Vargas

LISTINGS INFORMATION FOR THE 2014/2015 SEASON 

Dance for Parkinson’s Class Programmes

15 Sept - 20 Oct 2014: Oxford Summer Term

20 Sept - 13 Dec 2014: London Autumn Term

25 Sept - 18 Dec 2014: Liverpool Autumn Term

15 Oct 2014: Ipswich Taster Class and Theatre Visit

25 Oct 2014: Cardiff Taster Class and Theatre Visit

10 Nov 2014 - 16 Feb 2015: Oxford Autumn/Winter Term 
For 
more information please see www.ballet.org.uk/learning/dance-parkinsons

Music@Malling

HK Gruber - Frankenstein!!

Revelation St.Mary's, Ashford, Kent

23 - 25 Sept 2015

Box Office: 01732 876166 or www.musicatmalling.com

Tickets: £5

Swan Lake

8 - 11 Oct 2014

Box Office: 0844 871 3019 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake 
Tickets: £5 - £41

Coppélia

The Mayflower Theatre,

Southampton

15 - 18 Oct 2014

Box Office: 023 8071 1811 or www.ballet.org.uk/coppelia 
Tickets: £10.75 - £48.50

Coppélia

New Theatre, Oxford

28 Oct - 1 Nov 2014

Box Office: 0844 871 3020 or www.ballet.org.uk/coppelia

Tickets: £10 - £41

Coppélia

The Bristol Hippodrome

4 - 8 Nov 2014

Box Office: 0844 871 3012 or www.ballet.org.uk/coppelia

Tickets: £10 - £46

Swan Lake

Milton Keynes Theatre

11 - 15 Nov 2014

Box Office: 0844 871 7652 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake 
Tickets: £10 - £46

Swan Lake

Liverpool Empire

18 - 22 Nov 2014

Box Office: 0844 871 3017 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake

Tickets: £5 - £41

Nutcracker

London Coliseum

11 Dec 2014 - 4 Jan 2015

Box Office: 020 7845 9300 or www.ballet.org.uk/nutcracker

Tickets: £14 - £79

Swan Lake

London Coliseum

7 - 18 Jan 2015

Box Office: 020 7845 9300 or www.ballet.org.uk/swanlake 
Tickets: £14 - £79

Sadler’s Wells, London

10 - 15 Mar 2015

Box Office: 0844 412 4300 or www.ballet.org.uk/modernmasters 
Tickets: £12 - £45

Emerging Dancer

Queen Elizabeth Hall

23 Mar 2015

Box Office: 0844 875 0073 or www.ballet.org.uk/emergingdancer 
Tickets: TBA

Peacock Theatre, London

2 - 12 Apr 2015

Box Office: 0844 412 4322 or www.ballet.org.uk/myfirst/swanlake

Tickets: £10 - £25

Lighthouse, Poole

18 & 19 Apr 2015

Box Office: 0844 406 8666 or www.ballet.org.uk/myfirst/swanlake
Tickets: £8 - £25

New Victoria Theatre, Woking

25 & 26 Apr 2015

Box Office: 0844 871 7645 or www.ballet.org.uk/myfirst/swanlake

2 & 3 May 2015

Box Office: 0844 871 3019 or www.ballet.org.uk/myfirst/swanlake

Bristol Hippodrome

9 & 10 May 2015

Box Office: 0844 871 3012 or www.ballet.org.uk/myfirst/swanlake

Wimbledon Theatre, London

15 & 16 May 2015

Box Office: 0844 871 7646 or www.ballet.org.uk/myfirst/swanlake

Curve Theatre, Leicester

22 & 23 May 2015

Box Office: 0116 242 3595 or www.ballet.org.uk/myfirst/swanlake

Tickets: £8 - £25 

Choreographics 
Lilian Baylis Studio at Sadler’s Wells

18 - 20 June 2015

Box Office: 0844 412 4300 or www.ballet.org.uk/choreographics  
Tickets: TBA

About English National Ballet

English National Ballet is a world-class ballet company, renowned for creative excellence, innovative collaborations and engaging ways of honouring and enhancing traditional and contemporary ballet. English National Ballet aims to bring ballet to the widest possible audience, touring across the UK and internationally. In 2013/2014 English National Ballet gave over 190 performances to just under 250,000 people. 2014 saw English National Ballet commission and present the critically acclaimed productions Lest We Forget at the Barbican, Le Corsaire at the London Coliseum and on tour, and Romeo & Juliet in-the-round at the Royal Albert Hall.

Under the Artistic Directorship of Tamara Rojo, English National Ballet has increased the amount of new works it has commissioned; working on new productions with contemporary choreographers including Russell Maliphant and Akram Khan performed alongside traditional productions including Derek Deane’s critically acclaimed Swan Lake and Wayne Eagling’s Nutcracker.

English National Ballet has brought some of the greatest dancers from around the world to a UK audience, as well as developing new talent within the Company through events including the annual Emerging Dancer competition and Choreographics, giving dancers the opportunity to develop their craft as performers as well as dance makers.

English National Ballet is committed to making ballet accessible to all, offering tickets from as little as £14 in London and £5 on tour. TheMy First Ballet… series is a joint venture with the English National Ballet School, offers children the opportunity to see a ballet production created specifically for their age group. 

Through its Engagement department, English National Ballet works with local communities of all ages involving them with ballet through workshops, talks and classes that take place around the country. In 2014 it’s hugely successful Dance for Parkinson’s programme that works with people with Parkinson’s, their carers and families, extended its regional output creating two new hubs in Ipswich and Cardiff.

