Perhaps I exaggerated a little about the exclusive and expensive (I thought it was expensive, but perhaps that's just me!),  but there is someone at the entrance to the restaurant accepting the diners and you need to have booked a table before they will let you in. At least that's what I was told.   When it was just the Crush Bar, you could buy a drink or whatever and just hang around admiring the gorgeous chandelier.

Perhaps I exaggerated a little about the exclusive and expensive (I thought it was expensive, but perhaps that's just me!),  but there is someone at the entrance to the restaurant accepting the diners and you need to have booked a table before they will let you in. At least that's what I was told.   When it was just the Crush Bar, you could buy a drink or whatever and just hang around admiring the gorgeous chandelier.

Really?  I find that quite surprising, given that most theatres seem to make as much effort as possible to get you to buy a drink of some sort at the bar.

I agree that a lot of the food sold is very expensive for what it is.  I have eaten at the Floral Hall balcony restaurant, (once) and I would describe the food as up market cafe food at up market restaurant prices.  But nothing can compare with the sheer joy of being in such a wonderful place, and enjoying that terrific view while you sip your wine. 

Edited by Fonty

• 1 year later...

This just arrived in my inbox:

"I’m writing to you as you’ve booked tickets for a matinee performance of Peter Wright’s magical ballet  The Nutcracker.  I thought you would like to know that we have a very special Nutcracker themed afternoon tea available on the same day.

Inspired by characters in the ballet, the Nutcracker Tea will be served in the Crush Room and is full of surprises. Our pastry chefs have devised a rum and vanilla drum cake complete with an edible toy-soldier’s drumstick, and there’s a sumptuous take on Gateau Opéra made with white chocolate and Perigord truffle.

Naturally we have not forgotten younger visitors. The children’s tea includes sandwiches, scones, popping candy Christmas tree cupcakes, candy cane meringues and a Sugar Plum Fairy lemonade flavoured with pomegranate and blueberry.

This special tea costs £37.50 for adults and £18.75 for children under the age of 12 years. VegetarianVeganGluten free, and Dairy free options are also available.

We only have a limited number of spaces available, to find out more or to make a booking please call our restaurants reservation team on +44 (0)20 7212 9254."
  • Like 1

In the old days when the only food the ROH used to provide was sandwiches and cakes, very reasonably priced too, my Mum and I would smile when we went downstairs, usually in the Crush Room, as the crusts were cut off the sandwiches, in the amphi they were always left on, same bread and fillings I think :)

• Like 2

In the old days when the only food the ROH used to provide was sandwiches and cakes, very reasonably priced too, my Mum and I would smile when we went downstairs, usually in the Crush Room, as the crusts were cut off the sandwiches, in the amphi they were always left on, same bread and fillings I think :)

Ha not worth bothering to remove the crusts for the Plebs then! :)

• Like 1

As someone who gets taken out somewhere posh for afternoon tea once a year as a gift, I would say the price is about average, especially if the champagne is included in the price.  However, I would expect to have wonderful cakes, and a choice of several different kinds of loose leaf tea, served in a proper tea pot with a strainer.  Plus an unlimited supply of sandwiches and scones.  And a box to take home any cakes I can't eat.   

• Like 1

Before they turned the Crush Bar at the ROH into an exclusive and very expensive restaurant, which is off bounds for the plebeians, I saw a lovely birthday party there at one of the matinees.  All the little girls were in old-fashioned "sticking-out" party dresses full of frills and ribbons and I could only think of how much I would have loved to have had a birthday tea there when I was a child.  I can't imagine a more perfect birthday treat!

Heh. For me, this would've probably been my childhood birthday treat... :)

3a6aa583d1cdf98e2155d1b753fed13b.jpg

Edited by BristolBillyBob
  • Like 4