Auditions abroad

lallamum

Hello, I would kindly need your help again, if it's possible. 

Does anyone know where and when any information will be published on auditions dates to enter major ballet schools abroad? I am talking about Y12 and Y13 (instead of A levels qualifications). 

Thank you very much for any input. We are truly lost on this subject.

This query may get lost in this thread but will try it here...does anyone know of any european dance schools that have a good reputation and have 50/50 ballet /contemporary focus like Rambert by any chance? 

Could you be a bit more specific? Which schools and countries are you interested in?

Afab I don't have any special school or country in mind. I am just trying to find auditions in ballet schools abroad (not in UK), to increase the chances for my DD to enter a good ballet school. They can be everywhere, really. Someone told me that there was a website or a publication where they were listed but I don't remember. Thank you JoJo and Kat09!               

Apart the major ones like Cuba, NYCB, ABT, San Francisco, Milan, Paris and more, there are other minor ones which are good anyway. The only problem is that I don't know them and I don't know how to find them. Hence the hypothesis of a website or a magazine where the addresses and names are listed. But maybe it doesn't exist.

Would your daughter not like to try good ballet schools in Britain too, to increase her chances of getting into a good ballet school at home or abroad?

Yes Tulip, but there's a whole thread about auditions for upper schools in the UK, so I found pointless to ask about it. I already have the information there.

I think you may find that many schools in the USA (if your net is that wide) has an expectation that you will attend one of their summer intensives and any offer of a vocational place would be consequent upon that. But I suspect if you call them up and send a DVD audition they might consider it at other times.....Especially if you have a well respected ballet teacher vouching for you.....

• Like 1

Thank you CeliB. That is a very interesting point. I will research into it. What I find complicated is to explain to the ballet schools the academic level my DD is at the moment (Y10) and find some reasonable alternatives. Ideally it would be great to have a placement in a country where some english teaching is available, She also speaks french fluently, so she is open to this challenge as well. Different situation is to continue her studies in russian or german. Althoug she could try to be taught in russian or german for ballet classes, it would be totally impossible for her to continue her academic studies in those languages. Thank you again.

The Bolshoi offer a 1 year traineeship which includes ballet, character, historical dance, modern and acting alongside Russian language. This is so non-Russian students can then go on to a three year diploma which includes academic classes alongside the dance training in a three year diploma - see my earlier link for the list of academics taught. They are not as tough as A levels but many of the international students top this up with on-line study packages too. My daughter is now fluent in Russian after two years at the Bolshoi and enjoys the mix of academic and vocational - it's hard work and being so far from home, with only two trips back each year, is tough but she feels it's worth it for the progress she's made and the experience!

• Like 1

Oh thank you so much JoJo! This is very encouraging. I just imagined that russian was extremely tough, given also the different language characters. Also very good to know about online study packages as I thought there couldn't be anything after GCSEs. We will research into this as well. Thanks!!!

It is a tough language but if your daughter has a good understanding of other languages already i.e., French, then that will help. Also most of the teachers and admin staff speak only Russian so you have no choice but to learn very quickly - it's a great way to learn a language! My daughter was pretty fluent at the end of year 1 and now can converse freely on pretty much any subject you care to mention!

• Like 1