RBS- mid associate(auditions, places available etc.),

Aballerina

Hi

Sorry if this post goes wrong, this is my first post and I don't know what tags are.

I'm 12yrs and I've been dancing since I was 3. I'm applying for the ma at the RBS. I'm trying to find out as much about what they look for and what happens at an audition. From what I've gathered it's basically a class but is there any specific exercises such as touching your toes or something like that? Also how many places available for yr 8 and is the mid associates one class or is it separate for each yr groups? And for the ballet body I've got long limbs, longish neck,short torso, narrow hips but broad shoulders, hyperextension, but I've got flat, but very flexible, feet. In fact the lady who fit my pointe shoes thought that I had high arches because they were flexible. Is the only reason why they look for high arches and a high instep is because they want flexibility? I found out that flat feet tend not to be flexible. Thank you for reading this and I'll be grateful if anyone answers.

Hi Aballerina and welcome to the site, I can't help much as my daughter is only just starting her ballet journey but this year she auditioned and got accepted onto the JA's so I can tell you a little about her audition and hopefully it's not too much different from the mids. My daughter said it was just like a normal ballet class, they done some warm ups such as skipping around the room and some simple stretches including the splits on left and right leg and also straddle, then they lined up in rows of 4 and done some simple points and plié's, they done lots of barre work and some basic little routines including runs from a corner and finishing in arabesque, she said it was fun and felt more like a lesson than an audition. And from what I know yes it is seperate classes for each year group but someone will have to correct me if I am wrong on this. I hope this has helped a little and good luck for your audition and I hope you get some more replies from people with more info ????

• Like 1

Hi Aballerina

At different times of the year the RBS will hold Audition Workshops , which give you an idea what to expect in an audition. Last year ther was one at the end of October .

There is a calendar of events on their website maybe keep your eye on that to see if any dates get added for this year or your parent might ring up for you.

From the limited info I get out of my dd the auditions are fairly basic .

Good Luck .

Edited by HAIRBELLES
  • Like 2

Hi there it is worth seeing of they are doing the audition preparation day in October half term. They probably will see an Achilles flexibility test which is a standing squat with heels on the floor, a forward stretch sitting nose on knees, splits 3 ways. In forward splits try to keep your back strong and posture of the back and neck elegant even if you are not all the way down same with box but show the effort too. Listen v carefully to any corrections given during the audition and act on them straight away ie on the second side of the barre or when repeating an exercise. Run in and out of the centre beautifully and do run! Not walk! Perform a bit. It will be at inter foundation/inter standard but very simple settings. Short barre with developpes. Ports de bras, centre with pirs, adage, 3 allegro really go for it on the grand allegro. Don't force pirouettes work on showing a good clean single. They do not take many this will be dependent on the venue and how many are in the class already but if you give a good impression it will stand you in good stead for the future even if you are not successful. Wear a simple leotard, belt, very clean but not brand new shoes, elastics advised as you might take shoes off when they look at you all. Plain ballet bun, no make up. Just really enjoy it. Don't quote me on this but it will help give you an idea.

• Like 1