Associate courses in SW??

Pointytoes22

Hello, I'd really like to try and audition for some sort of associate course but all the ones I've heard of are a long way to travel from home, and my parents don't want me to travel far.

I was a late starter in ballet and have managed to catch up with the rest of my age group, I'd like to audition for an associate class to try and take my training to the next level but I'm not really sure if I'd be good enough or not :s

Does anybody know of any associate courses for older girls (around 15 years) that run in the southwest? Or of any youth companies in the southwest that would give me the chance to perform more often??

Thank you! :)

Hi we are in the south west and I am not aware of any ballet associate schemes in the area. There is a cat scheme in Exeter which is contemporary based though I believe students take a ballet class as part of the training. What county are you in? I know of a youth company that is Somerset based that has lots of performance opportunities but again it is more contemporary focused. Hope this helps.

Devon have a youth dance company based in Exeter for 15+ years don't know anything about it but google it, also I think Plymouth theatre royal may have some sort of dance company. EYB are in Torquay soon unfortunately you have missed the auditions.

There are of course residential summer courses which others on this forum know more about than me. If you look at the other threads you'll find out more about these, although you may be too late for some of them for this year. Perhaps others could give a few pointers about these. Someone recently mentioned a Cechetti summer course which it was still possible to apply for. This may or may not be relevant to you.

Pointytoes22, I don't know if EYB have a regular schedule as such. The next few productions are up on their website. You could contact them to find out whether there are any future plans to put on another production in the South West. As in many areas of life, it's hard to keep up with what's going on and easy to miss out on things. Keep an eye on this forum. It's a mine of information.

EYB have not come to the SW much my Dd danced with them in 2007 and I think I am correct in saying that they have not been in this area since. They seem to go to other places regularly so hopefully if they are happy with how it goes they may come back to Torquay again.

Sorry no idea what I did there !!

Didn't realise someone had already mentioned it x they do take girls of all age groups the details of summer school don't go up until about june/July I think. last year we missed the deadline because we were going away but our plans changed so I rang them and they said she could come along x

It's also one of the more reasonably priced summer schools available x