Talbot Hughes McKillop (THM) 

Talbot Hughes McKillop (THM) provides experienced leadership to corporates, creditors and shareholders in distressed and other event-driven special situations. The firm provides hands-on, practical support, typically using small, partner led teams to deal with both the financial and operational aspects of a restructuring situation. The role may involve partners from THM taking executive roles (for example as Chief Restructuring Officer) and/or other Board of Director appointments. Founded in 2001, THM has handled some of the highest profile pan- European restructuring projects. THM believes that the arts have a critical role to play in enriching the life of communities throughout the country, as well as in fostering emerging young talent. Business has a clear responsibility to engage constructively with arts organizations in providing finance and other forms of help and support. This is even more critical at a time when the state has had to reduce its financial support for the arts, creating a funding gap that needs to be bridged.

• Like 1

It may be, Aileen, because Rojo is guesting with Vasiliev at La Scala this week.

Great for Tamara but what do ENB get from such guesting I wonder?

Although it didn't have to be this week I think it would have been good if ENB had handled the release of this information as per earlier years with a proper press conference and allowed a Q&A etc.

I don't think 2014/15 rivals either of the two earlier years in terms of new rep and the audience outside London get nothing special I can see.

London gets sexy guests, the Sadler's 3bill, Choreographics, Emerging Dancer Award. A lot of time and energy must be going into the big overseas tour as well.

Unless I'm missing something ENB fans outside of London get just Coppelia and Swan Lake. Only 6 cities are visited in very old rep. The last tour date is 22 November (Liverpool) and that's it - the company tour no more in the UK until the 2015/16 season.

But they have the time and energy to tour to Beijing, Singapore, Madrid, Barcelona, Mexico City and Bogota.

• Like 1

I wonder - just on reflection:  In the outcome of the new ACE portfolio funding review for the next three years as announced this year, it stated that ENB had taken on an additional week in London and that the forfeited tour week would either go to BRB or Northern Ballet.  Is it my imagination or is there less ENB performance time in London according to the 2014/15 statement than this past season gone or is it (i) that the 2014/15 season statement is incomplete (which it may well be as 'capybara' suggests) or have I simply misunderstood something (which happens frequently).

The ACE review - the one where BRB and NB get £500K and £550k extra to tour better amongst other things (and ENB got standstill funding) - relates to the 2015/16 season onwards I think. 2014/15 must be in accordance with whatever has already been agreed.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

Well, Londoners are also missing out as well as there seems to be nothing on in June and July; there are normally two programmes. The additional London week has not materialised either. Of course, all this is assuming that the whole of the season has been announced. Tours abroad should really take place after the domestic season has finished IMO. Having said that, last season was very busy with the tours to Spain and it finished very late (2 August) because of the last tour. On the face of it, the season is rather disappointing.

You should find a Brochure for 2014-15 here:

http://issuu.com/englishnationalballet/docs/enb_seasonbrochure_201415?e=9686389/9314349&utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=16158-248000-Season+Announcement%3A+General

Oddly, Begoña Cao, the poster girl for Odette/Odile on the first pages, does not appear to be cast for any of the Swan Lake performances.

For some reason it does not play well with Firefox (my version anyway!) and I can't get beyond the opening page. It's ok with Chrome, though the font could be bigger - the pages don't seem to zoom up enough.

Slick document, particulary for us in London...

Slick but difficult to use - but then designers often aren't bothered by that. They like to produce something they can sell to the client as being 'cutting edge', and what a bore for the user that often turns out to be.

Yep - would be better as a pdf. Has anybody found a print option?

Great for Tamara but what do ENB get from such guesting I wonder?

Although it didn't have to be this week I think it would have been good if ENB had handled the release of this information as per earlier years with a proper press conference and allowed a Q&A etc.

I don't think 2014/15 rivals either of the two earlier years in terms of new rep and the audience outside London get nothing special I can see.

London gets sexy guests, the Sadler's 3bill, Choreographics, Emerging Dancer Award. A lot of time and energy must be going into the big overseas tour as well.

Unless I'm missing something ENB fans outside of London get just Coppelia and Swan Lake. Only 6 cities are visited in very old rep. The last tour date is 22 November (Liverpool) and that's it - the company tour no more in the UK until the 2015/16 season.

But they have the time and energy to tour to Beijing, Singapore, Madrid, Barcelona, Mexico City and Bogota.

Tamara Rojo is standing in for Svetlana Zakharova who could not make it out of Moscow to Milan to dance Don Q with Vasiliev for personal reasons according to La Scala's website.  (Osipova is dancing Don Q with Sarafanov as well.)

The last two years the season was announced by Tamara Rojo in person at a hotel, wasn't it? 

Apparently there is a 'by invitation' Season Preview next week but, as with the RB habitually and ENB last year, there seems little point in having it after the relevant press release has come out.

Of course, all this is assuming that the whole of the season has been announced

It does appear to have been and there are many of us who will miss the two+ habitual summer weeks of ENB shows.

Tamara Rojo is standing in for Svetlana Zakharova who could not make it out of Moscow to Milan to dance Don Q with Vasiliev for personal reasons according to La Scala's website.  (Osipova is dancing Don Q with Sarafanov as well.)

Tamara has, in fact, been listed to dance in Milan for a long time.

It seems as if Tamara wants to have a big push to raise the company's profile abroad. I hope that she'll take the Lest We Forget programme as that is something new and unique to ENB (apart from the Scarlett, to which Queensland Ballet also has the rights). I wonder what else she'll take. Personally, I feel that it's a shame that there isn't at least one programme in the summer. March to December is a long time for ENB to be absent from its home city London (the Choreographics and Emerging Dancer events are worthwhile but not quite the same).

• Like 2