RBS audition dates/online applications

SwaybackSapphire

The height and weight thing seems ok if you put a decimal point in there.... so 5.6 for 5'6" etc.  You have to click what unit of measurement it is underneath anyway so they should understand.  I'm having a headache with the summer school photos.  It says my photos aren't allowed as they aren't a recognised file type but they are a ".png" which is on their list of accepted ones.  What a headache.  Have no idea what to do about it so have given up!

• Like 1

Thanks for that Bailarin ... I have no idea what "paint in windows" is either but guessing it's some sort of file to upload the pictures in .... It's honestly putting me off applying for dd this year as the last 3 years she hasn't been successful anyway .

Edited by HAIRBELLES

I think they'll lose a lot of applications if it's really such a nightmare! I don't have paint for windows as I have an Apple (without photoshop).  I think my file size is ok, it's just the file type... there must be some way of changing that but I don't have the time to do it right now!  Will google at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks as if the applications for full time training are available after the 22nd September ! That is what I read last night on their website !

The applications for full time training, MA and SA are now available!

It looks to me that the photos needed are the same like the Summer School photos. Please correct me if I'm wrong (but I took the pictures already so hope I've got it right!).

• Like 1

When filling out the form yesterday it processed to 83% completed then I could not get the photos to add. Even if I didn't add any it said that the file was too big. If you can't add the photos it appears you can't save what you've done so far either. Anybody else had this problem? X

Yes taxiballet we did ours over a week ago. I didn't have any problems luckily, not like some others have mentioned. Apart from my photos collectively were 9mb and the maximum being 10mb. However, it told me the file size was too big. I went onto paint which brought the total file size down to only 6mb which it accepted. I found an old online printout version of the application form and wrote my answers in word. When i filled in the form I found it easier to just copy and paste most of the answers in. Also, I thought if anything goes wrong and it doesn't submit I still have my answers there to do again...just a suggestion. :)

I received an email same day saying they had received it and my information would follow 2 weeks before our allotted audition. Hope that helps.

Vetty did it direct you to make a payment at the end?  I only ask because I submitted our application and it sent me the same email saying thank you, we have received it and you will hear from us two weeks before the audition date.  BUT it didn't direct me to make payment so I phoned to check and the lady said the application wasn't even in their inbox!

Bailarin, yes it did direct me for payment. With having paypal I found this option easier. I also have the record on my paypal account.

Sounds like a glitch in the system. Are you having to do it again? X

No, I didn't have to re-do it, just told to Paypal separately with a note of her name etc.  Bit worrying that they might not have her photos etc though if it doesn't turn up at some point.  Thinking I might call to confirm it all around the closing date just to check.

• Like 1

Hi Lema,

There are 4 main schools before 16 but post 16 there are many more schools. It all depends what genres want to be studied. My DD already attends 1 of the 4 main lower schools so will audition to stay there which is normal practice. She is applying to the other 7 as she wants Ballet or Ballet with contemporary. X

• 3 weeks later...

Hy everyone! I have been a silent reader for a while....I needed to put a bit of a distance from  ballet school world as I was getting too much involved and risking not to be objective anymore in helping my DD. Finally, after a very suffered period of doubts, we made up our mind and decided to audition for RBS full time training. The decision was not so easy as we live in Italy and my DD is only 11 years old (turning 12 at the end of december).....Maybe, the fact that she is applying for Y8 entry, helped me to fill the application form without thinking to the enormous pain for her missing, as I know that the chance to entry at Y8 are very slim if not impossible!! (Well....maybe that's what my heart secretely wishes...). But, since the application form was sent (only yesterday, to underline my esitation)....a real terror didn't allow me to sleep....what if she is offered a place? Many parents woud be more than happy and so should I.....I am telling myself: we are just going there for the experience, she will never get a place, especially in Y8, we are just preparing the field for future audition at upper school, she is not so talented to aspire to RBS......

Am I so egoist? Did I make a mistake to apply if I actually don't want to let her go? You may say I'm silly not to have thought all this before, but I did.....You may say not to worry before the audition results are out, as maybe I will not have anything to worry about......but still...what if?

Zacharovitti, I do understand how you feel! And it's OK, normal, expected and understandable! I think it's good to audition, even just for experience. My DD is trying for Year 7 so theoretically her chances are a bit better then yours but practically so many children try every year, especially for year 7 places that it's so so hard to get in! I also can't imagine my DD going away being just 11 years old - but it's her dream! I feel I have no right to stop her IF she is accepted. So my advice (to myself as well!) - go for experience, enjoy it and don't worry yet about her leaving home in September. Even if she is offered a place you don't have to accept it!

• Like 1

That's so true! Even though.......who will have the courage to refuse such a coveted place if offered???? You are right, we must enjoy the experience and don't worry about it till the results are out. Whatever they are, I am sure we'll have something to regret (and something to be happy for!)

That's so true! Even though.......who will have the courage to refuse such a coveted place if offered???? You are right, we must enjoy the experience and don't worry about it till the results are out. Whatever they are, I am sure we'll have something to regret (and something to be happy for!)

I know someone who turned down a Y7 offer at WL. She had applied for MA and they invited her to WL final auditions anyway.

She did a year in a local school and did MA classess. They offered her a place in Y8 at WL and she accepted.

I also know someone who was offered a place in JAs who turned it down. They were offered a JA place the following year which they accepted.

So, people can and do turn down places offered by the RBS and it seems that, quite rightly, they don't hold that against you in future years.

• Like 1