A level results day.....

JulieW

Is looming!  I've been quite calm about it this year - last year was far worse waiting to see if dd could go to vet school, this year my son really wants good results and his place at uni but I think would be just as happy to take a gap year and some time out.  But with only two sleeps to go, I'm starting to feel the nerves again.

How's everyone else?

• Like 4

We have A level results this week for DD and GCSE next week for non DS. Both are quite chilled. DD already has her place for Sept so results not the be all and end all but would be nice to have something good to show for 2 years hard work. Non DS seems confident and I know he already has some A grades in the bag but I think the nerves will emerge next week. Fun times in August!

• Like 1

Not quite the same,but my son who doesn`t dance is waiting on his overall grade for the first year of his BTEC. I would love it if he has been awarded a Distinction [equivalent to "A" Level Grade A]. But it`s probably more likely to be a Merit [equivalent to a grade C at "A"  Level]. Will definately be disappointed if he only gets a Pass grade though [Grade E equivalent]. But with it only being the first year of his 2 year course, it will be the results of his assignments next year which will determine his final grade. But the very best of luck to those waiting for their Final results. Nerve wracking indeed.

• Like 3

I have spent many years handing out A level results to young people, some of whom were too nervous to speak.  I've seen the highs and lows and handed out so many tissues I could have shares in Kleenex.

I wish everyone the best of luck, but remember that whatever the results, its not the end of an era, but the start of new beginnings.

• Like 4

I love watching them get their results on the tv in the morning but our sixth form college put theirs online so it happens in the privacy of your own home. They do champagne and strawberries at midday so at least they can meet up (and parents go too) but my son doesn't have many friends there so he's not going :-(

• Like 4

I think Julie's college's idea is lovely - having been on both the positive and negative end of results, the idea of being able to celebrate after the event, or lick wounds in private seems extremely humane.

I sometimes think people are not celebrated for doing the best they can, it is easy to get the impression from the newspapers that "everyone" can get all As.  And "everyone" gets a first.  This devalues, to my mind, both those who do and those who don't achieve these grades.

Now, time to put my soapbox away ...

• Like 3

My son also got his results via email. I agree, it's the best way. 

"I sometimes think people are not celebrated for doing the best they can, it is easy to get the impression from the newspapers that "everyone" can get all As.  And "everyone" gets a first.  This devalues, to my mind, both those who do and those who don't achieve these grades."

Meadowblythe, I also agree. As I said, the course and uni my son had set his heart on required a certain set of grades...Another DS has no plans for uni and wants to try for an apprenticeship. I'm extremely happy with both of their choices - and more importantly so are they. As you said, it's about doing your best :)

• Like 3

Good to hear your news Ellie.  My son got the grades he needed for his course so he's happily going off to Reading Uni in just over a month (just heard from the accommodation people this evening too and that's now sorted).  Good job we could check UCAS online coz the college's computer system couldn't take the strain and he didn't find out his actual results until about 11am!

I'm relieved this bit's over I must say.  He's my youngest of three - with one abroad dancing, one who left for vet school last year and now him, so it's going to be a bit quiet here soon  :(

• Like 9

Congratulations to you all...I can't believe it's five years since I went through this with my daughter! She went to her uni of choice, had a great three years, did her gap year after uni and is now working. Time for my "grey gap year" methinks!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...