If they don't pass GCSE English or Maths what happens at 16+

Katymac

I guess it depends where they go. My dd's school has no 6th form so she would have had to leave school anyway. Sixth form colleges offer English and Maths GCSEs.

My dd is going to a full time private dance college in September which does not offer GCSEs so if she were to fail her GCSEs she would have to go to a local college and retake probably in the evenings. I recently did this myself for GCSE maths and the course and exam was free.....my results are due on the same day as dd's so hoping we both pass :)

• Like 5

I suspect as Jaylou says its would be a case of local evening college as I cannot imagine that a dance college, not already set up to offer academics would be in a position to suddenly offer retake options for GCSEs.  It was a question asked by DDs friend as she auditioned this year and one local college that does the BTEC stipulated that they could only do a level 2 dance course if they were retaking GCSEs, not the level 3 she was applying for.

it is compulsory for children up to the age of 18 to continue to study English and Maths to GCSE level if they do not have a A* - C pass.  Any institution which receives government funding for learning is obliged to provide these subjects as part of their funding requirements.  

All learning is free to anyone under the age of 19 and all basic skills courses (English & Maths) are free to all who do not have a GCSE A* -C pass in that subject.

Local colleges all offer basic skills courses, either on a day or evening basis, however if the dance college gets MDS or DADA support then they will have to arrange provision as part of their funding.

Hope that makes sense.