opportunities without auditions / competitiveness?

bethany

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help please?

My daughter is nearly 11. She is crazy about ballet and loves dance in general. She gets fairly high marks in her exams (usually a high merit or low distinction) and is a good but not exceptional dancer. She is at a good standard for her dance class but not really good enough to do any associate programmes etc. 

What sort of things could she do that she would enjoy and help her to improve but that are not as competitive or audition based? Is there anything? 

Thanks for any suggestions 

Some of the ballet companies run on stage workshops, often based around the particular production which is being performed at the time. I wouldn't rule out English Youth Ballet. I have known several children who were not associates take part in their productions. My DD sounds very similar to yours (her problem is lack of flexibility) and the big advantage of her dance school is that it puts on a full length ballet (actually sometimes two - one for the younger children) every two years and everyone who wants one gets a part (or several parts). I don't know how many schools do this. Some schools put on shows made up of dances by different groups of students but many don't do that either; their students are directed to EYB or LCB if they want to perform in something.

• Like 2

There are various one off workshops that are good but not selective and sometimes run alongside tours eg English National Ballet.  BRB has various opportunities too.  RAD do various one-off repetoire workshops that are good and these are across the UK in various locations.

Hello Bethany and welcome to the Forum.

As you can see, a couple of members have already made suggestions.

I am not sure where you are based but Northern Ballet in Leeds has an open summer school for 6-13 year olds:

http://northernballet.com/?q=blogs/shelley-firth/14-07-29/join-us-for-a-week-of-dance-storytelling

Ambassador Theatre Group also has events for youngsters, for example the Liverpool Empire has a youth ballet company and Milton Keynes also seems to have lots of events.

Please let us know how you get on.