Audition Photos - How relevant?

Dancingdreams

Not sure if anyone can help but I was wondering just how relevant audition photos are when it comes to selecting students??

Do the audition panel look at these photos before they even see the children.. or are they used a bit like on the 'x-factor... when they are looked at when making a final decision... or in fact are they not really used at all to determine whether the child gets through at all? Or or they only used as a guide and assessment comes from the practical element of the audition?

Also are some ballet schools such as RBS, Elmurst more known to use photographs as choosing student than others?

Thanks.

Whenever I have taken pupils to RBS Audition Insight Days, RBS have always said that the photos are merely used to prompt their memory and to help recognise which candidate they are talking about during panel discussions after the audition. This is why they recommend that girls should wear the same leotard in the audition that they have worn for the photos.

It is different for Summer school and some Super Sunday selections as these are purely on the photos.

That's a really good tip to remember about wearing the same leotard for photos and the audition - it would never have occurred to me!

Does anyone have advice to give about the colour & style of leotard? Don't really want to go for black all the time.

Hi taxi4ballet,

I was always advised the following:

Sleeveless or camisole

A colour as opposed to black

Not too strappy (i.e. a classical cut of leotard with simple lines, not lots of cross straps etc.)

A nice "cut" at the leg to make the legline look as long as possible.

Hair in a simple bun (or plaits on top of head if a little girl) with no decoration other than a matching simple ribbon (no flowers etc!)

Hope that helps! :-)

• Like 2

also when you are auditioning in person you need to show off the legs and muscles to the best you can, ideally avoid tights as then the leg muscles and tone to the best ... unless of course the child isn't well defined in which case tights are the answer :)

high leg leotards work wonders :)

I think the socks/tights issue depends on age of the auditionee. Some audition forms specify socks, but for seniors often they specify tights. I would be hard pressed to get my dd into socks now she's a teenager. :-)

Certainly audition photos for my dd till now (associates, summer school, year 7) have all specified bare feet (and so by association bare legs? Wouldn't have thought of wearing footless ones...) except for one specific Hammond photo that required ballet shoes. (Remember haivng to retake that one as we'd done them all bare-footed!)

Yes, I think it's Upper School auditions and some summer school applications for older girls which specify or allow tights. For Year 7 places we went with bare feet/legs for photos and socks for auditions. However for ENBS Sumner School photos last year dd was wearing tights and ballet shoes.

I read somewhere that it is never a good idea to wear footless tights as they tend to "cut off" the line of the leg and make them appear shorter.

Can't comment on the selection process for the lower schools but certainly at 16+ I know that Rambert select auditionees from photos.

Edited by Kitschqueen_1