Improving musicality?

swanprincess

I think I may sometimes do this in faster pieces being a taller dancer.

It does take a bit of courage in a larger class to move to that front line though!!

In the Russian class I attend the teacher there does alternate the lines and I always feel a bit awkward being in front of some very good dancers so it is natural on the whole for pupils to sort of arrange themselves in what is their perceived ability order!!

But it is good to really have to trust your own ability wherever that lies!

Swanprincess I think your teacher is talking about "feeling" the music. In a free class try not to worry too much about having the steps perfect it is more important to use this time to develop the quality of your dancing. my DD says she often listens to music and it suggests a story or a feeling inside her head and this is what she dances so you might try this and it may help you to really hear the music as somebody said above. I think it is your nature to try to make the steps perfect but unless you are in an RAD exam, in any performance the audience will not know the steps but they will remember the feeling you are dancing, Try to relax and enjoy.

DRSC

• Like 2

Yes, I agree with dramascientist. Try to relax and show that you *enjoy* dancing. Don't think of musicality as just another thing to worry about. It will come as you start to enjoy and respond to the music that you are dancing to.

• Like 1

Thankyou so much for your encouraging responses, I appreciate it so much :)

Yes, I do try to stand at the front in class, which has helped. (A few years ago, I saw a photo of myself in class- standing at the back looking utterly confused. That really motivated me to pretend to be confident and be in the front row wherever possible, which did help me to pick up combinations faster.) But in a piece of repertoire, am I supposed to keep counting the music, or just dance without really thinking about the music? In lyrical/contemporary I find it easier to "feel" the music without counting, but in ballet I think I focus too much on getting the steps right maybe....

Anjuli I see what you mean about taller dancers being ahead of the music..... I'm 5ft2 so don't think that's a problem ;) I tend to be slightly behind the music as opposed to ahead of it, I'm not sure if that is because of not being completely confident with new choreography....

Thanks for the advice about relaxing, I hadn't really thought of it that way, i suppose my dancing will naturally be more expressive when I am more relaxed! :)

• Like 2

It is natural too to want to get the steps right. Precision of execution is an important quality too.

But see if you can get some of the "feeling without counting" you get from the contemporary into the ballet. I don't think its so much dancing without thinking about the music but more dancing feeling the music......I suppose some counting may be going on subconsciously.

I'm sure you would dance a lively Irish jig with a different approach to dancing to a Chopin Nocturne.

I must admit when learning a new piece I do often mutter the steps under my breath to help with the rhythm initially.

But the main thing I think at the mo is to think of yourself as just learning about musicality rather than it is something you can't do.

Yes, Taxi- I started learning piano last September, however due to other commitments, I only really had a lesson once a fortnight. Also, I only had access to a piano on Thursday and Friday evenings when I was at my dad's house, so I couldn't fit in much practice time. There are pianos in the music room at school, so I could practice if I wanted to, the teacher asked me after my last lesson in July, did I intend on continuing to learn after the summer, bearing in mind that I would need to practice for half an hour a day as often as possible. I didn't think I would have time, but having read the comments on here about instruments helping with musicality, I think I should continue to learn piano?

• Like 1

You can pick up decent second hand keyboards or digital pianos quite cheaply (just need to make sure it is weighted full size etc), it might be worth getting one? If you are only beginning they will be fine and then you can practice when you want. You can still make progress doing less than 30 minutes practice a day tbh, although obviously progress will be slower x

SP, Central associates have just added Dalcroze to their saturday associate class schedule. It seems to be about improving musicality and expression and their are some interesting you tube clips on the topic. Perhaps suggest to your associates that they introduce it too!

• Like 1