Doubting a dance career...

swanprincess

Hi,

Just been reading your post and it reminds me of something my ballet teacher told me when I told her I wanted a career in dance. She said that at the age of 14 she decided that she really wanted to dance professionally with the Australian ballet company (she is originally from Australia) however when she told her teacher of this she they had said that is was very, very unlikely as she didn't have the right physique. However she went on to dance professionally with rhe Australian Ballet and she even was trained by Gailene Stock. It just goes to show that just because a few people say that something is unlikely to happen doesn't mean it can't happen. I hope that you come to the right decision on what is best for you and that you are happy with whatever decision you make.

Nutcracker-x xxxx

• Like 3

Is it a modern thing that graduates expect to walk into plum jobs in the West End?  Many years ago it used to be that without a full Equity card you couldn't work in the West End at all.  You worked with a Provisional card for a set number of weeks - can't remember exactly how many, 42 or thereabouts.  The weeks would be made up in Panto, end of Pier show, cruises etc.  As these were seasonal it could take several years to earn a full card.  Only new entrants into very specific jobs such as Classical ballet companies could obtain a full card straight away. 

I'm sure no one expects to simply walk into a plum west end job. The audition trail is only for the dedicated & many grads have a mixture of contracts from cruise ships, panto, theatre in education etc

You need to have trained at an accredited course to go into Spotlight, the industry bible & also one that has agent showcases. University degrees are not generally seen as preparation for a performing career.

Closed shops are now illegal so Equity does not have the stranglehold it once did.

• Like 2

Just what i was going to say Pictures about the closed shop. I got my Full Equity Card at the Moulin Rouge. The only time after I put it to good use was as an Extra for a TV commercial about beer.Never needed it after. There used to be rumours,whether true or not I don`t know. That brilliant classically trained actors who wanted to work with the Royal Shakespeare Company were advised to take up work as male strippers to earn their Equity Card;or else they would never have been taken on by the RSC without it. Don`t know how true that is or not.